TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Biographies of Female Tennis Players
View Single Post
post #1351 of (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:35 PM
country flag LKK

Re: Biographies of Female Tennis Players

MORTIMER, “ANGELA” (Florence Angela Margaret Mortimer)
United Kingdom
Born 21 April 1932 in Plymouth, Devon, England.
Married John Edward Barrett, 3 April 1967
Other nicknames: “Mort”

A dogged competitor who overcame technical limitations, "Mort" is arguably the best British female after World War II.

Mortimer started at the late age of 15, but a steady devotion to practice saw her improve rapidly under the tutelage of coach Arthur Roberts.

Her 1955 triumph at the French was the first British singles major since Dorothy Round in 1937. A second major came from a trip to Australia in 1958.

Her greatest achievement was in taking the Wimbledon crown at last in 1961. The adulation normally reserved for English Wimbledon champions went instead to fellow Brit Christine Truman. Truman, the darling of the crowd, fell in the third set.

Her autobiography is titled My Waiting Game, a reference to her long awaited Wimbledon title in 1961. Husband John Barrett was elected to the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2014, making John and Angela just one of two couples (Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi are the other) to have that honor.

Quote:
I could hear the applause of the crowd, but not much else, I think it helped me concentrate, shutting out distractions. When I hear players say they need to hear the ball, I smile. I couldn’t. --Angela on the gradual decline in her hearing, leading to partial deafness

With the ultimate prize-1961. Christine Truman is on the left

Sources:

Mortimer, Angela. My Waiting Game. 1962

https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-f...timer-barrett/

Last edited by Rollo; Mar 23rd, 2016 at 07:24 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome