TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1910 results
Thread: 1910 results
View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
country flag newmark401

Re: 1910 results

Because of her later success, particularly in the United States, I had always wondered about the early tennis career of Molla Bjurstedt (later Mallory). I had read that she was Norwegian national champion several times, but had never found any related proof, until very recently.

In 1910, she won the singles and, with her sister, the women's doubles, at the Norwegian Outdoor Championships, as I think it was called. (I'm not sure whether it was open to overseas players at that point in time.) By 1910, Molla was already 26, so she had more than likely won this tournament several times already. Funnily enough, I couldn't find any information on a Norwegian covered court tournament from before the war.

I'm not sure who won the Norwegian Outdoor Championships in 1911, but Valborg Bjurstedt dominated it for a few years from 1912, by which time her big sister seems to have stopped playing in it.

Here is what I found for the 1910 tournament, which was probably held circa late June or a little later:

Date? Norwegian Outdoor Championships, Oslo, Norway (Clay?)

FI: Molla Bjurstedt d. [????]
--

DF: Molla Bjurstedt/Valborg Bjurstedt d. [????]
--

XDF: Noble Stibolt/Valborg Bjurstedt d. [????]
-----

Last edited by newmark401; Sep 23rd, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome