Why? No.2 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Lunaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bojov <---> Prague
Posts: 7,246
                     
Why? No.2

Sometimes I really don't understand local policy, guys (mods). Dementianator posted a thread about a serious topic. I was ready to make a reply but it said the thread had been locked. Why? Why don't you allow us to post other suggestions which possibly could contribute to improvement of your overall work on this message board and make it a more pleasant place for us all (btw. that's why the function of forum mods has been established in the first place)? I can understand closing a thread when posters start to harass the mods but I didn't notice anything like that in Dementinator's thread. Or are we forbidden to post comments on your work, even if negative ones?
I myself am a mod on another board so I think I realize how difficult your position could be sometimes but locking a thread isn't always the best idea. I understand that Yasmine wrote you are discussing the matter in your private forum or whatever it is, but maybe some people who are not premium members and therefore don't have access to it would like to express their opinion on this subject as well.

Suicide Tennis: Amelia Island 2008
Lunaris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,044
                     
Re: Why? No.2

My guess is that the mod who closed it thought that the basic question (why are some threads moved/what are the rules) had been answered to the best of our ability at this time - that yes, we're working on a more consistant set of guidelines.

We've heard from people who don't want the threads moved to player forums, and we've heard (a lot) from people who do want some player-specific threads moved. We're trying to work out a policy that's reasonably fair, and enforceable.

If this was not allowing criticism, the thread would have been removed.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Captain of the SS Dementieva
 
Dementinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bridge SS Dementieva
Posts: 15,125
                     
Re: Why? No.2

They are none too keen on Criticsm and are worried they may get more annoyed posters.

I do understands its a tough job moderating these forums and its a job that has to be done, but if you go check the GM rules it makes no reference to posts about specific players, sure you cant post Getty images, fair enough, sure you shouldnt start threads to cause arguments and needlessly bash players, damn good idea, but the mods also need to allow free reign at some point, this forum exists BECAUSE of its posters not despite them, and that needs to be remembered, deleting or moving posts should only be done if harassment or gross infringement of some kind takes place, NOT because a mod decides they dont like it or it doesnt suit them.

If threads containing pics of players off court etc are not allowed in GM, then say so in the rules, it will make the place boring and sterile but if thats whats wanted so be it.

I will say no more on the matter as I have caused enough trouble, I do not intend offence to any other players fans and I really dont care how many Sharapova or Williams threads there are, I dont have to read em if i dont like em, but I would like to see us posters given a bit more freedom, if we were not here then neither will the board.

Captain of the all new SS Dementieva


Once a Lena fan always a Lena fan
Dementinator is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,044
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Did you not read Yasmine's responses in your thread? Or mine here?

We've moved player-specific threads for all the people you've named - 9 times out of 10 because POSTERS complained about them (the case in the Elena thread, btw).

We're working on it (among other things)

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Lunaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bojov <---> Prague
Posts: 7,246
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
My guess is that the mod who closed it thought that the basic question (why are some threads moved/what are the rules) had been answered to the best of our ability at this time - that yes, we're working on a more consistant set of guidelines.
Okay, I just wanted to say that to me it makes no sense at all to lock a thread, even after answering threadstarter's question. Maybe someone has something interesting to add on the matter or simply wish to express their opinion. That should be allowed imho, if that opinion or the way it is expressed doesn't oppose the rules of this forum.

As for the current issue of threads being moved, I just wanted to say that I basically agree with what Goldenlox wrote. I remember a thread about Vaidisova's outfits for 2008 which was moved from the GM into her forum. I agreed with that because it really isn't a topic to be discussed in the GM regardless of how many responses from non-Vaidisova fans it contained. On the other hand I frequently see threads about Venus, Serena or last time even Kuznetsova's schedule which also imo belong into players' forums because they are strictly focused on one player and aren't interesting enough for non-fans of that player, but remain in the GM. If someone really wish to know their schedule I would expect them to make a brief look into their forums.
Threads containing photos are difficult because for those who find that player attractive it should remain in the GM and vice versa.

In the end it's obvious that you can't make everyone happy so just make a clear statement/guideline about this matter so that nobody could complain when it came to moving a thread. Also the GM mods would have a directive which would help them to know better what should and shouldn't be moved, which is the main problem here. Another thing is that we are currently in off-season so maybe the mods could be a little bit less strict.

This surely isn't something you wouldn't make out on your own, but that still isn't enough of a reason to lock a thread and deny me a possibility to write what I think about it. Locking any thread should be avoided if possible, unless it really goes against the rules.

Suicide Tennis: Amelia Island 2008
Lunaris is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,044
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaris View Post
so just make a clear statement/guideline about this matter
Yes, and Yasmine already posted twice in the other thread that we're working on just that.

Quote:
Locking any thread should be avoided if possible, unless it really goes against the rules.
I disagree - threads that really go against the rules get deleted. Threads get locked (often) when an issue has been resolved, or a question has been answered (at least for the time being) and/or there's really nothing left for it but a pointless argument.

The GM issue didn't get resolved, but people were given an explanation and information about what we were doing about it. Particularly in B&E, that's usually the point where things get locked. I might not have bothered, myself, but imo doing so was reasonable.

(As for why some threads get moved but not others - it's because some threads get reported and not others. Rather like over-sized signatures, it's not generally something we go looking for but something we deal with as it's brought to our attention)

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 14,656
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
My guess is that the mod who closed it thought that the basic question (why are some threads moved/what are the rules) had been answered to the best of our ability at this time - that yes, we're working on a more consistant set of guidelines.
If you're still working on establishing proper guidelines, if you still have no clear set of rules to base your decisions on, then how come you act as if your policy re: threads about individual players at GM has already changed? If you haven't set any rules to apply to such cases, then all the moving/locking of threads that has been going on comes across as nothing but arbitrary, and the modding as casuistic, if not random, and amateurish.

So until you have those rules ready, you must do no further moving/locking of threads.

Kvitova * Garcia * Muchova * Konjuh * Dodin * Robson


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage

Last edited by Corswandt; Nov 30th, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Corswandt is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,094
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
If you're still working on establishing proper guidelines, if you still have no clear set of rules to base your decisions on, then how come you act as if your policy re: threads about individual players at GM has already changed? If you haven't set any rules to apply to such cases, then all the moving/locking of threads that has been going on comes across as nothing but arbitrary, and the modding as casuistic, if not random, and amateurish.

So until you have those rules ready, you must do no further moving/locking of threads.
Exactly my thoughts.
In The Zone is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,044
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
If you're still working on establishing proper guidelines, if you still have no clear set of rules to base your decisions on, then how come you act as if your policy re: threads about individual players at GM has already changed?
In fact we had made a decision to move threads that were overly player-specific out of GM. But yes, in practice it turned out that we weren't all on the same page about what constituted "overly player-specific" and that really became clear in the last day or so.

That happens sometimes when your dealing with a large-ish group of people who aren't always online at the same time and have limited time to spend online. Makes us a bit nutty too, sometimes, but I like it better than the alternative of either a) not acting at all or b) having one of us say "fuck it, just do what I say" (I've been here long enough to probably force an issue if I wanted)

We realize we need to work on a set of guidelines, we're doing that now (as has been said ad nauseum in two threads)

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,508
                     
Re: Why? No.2

I think griffin's reasoning has actually been pretty valid, thanks for that

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: Why? No.2

The sticky thread in General Messages has been updated with regard to threads that are not appropriate for that forum.

To sum it up:

live scoring threads --> tournament forum
videos --> media forum
reposted player blogs (unless they address a current tennis topic) --> player forum
fanbase posting messages to itself --> player forum

Threads that were moved in the past will not be returned so don't ask, this is a prospective exercise.

The only exception will be the Dementieva thread that sparked all this drama which I will put back if someone could give me the link.

I did make some effort to find it but instead found some thread about a cruise liner in her forum that made me feel seasick.
Kart is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in your nightmares
Posts: 3,300
                     
Re: Why? No.2

I think you should put a rule about how many threads one can make on GM on a week ,
most of tennis talk about WTA is on top players , most of fun here on the forum are the fights between those fans ,
he general message is not only about the matches and tournements ,
please if you're going to make strict rules make a part on the general forum for Williams , Sharapova , Henin , + other top 10 players , cause general message'll be booring ,
@Sweet Cleopatra is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,061
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I think you should put a rule about how many threads one can make on GM on a week ,
most of tennis talk about WTA is on top players , most of fun here on the forum are the fights between those fans ,
he general message is not only about the matches and tournements ,
please if you're going to make strict rules make a part on the general forum for Williams , Sharapova , Henin , + other top 10 players , cause general message'll be booring ,
We have special parts for those players. We call them player forums.
James is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
The long and winding road.
 
SloKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 50,743
                     
Re: Why? No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
The only exception will be the Dementieva thread that sparked all this drama which I will put back if someone could give me the link.
I have taken the liberty and moved the thread back already.

No.
SloKid is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: Why? No.2

^ Thank you.
Kart is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome