TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Nadia Podoroska cheering thread
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2014, 03:26 PM
country flag Tripp

Smile Nadia Podoroska cheering thread

Nadia won her second pro tournament this week and I think it's about time she gets her own thread.

She was born in Rosario on February 10th, 1997, the granddaugther of Ukranian-born immigrants. She's a right hander who usually plays on clay, though her explosive game is extremely well suited for hard courts.

Her first WTA point came in a $10.000 tournament in Concepción, Chile, back when she was only 14 years and 9 months old -making her the third youngest player from Argentina to obtain WTA points behind none other than Gabriela Sabatini and Gisela Dulko-.

Her big breakthrough came in a $25.000 tournament played in her hometown where she managed to get to the QF by beating María Irigoyen, then ranked in the top 200. I was lucky enough to watch that match live and wrote a report on it here at Tennisforum, which you can find here: https://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....1&postcount=47

She had a couple of minor injuries that kept her sidelined for some months and stagnated her rise in the rankings for the following months, not making much progress in that area in 2013. She did, however, manage to win her first pro title at Santiago in November, beating local Cecilia Costa-Melgar in the final after a strange retirement with the player from Chile actually leading 5-3 in the third set before calling it quits.

Now she won her second tournament -a $10K, as well- in Lima, beating former top 100 Anastasia Pivovarova in the SF and will be ranked near the 550th position in the new rankings.

I read somewhere that her goal is to make it to the top 500 before Roland Garros, which would allow her to play the qualies of the Junior Grand Slams.

She's been coached by Carlos Rampello since she was a kid, and has been a hitting partner for the Fed Cup team, which acknowledges her as one of its future stars.

Here's to a great year for Nadia and many more wins to come

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome