US Open WC speculation, discussion, chat, etc.
US Open WC is always fun to discuss because unlike the other three GS, there are many American players that could be potentially in the running for the WC and there are only THREE discretionary MD WCs to be allocated. Past two years, USTA gave the remaining WCs to the three highest American ALTs.
1. WC Challenge: Sofia Kenin
2. NCAA Winner: Brienne Minor
3. French WC
4. Australian WC
5. USTA Girls Nationals Champ: Ashley Kratzer
6. Kayla Day (Prolly a LOCK at this point. She won USO Jr, won a match last year, still young, managed to win a match last week at Stanford, #3 American ALT)
7. Kristie Ahn (#1 American ALT player, improved massively over the last 52 weeks. Last year USTA gave the WC to the three highest American ALTs)
8. Nicole Gibbs (Reached R2 last year, #2 American ALT.)
But apart from winning against Liu this week (or rather a choke from Liu) , her season has been very mediocre. Last year the WCs, Davis was in the Washington F and King reached Nanchang F.
This year, there aren't alot to choose from, but I guess Bernada Pera deserves the WC the most this year for having a resurgent year (albeit most of the wins were on clay), but she's not trained with the USTA.
Other potential WC choices: Caroline Dolehide, Amanda Anisimova (though I hope she'll play Q instead, she's more than capable to qualify on her own),
Last edited by Harju.; Aug 14th, 2017 at 08:24 AM.