Wildcard chat - TennisForum.com
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,104
                     
Wildcard chat

I assume the French Open use this weeks rankings for the direct entry cut off. Ferro's run to the semi finals of Lugano will therefore have secured her place in the main draw, joining Garcia, Parmentier, Cornet and Mladenovic (didn't realise Pauline was the current French #2 ).

How do you see the 6 French wildcard picks going?

The next 6 in by ranking would be:

203 Ponchet
211 Paquet
217 Georges
237 A Hesse
263 Tan
316 Albie (who will also have 25k+H F points), so is about 278 in the live rankings

Other potentials would be 18 year old Burel (486), 16 year old Parry (546) who has recent 25k+H (Q)QF points to add on to boost that ranking further, and potentially Dodin, who made the Sunderland 25k QF last week on her return from injury, although I'm not sure what her current relationship is like with the the FFT, nor if she qualifies for any sort of relevant PR.

The US wildcard will go to the the most successful home player in their 4 clay ITF events and I assume Australia will have their usual playoff?
Paullow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 11:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,858
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

France is doing a "WILD CARD race" this year . 2 main draw WCs: 1st for the winner of the race, 2nd WC to the first french player not in already in the main draw on the WTA Porsche Race Singles ranking of May 13 2019.

Best 3 results , maximum of 2 $25K and player must play at least 2 tournaments

Petit-Bourg - $25,000 – week of january 14
Andrézieux-Bouthéon - $60,000 – week of january 21
Grenoble - $25,000 – week of february 4
Macon - $25,000 – week of february 25
Croissy-Beaubourg - $60,000 – week of march 25
Calvi - $25,000 – week of april 8
Cagnes-sur-Mer - $100,000 – week of may 6

Race France Ranking( April 9) http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/file...2019_dames.pdf

There are 3 qualifying WCs. First WC will go to the first french player in the "RACE France " not in the qualifying draw, Second WC will go to the first french player in the "WTA PORSCHE RACE" not in the qualifying draw and third WC will go to the best junior(ITF Junior top 30 or won a Grade 1 between January 1 and May 12)
CrossCourt~Rally and Boogaloo like this.
guichard is offline  
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 08:32 AM
country flag Zin
Senior Member
 
Zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,176
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Albie is almost certain to get a MDWC, leading both "French tournaments race" and the WTA Race (by adding Calvi points). That's probably not what FFT was expecting when they established these rules...
As for now, if FFT follows their rules, MDWC would go to Albié and Ponchet, QWC would go to Georges (if she's not directly in, otherwise Lim), Tan and Burel.
Don't know how they will attribute the others WCs.
Zin is offline  
 
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,959
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

For the love of God, please do not put Amandine Hesse in another Roland Garros main draw
Rex59, nevetssllim and Javi like this.
mckyle. is offline  
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,104
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

I wasn't aware of those new changes, but that's generally a good thing.

Ponchet was in Bolton the week before so it did make sense to combine that with Sunderland 25k, like a lot of the Sunderland field did (Anderson, Stojanovic, Marcinkevica, Chwalinska etc.), but with Calvi being much weaker, despite being a +H event (e.g. Jodie Burrage just sneaked into Sunderland in 13th place, but would have been a seed in Calvi), I wonder if Ponchet regrets not heading there instead (she'd have avoided the Tara Moore embarrassment anyway, ha) - although saying that, I'd be stunned if she wasn't one of the 6 anyway, either via this new system or being an obvious pick if not automatic.
Paullow is offline  
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Qalahari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere in your dreams
Posts: 60,832
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Do you think two time RG SFist Bacsinszky who lives near the French border and is just 6 out of MD could receive a MDWC here?
Qalahari is online now  
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,104
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qalahari View Post
Do you think two time RG SFist Bacsinszky who lives near the French border and is just 6 out of MD could receive a MDWC here?
I'd say she'd have as much chance as someone like Naomi Broady. I.e. not much.
Paullow is offline  
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,858
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qalahari View Post
Do you think two time RG SFist Bacsinszky who lives near the French border and is just 6 out of MD could receive a MDWC here?
May be if she does well in the clay season ?
guichard is offline  
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,104
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

There's been no female MDWC outside of French players and the reciprocal WCs since 2000 when former winner Iva Majoli received one, and even then, the other 7 all went to French players - they're surely not going to give less than 6 to French players this year. They didn't even give Schiavone one last year who was a former champ, never mind semi finalist.
Paullow is offline  
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,858
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullow View Post
There's been no female MDWC outside of French players and the reciprocal WCs since 2000 when former winner Iva Majoli received one, and even then, the other 7 all went to French players - they're surely not going to give less than 6 to French players this year. They didn't even give Schiavone one last year who was a former champ, never mind semi finalist.
100% correct I don't think they will but it was no surprise Schiavone did not get one
guichard is offline  
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 53,195
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

My picks:

MD

Ponchet (best ranked French)
Paquet (only French player at RG last year with wins in singles, doubles and mixed)
Dodin (former top 50 coming back from injury)
Tan (still young, won 2 rounds in qualies last year)
Burel (junior #1 a few months ago, multiple junior Slam finalist, got already a MDWC in Australia with a good showing)
Parry (without a doubt, France greatest prospect; beautiful game, probably a year or two younger than an expected MDWC but honestly, her competition is kinda old and hopeless so why not?)

QWC

Georges
Albie
Andrianjafitrimo
Hesse
Yerolymos
Noel
Bencheikh
Janicijevic


** This said, due to the new rule Albie seems pretty safe as MDWC and in normal conditions based on results, Tan or Paquet MDWC would be a big WTF but competition is so weak in French tennis that it is what it is.
david likes this.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 75,576
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
France is doing a "WILD CARD race" this year . 2 main draw WCs: 1st for the winner of the race, 2nd WC to the first french player not in already in the main draw on the WTA Porsche Race Singles ranking of May 13 2019.

Best 3 results , maximum of 2 $25K and player must play at least 2 tournaments

Petit-Bourg - $25,000 – week of january 14
Andrézieux-Bouthéon - $60,000 – week of january 21
Grenoble - $25,000 – week of february 4
Macon - $25,000 – week of february 25
Croissy-Beaubourg - $60,000 – week of march 25
Calvi - $25,000 – week of april 8
Cagnes-sur-Mer - $100,000 – week of may 6

Race France Ranking( April 9) http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/file...2019_dames.pdf

There are 3 qualifying WCs. First WC will go to the first french player in the "RACE France " not in the qualifying draw, Second WC will go to the first french player in the "WTA PORSCHE RACE" not in the qualifying draw and third WC will go to the best junior(ITF Junior top 30 or won a Grade 1 between January 1 and May 12)
Is there an updated ranking for this?
Daebak. is offline  
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,858
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebak. View Post
Is there an updated ranking for this?
Here it is . It is strange they are not updating the pdf

Daebak. likes this.
guichard is offline  
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,724
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

I'm confused. I thought there would only be a few WCs this year (2 MDWC and 3 QWC), with that new race rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
My picks:

MD

Ponchet (best ranked French)
Paquet (only French player at RG last year with wins in singles, doubles and mixed)
Dodin (former top 50 coming back from injury)
Tan (still young, won 2 rounds in qualies last year)
Burel (junior #1 a few months ago, multiple junior Slam finalist, got already a MDWC in Australia with a good showing)
Parry (without a doubt, France greatest prospect; beautiful game, probably a year or two younger than an expected MDWC but honestly, her competition is kinda old and hopeless so why not?)

QWC

Georges
Albie
Andrianjafitrimo
Hesse
Yerolymos
Noel
Bencheikh
Janicijevic


** This said, due to the new rule Albie seems pretty safe as MDWC and in normal conditions based on results, Tan or Paquet MDWC would be a big WTF but competition is so weak in French tennis that it is what it is.

Amelie

Dodin - Andrianjafitrimo - Kuznetsova - Kvitova - Rezai - Razzano - Mladenovic - Osaka - Cornet - Garcia - Paquet
floco is offline  
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 08:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,209
                     
Re: Wildcard chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
My picks:

MD

Ponchet (best ranked French)
Paquet (only French player at RG last year with wins in singles, doubles and mixed)
Dodin (former top 50 coming back from injury)
Tan (still young, won 2 rounds in qualies last year)
Burel (junior #1 a few months ago, multiple junior Slam finalist, got already a MDWC in Australia with a good showing)
Parry (without a doubt, France greatest prospect; beautiful game, probably a year or two younger than an expected MDWC but honestly, her competition is kinda old and hopeless so why not?)

QWC

Georges
Albie
Andrianjafitrimo
Hesse
Yerolymos
Noel
Bencheikh
Janicijevic


** This said, due to the new rule Albie seems pretty safe as MDWC and in normal conditions based on results, Tan or Paquet MDWC would be a big WTF but competition is so weak in French tennis that it is what it is.

Yeah I can't disagree with these MDWC choices if I was taking it at face value. This new "race situation" might thrown Albie in over Tan or Parry.

Reix is the only other name worth mentioning but we all know FFT hate her. French tennis is weak and now that Ferro has finally picked herself up into MD contention they literally have no choices of relevance. Dodin aside because of her injury.

R.I.P Bally

Thankyou for years of service to British tennis




@Joeh_37
joeh37 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome