The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Congrats to Random Run - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
 106Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Silent Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Russian Sex Toy
Posts: 27,196
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
It is too late. I already listened to the tracks, commented them, and sent my ratings this morning.
Do you expect the whole world to attune to your ignorance? You'll have 10 days to re-listen, re-send and re-think your dreadful attitude.
to paradise. likes this.

Serpentine serpentine
Never straight line serpentine


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsy View Post
I want to dirty talk then our crews brawl then cuddle (while listening Paranoid London)
Silent Bird is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Silent Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Russian Sex Toy
Posts: 27,196
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
I agree with Silent Bird
Please, I am the voice of reason.

Serpentine serpentine
Never straight line serpentine


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsy View Post
I want to dirty talk then our crews brawl then cuddle (while listening Paranoid London)
Silent Bird is offline  
post #153 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,808
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Just downvote the song, why all the fuss.
Boreas is offline  
 
post #154 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 09:03 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hugues Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manosque
Posts: 34,867
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
I agree with Silent Bird

Hugues, I see your point, but it's clear that Mauriac didn't add the sentence about the wiki-list "as a suggestion", because in that case he would have clearly said so.
I'm curious to understand your logic of reading more something than another when nothing else is said. To not read a restriction in this case is by far the most logical move.

Who cares of hypertrophic weapons when the player on the court moves like music?
Hugues Daniel is online now  
post #155 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 09:10 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hugues Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manosque
Posts: 34,867
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bird View Post
Do you expect the whole world to attune to your ignorance? You'll have 10 days to re-listen, re-send and re-think your dreadful attitude.
Do you expect the whole world to attune to your pettiness? Y'all have to accept two post-punk songs that aren't on the wiki list. The theme is post-punk and those two songs ARE post-punk.

Mauriac's initial care was that the theme had to be respected. It was. That was the logic behind the wiki list apparently. To be sure nobody would submit unfitting songs to the genre.

I'm sorry, no matter what was added in the thread, the theme is not "WIKI POST-PUNK".

Who cares of hypertrophic weapons when the player on the court moves like music?
Hugues Daniel is online now  
post #156 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Chionophile
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cryosphere
Posts: 39,566
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

I guess we all know which one is Huge Daniel’s song...

Dancing and Skating through Life


Sam L is offline  
post #157 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 09:23 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hugues Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manosque
Posts: 34,867
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
And I never get this "I'm excused for not sending an elegible song, because I'm not supposed to read the whole thread." I mean, this is a forum and the idea is that we read eachother posts in threads that we are interested in, no? Not saying it couldn't happen to me but using it as an excuse?
An excuse to what? To not accept a mess? Is it written WIKI POST-PUNK? No? So what? Why the fuss? Enjoy the post-punk songs or do your fascist duty. Seriously.

The narrative about having to read each other is quite funny to hear, I have to admit. Let's dig the irony.

Who cares of hypertrophic weapons when the player on the court moves like music?
Hugues Daniel is online now  
post #158 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Random Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,407
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
I'm curious to understand your logic of reading more something than another when nothing else is said. To not read a restriction in this case is by far the most logical move.
But tbh I think many (if not most of us) understood the same thing. That's why there was a whole debate early on with Mauriac about what he defined as post-punk and why he chose to limit it to a Wikipedia list (that could have very well been edited in the meanwhile) and a long discussion about whether U2 have made post-punk in their careers or not - the list is limited mostly to UK and US acts, going for acts that have marginally made music in the genre e.g. Thompson Twins.

I, for one, understood it as a restriction and not a suggestion because Mauriac never said he "suggested" to pick an act from the list but seemed to ask to downright do it - I believe that was the same for Joris considering his post. Pretty much every post until #50 or so pretty much confirmed that in my eyes. If I didn't believe it was a restriction, I would have chosen an entirely different act, you can be sure about that.

I also think we can take much more themes as an Open game if we take take not-using restrictive terms like "only" or "have to" in the theme description as mere suggestions - let's not open the door to disingenuous readings. Mauriac said "My theme is Post Punk. A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible." - by that stance then I can say he didn't define Britney Spears as an ineligible act because he never said it's only post-punk acts.
The Crow and Silent Bird like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
Ban that ho forever
Random Run is offline  
post #159 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 09:48 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hugues Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manosque
Posts: 34,867
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Run View Post
But tbh I think many (if not most of us) understood the same thing. That's why there was a whole debate early on with Mauriac about what he defined as post-punk and why he chose to limit it to a Wikipedia list (that could have very well been edited in the meanwhile) and a long discussion about whether U2 have made post-punk in their careers or not - the list is limited mostly to UK and US acts, going for acts that have marginally made music in the genre e.g. Thompson Twins.

I, for one, understood it as a restriction and not a suggestion because Mauriac never said he "suggested" to pick an act from the list but seemed to ask to downright do it - I believe that was the same for Joris considering his post. Pretty much every post until #50 or so pretty much confirmed that in my eyes. If I didn't believe it was a restriction, I would have chosen an entirely different act, you can be sure about that.

I also think we can take much more themes as an Open game if we take take not-using restrictive terms like "only" or "have to" in the theme description as mere suggestions - let's not open the door to disingenuous readings. Mauriac said "My theme is Post Punk. A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible." - by that stance then I can say he didn't define Britney Spears as an ineligible act because he never said it's only post-punk acts.
So now my reading is disingenuous!

Come on... I can't believe everybody would read a restriction that is not specified. That makes three of you at any rate. Pretty worrying if you ask me... and I'm not disingenuous in any way.

Why the fact to add "a song by any artists on the wikipedia list is eligible" should be more a restriction than a bonus? What kind of open mind is this?

Really, it never occured to me it could be a restriction. Probably because I don't see any logic in such restriction since it's first about sending a post-punk song... Sorry for being a logical person.

Seriously, if the challenge is to stick to a wiki list, which is then totally restrictive, then call it WIKI POST-PUNK. That may sound ridiculous, but it's the right purpose. And I still hear SB singing about this game being only about the music.

Who cares of hypertrophic weapons when the player on the court moves like music?
Hugues Daniel is online now  
post #160 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Random Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,407
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

I believe it's more than three of us considering more posters chimed in about the theme when the thread was opened.

Anyway, the decision is Mauriac's to take and it's pointless to continue babbling about it. And he did use the word "restriction" in other posts
Random Run is offline  
post #161 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 10:16 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hugues Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manosque
Posts: 34,867
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Run View Post
I believe it's more than three of us considering more posters chimed in about the theme when the thread was opened.

Anyway, the decision is Mauriac's to take and it's pointless to continue babbling about it. And he did use the word "restriction" in other posts
I have read the pages now and some of you WERE surprised to know it was restricted to the wiki list. Which clearly means it wasn't obvious at all from the theme as it was stated. So the problem here IS to fix rules in following posts instead of keeping them clear from the start. As illustrated by players like me who didn't read those pages this time around.

Are all players supposed to read all the pages to be sure of sending the right pick now? The OP isn't enough? It's already enough to have to check the used songs list to be sure it wasn't sent before, don't you think? Good luck gathering many new players in BSG this way. It's not my concern after all.

Who cares of hypertrophic weapons when the player on the court moves like music?
Hugues Daniel is online now  
post #162 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauriac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On Echo Beach
Posts: 11,800
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bird View Post
The rules WERE clear, for everyone with a functional brain.

Besides, if you want the proof:










Now, fuck off
I would have put it more politely but SB is correct. As he has demonstrated we discussed this at the start and whilst I recognised the limitations of using the wiki lists I feel that they provide clear boundaries. Using Wikipedia was supposed to stop arguments, not start them.
The Crow and Silent Bird like this.

Ash Barty - Angelique Kerber - Johanna Konta - Naomi Osaka - Nadia Petrova - Laura Robson - Aryna Sabalenka- Taylor Townsend - Heather Watson

Hold fast to dreams | For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird |That cannot fly.
- Langston Hughes
Mauriac is offline  
post #163 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 11:36 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hugues Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manosque
Posts: 34,867
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriac View Post
I would have put it more politely but SB is correct. As he has demonstrated we discussed this at the start and whilst I recognised the limitations of using the wiki lists I feel that they provide clear boundaries. Using Wikipedia was supposed to stop arguments, not start them.
So what do you decide?

Because discussing over ten pages to know exactly what we can send isn't exactly a passion of mine. It's already enough to satisfy oneself with a fitting choice once in awhile.

Who cares of hypertrophic weapons when the player on the court moves like music?
Hugues Daniel is online now  
post #164 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauriac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On Echo Beach
Posts: 11,800
                     
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

The decision is that the band has to be on the Wikipedia list. Apart from anything else, it wouldn't' be fair otherwise on those people who would have liked to send a song from a band not on the list
Silent Bird likes this.

Ash Barty - Angelique Kerber - Johanna Konta - Naomi Osaka - Nadia Petrova - Laura Robson - Aryna Sabalenka- Taylor Townsend - Heather Watson

Hold fast to dreams | For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird |That cannot fly.
- Langston Hughes
Mauriac is offline  
post #165 of 262 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
 
SRB Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,436
 
Wikipedia my ***... I don't agree with this part as there are numerous acts that are not 100% post-punk, but it's your game. I had many "weird" themes, so why would not I play with your rules as well. 🤷 Restriction can work amazingly good. Still like what this game is opting.

BSG Hall of Fame
TF: Game 186 - Letta Mbulu "Hamba Nam We", Game 218 - Mr Flagio "Take A Chance", Game 222 - Blue Cheer "Peace Of Mind", Game 239 - Sade "Kiss Of Life", Game 248 - Denis & Denis "Program tvog kompjutera", Game 261 - The Black Angels "Bad Vibrations"

MTF: Game 37 - Michel Banabila "Fragments of Memory, Game 57 - Jean-Jacques Perrey "E.V.A.", Game 59 - Heilung "Krigsgaldr"
PROUD FAN OF GOATMILA GIORGI!!! FORZA CAMI!
SRB Analyst is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome