Hey Williams Sister fans..... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 297
                     
Hey Williams Sister fans.....

Don't you love how everytime after someone manages to defeat the Williams Sisters we hear how they are about to dominate the tennis world? How many times have we heard this? No one has been able to consistenly defeat the Williams Sisters for a while now. While all credit should be given to Sharapova, Sprem, and a few others who have notched wins against the Sisters as of late, no one has done it consistently. Seems to me the most worrisome opponent for either sister seems to be injury.
VW#1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,063
                     
Yeah, we're all waiting Raymond to dominate the world.

SanTaureau Fan is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:38 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 151
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
No one has been able to consistenly defeat the Williams Sisters for a while now.
Well no one person is doing it consistently but they are being beaten a lot more consistently by different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
Seems to me the most worrisome opponent for either sister seems to be injury.
I don't think you can claim every loss this year for Venus and Serena is down to injuries. The other players are obviously worrisome because they are getting beaten when they are not injured. Or I am wrong?
Geri is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
volta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 12,969
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck
Yeah, we're all waiting Raymond to dominate the world.


Dominika Cibulkova
volta is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 297
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri
Well no one person is doing it consistently but they are being beaten a lot more consistently by different people.



I don't think you can claim every loss this year for Venus and Serena is down to injuries. The other players are obviously worrisome because they are getting beaten when they are not injured. Or I am wrong?

People seem to forget that even once you become fully healed from an injury, it still takes time to find form, and that is still directly tied to being injured. You don't get back from an injury and then suddenly everything is as it was, it takes time. The game is changing, but injury is by far the biggest reason why Venus and Serena have "struggled" this year. I guess you really have made it when being ranked 7th and 8th for the year is being over.
VW#1 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,741
                     
No, what I love even more is how WS haters want us fans to doubt the sisters and want the sisters to be humbled by their losses. They want to see a defeated attitude, but it's just not going to happen. They want us to be like them and want the sisters to have attitudes like the other girls on tour, but it's not going to happen anytime soon so I suggest the haters don't hold out hope.
Knizzle is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 297
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck
Yeah, we're all waiting Raymond to dominate the world.



you ignoring the entire point of my post and picking one small thing speaks volumes to just how right I am, though I have to admit that was pretty funny
VW#1 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 151
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
People seem to forget that even once you become fully healed from an injury, it still takes time to find form, and that is still directly tied to being injured. You don't get back from an injury and then suddenly everything is as it was, it takes time. The game is changing, but injury is by far the biggest reason why Venus and Serena have "struggled" this year. I guess you really have made it when being ranked 7th and 8th for the year is being over.
I never said they were over. I just said that you can't say only injuries are worrying Venus and Serena when the other players are beating them when they are fit.
Geri is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:47 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,063
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
you ignoring the entire point of my post and picking one small thing speaks volumes to just how right I am, though I have to admit that was pretty funny
Well you said "Don't you love how everytime after someone manages to defeat the Williams Sisters we hear how they are about to dominate the tennis world?"

And I just pointed out that it was a silly comment with my Raymond example.

Besides, no one is consistantly beating the Williams sisters... Simply because no player meets often the Williams sisters, that's all. So your observation is pointless. If they would be healthy and both play a full schedule and meet often the same players, then it would make sense, but it doesn't at the moment.
SanTaureau Fan is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20
                     
I'd say two times in a row is pretty consistant.
justin_w is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 297
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck
Well you said "Don't you love how everytime after someone manages to defeat the Williams Sisters we hear how they are about to dominate the tennis world?"

And I just pointed out that it was a silly comment with my Raymond example.

Besides, no one is consistantly beating the Williams sisters... Simply because no player meets often the Williams sisters, that's all. So your observation is pointless. If they would be healthy and both play a full schedule and meet often the same players, then it would make sense, but it doesn't at the moment.

I said that no one had consistently beaten the sisters for A WHILE now. Meaning longer than just this year. My point is very true, no one over the past few years has been able to do it, and many players have been hyped of about to turn the tide on the Williams Sisters. The Belgians have come the closest, but they have yet to do it. Just this year it's been about injuries, but not as long as we've been hearinggabout all these players who are about to topple the Williams Sisters. And obviously my comment was an exaggeration to make a point, I see it was wasted on you
VW#1 is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 23,704
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
People seem to forget that even once you become fully healed from an injury, it still takes time to find form, and that is still directly tied to being injured. You don't get back from an injury and then suddenly everything is as it was, it takes time. The game is changing, but injury is by far the biggest reason why Venus and Serena have "struggled" this year. I guess you really have made it when being ranked 7th and 8th for the year is being over.
if this is true, then why would you claim that the williams sisters are still dominating the tour. you can't have it both ways.
for some reason we're always looking for someone who is "dominating" and right now, it certainly isn't either williams, and it's not the belgians.

if you know they are not at their best, simply don't pick them to win every match. don't wait until they lose and claim a lack of conditioning after you picked them to hand a "beatdown" to their opponent.

how about these "double standards" for ya.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,063
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
I said that no one had consistently beaten the sisters for A WHILE now. Meaning longer than just this year. My point is very true, no one over the past few years has been able to do it, and many players have been hyped of about to turn the tide on the Williams Sisters. The Belgians have come the closest, but they have yet to do it. Just this year it's been about injuries, but not as long as we've been hearinggabout all these players who are about to topple the Williams Sisters. And obviously my comment was an exaggeration to make a point, I see it was wasted on you
Better to make your points with facts, because exaggerations are synonym of "wrong facts".

No one has consistently beaten the sisters for a while now... Simply because they don't play much, this isn't rocket science.
SanTaureau Fan is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 23,704
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck
Better to make your points with facts, because exaggerations are synonym of "wrong facts".

No one has consistently beaten the sisters for a while now... Simply because they don't play much, this isn't rocket science.
true. they are not being consistently beaten by any one person, they are just ebing consistently beaten...
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 297
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
if this is true, then why would you claim that the williams sisters are still dominating the tour. you can't have it both ways.
for some reason we're always looking for someone who is "dominating" and right now, it certainly isn't either williams, and it's not the belgians.

if you know they are not at their best, simply don't pick them to win every match. don't wait until they lose and claim a lack of conditioning after you picked them to hand a "beatdown" to their opponent.

how about these "double standards" for ya.
Your comments are very true, I know I am guilty of this having picked Venus to win Wimbledon and was sure that if she couldn't then Serena certainly would. I know personally I feel all this talk is premature. What ended the Sisters domination of the game was injury. So I think a lot of Williams fans, rightfully or not, feel robbed because everybody's hyping all these new players as if they are the reason the domination is over. Now by the end of this season if they are still being beaten then saying it's cause they're injured would be ridiculous. But let's all be real if anybody believes that anyone, could beat Serena 6-1, 6-4, without a lot of that being about Serena is crazy. Sharapova might have won anyway, but Serena surely helped her a lot in that match. The Williams Sisters aren't unbeatable I never said they were, but we need to be relaistic about their injuries and exactly why the game has changed, not because of any player, but injury
VW#1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome