TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Italian Open 2004
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old May 11th, 2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
country flag V.S.

Serena wins in return from knee injury

May 11, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports
ROME -- Serena Williams won her first match after a month off with a knee injury, beating Maria Sanchez Lorenzo 7-5, 6-3 Tuesday to reach the Italian Open's third round.

Williams, who received a first-round bye, looked a bit rusty. She lost the first two games, won five in a row, then lost three straight to 5-5 in the first set.

The American also lost the first two games of the second set before taking control for good.

"It was a struggle today. I hit a lot of fly balls," said Williams, the 2002 Italian Open champion. "But as long as I won, I'm really excited."

She hadn't played since pulling out of a tournament in Charleston, S.C., last month, when her left knee flared up. She had surgery on the knee in August and returned to action in March, winning her first tournament back.

Also Tuesday, 2000 French Open champion Mary Pierce beat Argentine qualifier Gisela Dulko 6-1, 6-4, Croatian teen Karolina Sprem eliminated Daniela Hantuchova 6-2, 6-2, No. 13-seeded Conchita Martinez defeated Yuliana Fedak 6-1, 6-1, and No. 16 Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi beat Magui Serna 6-2, 6-4.

The Official Fashionista of the Royal Court

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome