US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
country flag HOS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,617
                     
Question US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Anyone know?
Granville looked like she ame back form her injury but is missing again.
The great white hope Glatch had a purple patch in May-June last year but then went MIA. injured? given up?

Looks like Harkleroad will continue her tentative return this US summer, Ditty also trying to come back.

WTF is going on with Carly Gullickson.
Like I love her, watching ehr play and seeing her aournd the grounds of events she seems like an absolute sewatheart and hink she has a great game- she obvioulsy needs to get fitter, like Glatch, she had a real purple patch in Apr-June last year and I finally thought she woudl make a breakthrugh- maybe maturing a bit later like some other serve volleyers, she won the US Open mixed (wasa reserve WC for singles too, maybe highlighting some confidence the USTA had in her)but has done nothing great since last June. Anyone know what is happening? after playing crap she has gone MIA as well. Inj? No motivation? No longer playing? Any info woudl be great, I hope she comes back strong this US summer..

In regards to WC's for the US Open.....
I can't see any of these guys getting a WC for the MD.

Maybe for QD? Guess the USTA will wait till a few events occur in the summer (ITF and WTA) before comfirming anything


At this early stage I woudl guess
1. U 18 winner
2. France:
3. Australia:
4. S Stephens (reason: great spring, young)
5. C McHale (reason: seems to be a fav, given her lots of opp's)
6. A Riske (reason: Birmingham)
7. J Hampton (reason: great run on ITF's)
8. Depends on the U18 winner I think. USTA woudl be hanging for maybe S Rogers to win so they can give this one to Coco.
Other contenders may be Harkleroad- but I reckon they may give her a WC into QD.
Maybe Brengle- the old McHale- as in gave her everything.

QD WC's will obvilusy depend on the WC for MD but you'd say contenders woudl be Carly Gullickson (maybe I am hoping!!) Couts, Hsu, Cako, Ahn, Boserup, Muhammed maybe Albanese if she isnt there by herself.
I think the Un 18 finalist is also a sure thing? YEah?

You have to think a 30 year old -more retirements than hot breakkies-milked my famous dad story- 1999 wimby semifinalist- Alexandra Stevenson has done her dash
Again Doubles pair up's for WC's I'd loive to see (again depending on what happens to their rank over summer
1. Gullikson- Harkleroad
2. Rogers-Stephens
3. Couts -Albanese
4. Riske-Hampton
5. Ahn- Muhammed
6. U 18 winners: (if not above)
HOS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Auckland
Posts: 11,428
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

I think Julia Cohen deserves a US Open MD WC . She won a round in qualies at the French.

She is ranked in the top 200 and plays a great schedule.

She may not be as 'talented' as the other American juniors, but you know she will acheive more with her brain.

Not to mention she beat Sloane 3 & 3 just last week.
Mana is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
country flag HOS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,617
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

yeah, you coudl consider her- she certaily takes a tough road on tour, often in s america. Is she 20 now? They may say too old? Maybe if she missed a MD WC they could give her a doubles WC with albanese maybe? (who is in a similar boat i reckon)
HOS is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Auckland
Posts: 11,428
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
yeah, you coudl consider her- she certaily takes a tough road on tour, often in s america. Is she 20 now? They may say too old? Maybe if she missed a MD WC they could give her a doubles WC with albanese maybe? (who is in a similar boat i reckon)
Yeah for sure. Her and Lauren have already won a tournament together this year.
Mana is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Worshipping the bangs
 
miffedmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Larsson's Player Forum
Posts: 62,496
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Glatch's disappearing act is fucking killing me.

Max
Pass the duct tape and super glue. Lena's done broke my heart one last time.
Onward my LOB! Lena (ret.) Vika Vee Caro Alexa Sabs Wicky Lesia Vania BMS Ekat Andi H. Jo-La Lena V KP2 Lil Bit Kiki Mini Mak Baby Veronika Lucie Cornelia
V Squad, The LOB Elite: Vika, Venus and the Mad Viking of Norrland The LOB ROTC: Anisimova Kostyuk Tauson
Jo-La Duchess of Norrland and Bastad
Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Senior Member
 
the jamierbelyea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 6,840
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Chelsey Gullickson will almost surely get a MDWC, and if not 100% sure she will get a QWC. Chelsey won NCAAs this year and Amanda McDowell (2008) is the only American-born winner of NCAAs that hasn't gotten a MDWC into the US Open in the past 10 years or so.

On the same not Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette will likely get MDWC into the doubles event. The last time an American team won NCAAs 2008, Riza Zalameda and Tracy Lin received one.
the jamierbelyea is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,261
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Julia Cohen should not receive a MD WC.


Uranium is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Caralenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15,640
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

https://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

Caralenko is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
hellas719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATHENS GR
Posts: 50,589
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Granville came back but she retired in her last match, so she's probably injured
hellas719 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
CrossCourt~Rally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Getting Up, Dusting Off
Posts: 167,045
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Granville came back but she retired in her last match, so she's probably injured
I think she reinjured her wrist
CrossCourt~Rally is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Auckland
Posts: 11,428
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Julia Cohen should not receive a MD WC.
Why?

Who else deserves it more than her?

Shes managed to pull her ranking inside the top 200. She will rise to the top 150 by years end.
Mana is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Kevin.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,952
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Jessica Kirkland is finally hitting the ball and will try the tour one last time..she injured her shoulder right after her 50k Boston win in 2007 and didnt return until 2009 at 10k Atlanta where i saw her lose only 2 points in her opening round..
Kevin. is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Amalgamate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,825
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Anyone know?
Granville looked like she ame back form her injury but is missing again.
The great white hope Glatch had a purple patch in May-June last year but then went MIA. injured? given up?

Looks like Harkleroad will continue her tentative return this US summer, Ditty also trying to come back.

WTF is going on with Carly Gullickson.
Like I love her, watching ehr play and seeing her aournd the grounds of events she seems like an absolute sewatheart and hink she has a great game- she obvioulsy needs to get fitter, like Glatch, she had a real purple patch in Apr-June last year and I finally thought she woudl make a breakthrugh- maybe maturing a bit later like some other serve volleyers, she won the US Open mixed (wasa reserve WC for singles too, maybe highlighting some confidence the USTA had in her)but has done nothing great since last June. Anyone know what is happening? after playing crap she has gone MIA as well. Inj? No motivation? No longer playing? Any info woudl be great, I hope she comes back strong this US summer..

In regards to WC's for the US Open.....
I can't see any of these guys getting a WC for the MD.

Maybe for QD? Guess the USTA will wait till a few events occur in the summer (ITF and WTA) before comfirming anything


At this early stage I woudl guess
1. U 18 winner
2. France:
3. Australia:
4. S Stephens (reason: great spring, young)
5. C McHale (reason: seems to be a fav, given her lots of opp's)
6. A Riske (reason: Birmingham)
7. J Hampton (reason: great run on ITF's)
8. Depends on the U18 winner I think. USTA woudl be hanging for maybe S Rogers to win so they can give this one to Coco.
Other contenders may be Harkleroad- but I reckon they may give her a WC into QD.
Maybe Brengle- the old McHale- as in gave her everything.

QD WC's will obvilusy depend on the WC for MD but you'd say contenders woudl be Carly Gullickson (maybe I am hoping!!) Couts, Hsu, Cako, Ahn, Boserup, Muhammed maybe Albanese if she isnt there by herself.
I think the Un 18 finalist is also a sure thing? YEah?

You have to think a 30 year old -more retirements than hot breakkies-milked my famous dad story- 1999 wimby semifinalist- Alexandra Stevenson has done her dash
Again Doubles pair up's for WC's I'd loive to see (again depending on what happens to their rank over summer
1. Gullikson- Harkleroad
2. Rogers-Stephens
3. Couts -Albanese
4. Riske-Hampton
5. Ahn- Muhammed
6. U 18 winners: (if not above)
No mention of Chelsey Gullickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana View Post
I think Julia Cohen deserves a US Open MD WC . She won a round in qualies at the French.

She is ranked in the top 200 and plays a great schedule. She has played over 40 tournaments.

She may not be as 'talented' as the other American juniors
, truth
but you know she will acheive more with her brain.

Not to mention she beat Sloane 3 & 3 just last week.After Sloane had played Wimbledon/Bastad and flew back to NY the next day to play the exhibition where "her legs were like jello"
Quote:
Originally Posted by the jamierbelyea View Post
Chelsey Gullickson will almost surely get a MDWC, and if not 100% sure she will get a QWC. Chelsey won NCAAs this year and Amanda McDowell (2008) is the only American-born winner of NCAAs that hasn't gotten a MDWC into the US Open in the past 10 years or so.

On the same not Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette will likely get MDWC into the doubles event. The last time an American team won NCAAs 2008, Riza Zalameda and Tracy Lin received one.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Julia Cohen should not receive a MD WC.
Amalgamate is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,261
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana View Post
Why?

Who else deserves it more than her?

Shes managed to pull her ranking inside the top 200. She will rise to the top 150 by years end.
Sloane, Jamie, Coco, Christina, Alison all deserve it WAY more than her. All of these players have shown they can handle the big tour. Coco and Jamie winning 50Ks/both being on somewhat of a tear on the ITF circuit at the moment, Sloane being a rising star (will probably get a Doubles MD WC as well), Christina being a rising star, Alison's great run on the grass. All of those players are more worthy than Julia Cohen who has done pretty much nothing outside a 25K Final.


Uranium is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,018
                     
Re: US Update and ?'s.. Granville , Glatch & others...inj retired? What status?

I came across some recent photos of Alexa Glatch doing physical training at Red Rocks in Colorado. Question is: what is she training for? Tennis or something else? She looked great, very strong.
hammerhead is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome