should win her 1st rd

go Sania !!!!!!!!

#7 ·
Sania :banana: :kiss:
well done ;)
good luck in r2 now :D :)

top 150 as well :D

#9 ·
YEAH SANIA!!! WHAT AN AMAZING WIN...CAME BACK FROM A SET AND A BREAK AT 2-3 DOWN IN THE SECOND.....WON THE LAST 10 GAMES OF THE MATCH!!!!!! WHAT AN AMAZING PLAYER...SHE HAS FIGHT......LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HER ON TV IN THE THIRD ROUND WHEN SHE FACES OFF WITH SERENA :bounce: :bounce: ;)

#10 ·
YEAH SANIA!!! WHAT AN AMAZING WIN...CAME BACK FROM A SET AND A BREAK AT 2-3 DOWN IN THE SECOND.....WON THE LAST 10 GAMES OF THE MATCH!!!!!! WHAT AN AMAZING PLAYER...SHE HAS FIGHT......LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HER ON TV IN THE THIRD ROUND WHEN SHE FACES OFF WITH SERENA :bounce: :bounce: ;)

#17 ·
"Well, she won in 48 minutes today and gave away three games ... I won in 50 minutes and also gave away three games. So who knows," Sania said after recording a historic win to become only the first Indian woman to reach the third round of a Grand Slam.

The 18-year-old Hyderabadi walloped 84th ranked Petra Mandula of Hungary 6-2 6-1 in 50 minutes in the second round. The best ever performance by an Indian woman hitherto had been the second round appearance of Nirupama Sanjeev at the same Grand Slam in 1998.

Sania, ranked 166, said the clash with world number seven Serena was "the biggest match of her life" and that if she enjoyed herself on the court she would learn a few things along the way.

"It is the biggest match of my life and I think it is hard to plan too much for it. I am just going to go out there, enjoy playing on a show court," she said in an interview.

"I feel in matches like this, what is most important is that you focus on yourself, put in 200 percent and play the match of your life," Sania said.

"I feel if I can do that I can beat anyone and I should not worry about who is on the other side (of the net)."

Sania said although she carried the expectations of a billion people, the pressure would be more on Serena since she was expected to win.

"The way I see it, I have nothing to lose. Whatever I do on court, I will learn something that will help me in the future.

"On the other hand, Serena will be playing a wild card in front of millions of people watching across the world, someone who she is expected to beat easily. The way I see it, all the pressure is on her."

Sania also said she cherished winning the Wimbledon girls doubles title more than the second round win today.

"Obviously it is wonderful to do well at your first Grand Slam but I am not here to make up the numbers, I am here to win events," she said.

"So I would rate my win in the junior doubles in Wimbledon in 2003 higher than this.

"The (doubles) win at the Hyderabad Open last year was very satisfying too. This day is right up there but I would not say it is the happiest day. Maybe, if I beat Serena..."

Sania said she had shed the nervousness of the big occasion that affected her game in the first round.

"I think today was a lot better than Monday. My nervousness had disappeared and everything felt positive. I think I am getting used to playing at Grand Slams," she said.

Asked if she was surprised at the pace with which she had adapted to tennis on the world's biggest stage, she said, "more than surprising myself, it is people on the tour who are surprised at seeing an Indian girl make a splash on the circuit. Someone who was born and raised in India and who is playing a power game at the international level... they haven't really seen that before."
More here:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-995622,prtpage-1.cms

Level headed brave girl.. wow !!

#18 ·
I can not wait to see her play Serena! I :hearts: Sania so much

#19 ·
WHAT A WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

TAKE OUT SERENA....MAKE SURE THAT SHE NEVER FORGETS YOU

***Serena admitted to never having heard of Sania

#23 · (Edited)
Just thought I would post some post match comments from Sania (thanks go to Globosport her management company)

Sania’s comments after today’s match against Serena Williams.

I was a nervous in the beginning and had butterflies in my stomach because she has a track record that speaks for itself. I had never played someone like her before and she is good enough to double-bagel a lot of much more highly ranked players. So in the beginning I was feeling the pressure to just register on the scoreboard. Once that happened I was a lot more confident and was able to play my natural game.

Once the confidence came and the natural game returned I think I surprised myself. Especially in the first half of the 2nd set where I seemed to be in control of the games and Serena faced 3 break points… I honestly did not expect that I would be able to match her for strength and power.

I have never faced a serve like hers. The power on the first serve was incredible.

I have rarely enjoyed myself more on a tennis court and it was very satisfying to fight back. You could feel the intensity and the change of mood in Serena. In the first set she was very relaxed and calm but she got more and more intense and animated as the match continued. I could see her pump her fists and say “come on” and her grunts got louder and her strokes got harder… it was incredible just feeling that intensity rise.

I think I learnt a lot in this game. I think I learnt about myself and I learnt from a true champion. It amazed me how every-time she faced any pressure she raised the game. Especially when down a break, in fact at all the pressure points. When I was down 15-40 in the second-last game at match-point and then pulled off those 4 shots, especially that 1st forehand down the line winner on the run, I could see her surprise and I could see her determination to make sure she closed the match and that’s what she did. She’s got the mind of a winner.

I’m really happy because although people have spoken about potential and I have always believed in myself, you never know for sure until you play the best. Regardless of ranking I believe she is the world’s best player and I am happy that I could compete. I showed me that I can really play at a Top 10 level if I keep improving. I felt that if it was one of the other seeds today and I played the way I did in the 2nd set I would have won. That gives me the encouragement to work on my 2nd serve, my variation, my fitness and my court coverage. I don’t think I should be happy with Top-100 or Top-50. I want to perform at the highest level consistently.

She was really sweet after the match. She said that it was great playing someone from India and that at age 18, I have a lot of potential, and would make India proud. She also congratulated me for a good match. Later at the press conference she said that the match was much tougher than the scoreline indicated.

Brad Gilbert, who coached both Agassi and Roddick to the top on the men’s side came up to me after the match. He said that he has seen the match and was impressed. He also said that he had heard I was being coached by Bob Brett and that he was a good guy. He said that he expected me to at least be in the Top 50 in the next 12 months.

Now I’m just looking forward to going home to Hyderabad for a week and resting my ankle which is a bit sore. If I recover in time I will play in Thailand in a week. If not then I will play next at the Hyderabad Open. Hopefully the organizers Globosport will give me a wild card like the last two years because this yearI plan to win the event. I know I can do it and nothing will be better than to win my first singles senior title in my home town in my home tournament.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.