Re: Vera Zvonareva - Interview Thread
I translate it from portuguese to english using Google, so there can be some mistakes.
Growing market and open to investment, potential for growth in the number of female tennis fans, promoters and success experienced in performing international sporting events. Government support and national federation are also important. It was based on the above characteristics that the WTA chose Istanbul, Turkey, to carry out their WTA Championship, an event that brings together the eight players who totaled more points in the season. From Monday, the Turkish city will see Caroline Wozniacki, Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Vera Zvonareva, Samantha Stosur, Na Li and Agnieszka Radwanska.
In a few years, however, may be Brazil receiving the same event. Who speaks is not a local politician wanting to appear, but the president of the WTA, Stacey Allaster, who answered questions GLOBOESPORTE.COM by e-mail and explained the reasons to perform the WTA Championship in rotation for growth markets. She says it is difficult to bring to Brazil the tournament circuit like many others, but notes that the Championship would be feasible in the country.
- The growth of tennis in strategic markets around the world is a priority for the WTA. Brazil has a market with enormous growth potential and we are watching him. In the current calendar, we still can not include a WTA tournament in Brazil. However, it would be great to take the WTA Championship, a perfect way to have the crème de la crème of women's tennis in this wonderful country. We are waiting for opportunities to take the WTA markets like Brazil in the future.
Istanbul has a contract to host the event year-end 2013, and there is nothing set in relation to the seat next. Brazil is in favor of not requiring a great tennis player's home. Turkey, for example, has only two players in the top 300 - and Çağla Büyükakçay Pemra Ozgen - and a man among world's top 100. Here, the numbers are identical: Vivian Segnini Vaisemberg and Roxane in the top 300 and top 100 in Thomaz Bellucci.
Headquarters of the World Championship in 2010 will receive the
WTA Championship this year (Getty Images)
Opportunity for growth
Hosting an event of this size is a great chance to generate more interest in the sport and create a new generation of players - something that Brazil needs. In the case of Istanbul, the Turkish federation has from time to leverage this mode. By e-mail, the organization's president, Ayda Uluc, emphasizes that the groundwork will be key.
- I believe that if we build a strong system for children, our shoes have no further problems. One of our purposes is to make shoes for everyone. Once everyone has the same chance to play, our mission is complete. In the Turkish federation, our goal is to take the sport across the country. If children begin to play early, we have built the foundations to make the sport grow.
Potential for Turkey is not lacking. Allaster points out that the WTA has done market research and discovered that the country is the greatest female tennis spectators in the world. In addition, 55% of respondents said they were going to tennis tournaments if Turkey based more important events - today there are only small tournament in the country.
The WTA Championship will house the Sinan Erdem Dome, the same gym that received the World Championship in 2010. This time, however, the site will have the top ring closed. Instead of 16 000 places in the orange ball, tennis will be 7000. Thus, there is no risk of having matches with the empty gym. Uluc Second, almost all tickets were sold out a month in advance. The leader is content with the growth of interest in tennis in the country.
- Now, the Turkish tennis has become as important as volleyball and basketball. The media attention in national meets and is much easier to find sponsors now - he points out.
Ayda Uluc, Turkish federation president, wants to see
tennis grow in the country (Getty Images)
In fact, the event which starts on Monday has partners in weight. The main one is TEB-BNP Paribas, Turkish arm of French bank that sponsors major tournaments like Roland Garros and Masters 1000 Indian Wells and Rome. Rolex, traditional watch manufacturer, was another brand that helped bring the tournament to Istanbul.
Zvonareva happy with Turkey trip
The holding out of the WTA Championship Tennis traditional markets like New York, Paris, London or Madrid appeals to players. By telephone, Russian Vera Zvonareva stressed that Doha (Qatar), seat of the tournament last season, has really benefited by the event.
- I think that Istanbul has great potential. The Turkish people love sports in general. Volleyball and football are sports too large. They already have a tradition in the sport. I think that's the difference between Turkey and Doha, in a certain way. In Qatar, they only follow football. The other sports are poorly developed. The WTA Championship there was one of the biggest events in the region and I think it brought attention to tennis. Many children began to play. Hard to say, but I hope that we have influenced a good way to Doha. I hope to bring tennis to Istanbul to make the sport grow a lot in the country. Many children can begin to play. You will not see immediately, but maybe in some years have more players coming out of Turkey - Russia said beauty.
Zvonareva also said that even if Brazil will not receive a match coming up, I would like to visit Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Its passage was only in 2002 when Costa do Sauipe (BA) still host a women's tournament and still made his Russian debut in the top 50. She had to play the qualifying and did not reach the primary key.
- Visit Brazil is one of my dreams. I went to Bahia a long, long time and only for two days. I can not remember anything. I would love to play tennis there. It would be an excellent opportunity for me to see the country and promote tennis. In 2002 he was a very short trip. I arrived in the United States at night, I played the next morning, I lost the match and came away a day later. I want to go to Sao Paulo to Rio and I'm sure the country is very beautiful.