Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
 131Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 337 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyHills View Post
I had a quick lurk on the Sloane Stephens forum after her loss to Bertens and found that some of them on there were thinking as if Sloane should want to avoid playing Simona after two losses in finals. I regard such ways of thinking as toxic and would presume they are not tolerated in Stephens' entourage.
If Simona is fit to play her best she should be striving to win as many matches as possible in Rome and get through to confront whatever challenges, e.g. Williams, Bertens, Osaka, Svitolina, await her.
After the initial disappointment of yesterday's match I came to the usual conclusion that losing in the final is a lot better than losing in R1. Simona found some excellent tennis at Madrid and had her first run of five wins in a tournament since Montreal last year.
So she is right in her press conference to take positives from the tournament and also not to be too distraught about losing in a final. If such a loss becomes too hard to take then the easy option is to avoid that possibility by never getting to a final again.
In the video quoted above she spoke about playing the wrong tennis against Bertens, so at least she will be striving to do something different in subsequent matches.
I hope Simona is not thinking about getting to no 1 at the moment. IIRC Osaka has few points to defend before the US Open and should be able to retain no 1 without too much effort, her ranking helping her progress further in tournaments than last year.
Simona should just focus on winning matches and striving to get to as many finals as she can, so that she can eventually win another tournament.
Right now the situation is very much the same as it was in 2017, when she struggled to capture the No.1 ranking. She needed like 4 opportunities, she was three times only 1 match away from it. In the process Muguruza and Ka Pliskova could become No.1 for a short while, before Simona. And when Simona became No.1 near the end of the year (in Beijing) she was only with very small amount of points. In that situations there were two typical misconceptions among the TF GM forumers:
- "3 trying and losing each - she's a loser!" (Instead of understanding that "she's knocking on the door", and it's only a question of time and she'll cross that barrier.)
- When Simona captured the No.1 ranking, they projected that she would lose it early in 2018, and by the Roland Garros would fall out even from the Top 10!

I remember wondering about @gewa76 . He turned away from supporting Simona JUST IN THE PERIOD when she was crossing the No.1 barrier!!! Gewa76 suddenly stopped supporting her in her biggest battles, and just when Simona was getting closer and closer, and not with random luck only, but on the contrary, thanks to her ACTUAL DEVELOPMENT! That's why I noted that her tennis improved between two historical Konta match (Miami 2017, then Fed Cup 2017) and I classified that her knowledge level increased from the v2.7 to the v2.8 (becoming able to play with increased aggression in some critical situations), and after the USO 2017 R128 fiasco against Sharapova she improved again (from v2.8 to v2.9) after understanding that against certain opponents she should start faster and play more tactical matches. In 2018 she COULD NOT BE ABLE to hold the No.1 ranking, without these improvements! So, these were VERY IMPORTANT!

Now we know that by the end of 2018 Simona picked up a potentially very dangerous injury, and she had to adjust her priority order. In 2019 after healing/curing herself, she slowly started to play better again, but for a while without proper coaching. The consequence of this is that for re-capturing the No.1 ranking she must have a fair clay court season. (So far achieved!) This is because on HC the WTA field is extremely balanced, but on clay she's the best.

Coming back to her development:
In Madrid she PROVED that her classic v2.0 skills (aggressive/relentless opponent moving) are still present and she can use it very effectively! She PROVED that her following skills (using top spin balls and on-the-run FH and BH, CC and DTL shots) are still present too, up to v2.7 skill level. She PROVED that her aggression increment, her faster starts, and the more tactical play in general are also present and effectively used: up to v2.9 (look at the bagels that she served out!). On the top of all these, after the Fed Cup 2019 fiasco she understood THE NEXT big thing:
They lost the Fed Cup SF, because they lost the DOUBLES MATCH! And this was the moment when Simona, after years of kidding, FINALLY UNDERSTOOD THE IMPORTANCE OF PLAYING DOUBLES! Earlier even if she played doubles, she didn't know why was she there and what to do! But look at her now! Now she's ready to make volleys and smashes at the net! And this is the key to her v3.0 level tennis!

SUMMARY:
Objectively, her tennis was NEVER BETTER than nowadays! She made a serious mistake in the Madrid final, yes, but this is how we can learn. We can learn from the negative consequences of our mistakes. This is why it is so important to understand what and why happened on the court - at least after the match.
Of course, she's not the only one girl developing. There are quite many girls out there. Maybe Svitolina is on a little vacation, but here is Bencic, Bertens, Osaka, Stephens, Kvitova, Ka Pliskova, and so on. Simona must pay attention to her opponents.
bulljohn likes this.
DcsabaS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Retired Vigilante
 
Rads101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,095
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
This is THE SAME BS that has been repeated thousand times by the trolls in TF GM together with the things "she'll never be a Top 10", and "She'll fall out of Top 10 by the end of the year", "She's not a GS material.", "She'll never be No.1", and so on.

And the OBVIOUS INTENTION is to destroy her fan base (and indirectly her tennis)...
Are you equalizing the haters attacks to @Haleptard 's statement and/or implying that his intention might be to destroy the fan base?

If so, that's the bigger BS in this thread.

No hater can destroy this fanbase if we don't allow them to. As in many life situations, the higher risk is destruction from the inside. Not tolerating divergent opinions among us can be much more destructive for the fanbase than anything that can come from the outside.

/
Rads101 is offline  
post #123 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rads101 View Post
Are you equalizing the haters attacks to @Haleptard 's statement and/or implying that his intention might be to destroy the fan base?

If so, that's the bigger BS in this thread.

No hater can destroy this fanbase if we don't allow them to. As in many life situations, the higher risk is destruction from the inside. Not tolerating divergent opinions among us can be much more destructive for the fanbase than anything that can come from the outside.
I'm really, definitely NOT tolerating certain things.
And do you know what things?
Those, which are toxic, which acting against Simona's development.

There were MANY "so called fans" who were ready to accept the haters' speech just in order to avoid the constant bashing in TF GM! Most of them are gone by now, because even though they accepted the haters speech, they NEVER got any respect in return! (Bravo.)

The problem is not having diverse opinions. Diversity is welcome! But in the name of diversity we cannot tolerate those opinions like "Will you stop it with the UNPREPARED!!! narrative already?", when the ONLY PROBLEM that costed Simona the Madrid final was exactly this!!!

And on the top of this: Have you noticed that I DID NOT COMMENT ANY MADRID MATCH FROM SIMONA IN TF GM?!? CHECK IT!
Haleptard was the one who came here (where he's usually NOT commenting), and forwarded the toxic message that was originally invented by some of the most harmful haters!!!

FORTUNATELY, Simona is much smarter than the kind of "fans" like @Haleptard (who is usually tramping in the same gang as the trolls).
DcsabaS is offline  
 
post #124 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 771
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

I think there's exaggeration on both sides of the argument when it comes to Halep's shortcomings.
Some fans will concentrate too much on her, her psychology and the idea that she might not be as smart (in terms of having a "tennis brain") as we might wish.
Others will tend to focus a bit too much on preparation, tactics, etc, as if there's nothing wrong with her tennis or her attitude apart from the inability - that keeps resurfacing - of being well prepared for specific matches.

The truth, or a more balanced approximation to it, probably lies somewhere in between.
It's obvious she's often unprepared to deal with specific challenges, but it's also true that she falters in finals a lot more often than she used to.
It's obvious she's a fighter, that her tennis is interesting in many respects, but it's also true that she makes really dumb mistakes that don't seem to be a simple matter of making a poor choice at this point, but of a broader mental structure and possibly an inability to play the tennis we all wish she would play.

There needs to be a balance in this kind of analysis.
Walsingham is offline  
post #125 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
jiaozi98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: China
Posts: 257
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

now I put Madrid behind me. Ready for Rome hype. Good luck Simo

我们不一样
jiaozi98 is offline  
post #126 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Retired Vigilante
 
Rads101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,095
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
I'm really, definitely NOT tolerating certain things.
And do you know what things?
Those, which are toxic, which acting against Simona's development.

There were MANY "so called fans" who were ready to accept the haters' speech just in order to avoid the constant bashing in TF GM! Most of them are gone by now, because even though they accepted the haters speech, they NEVER got any respect in return! (Bravo.)

The problem is not having diverse opinions. Diversity is welcome! But in the name of diversity we cannot tolerate those opinions like "Will you stop it with the UNPREPARED!!! narrative already?", when the ONLY PROBLEM that costed Simona the Madrid final was exactly this!!!

And on the top of this: Have you noticed that I DID NOT COMMENT ANY MADRID MATCH FROM SIMONA IN TF GM?!? CHECK IT!
Haleptard was the one who came here (where he's usually NOT commenting), and forwarded the toxic message that was originally invented by some of the most harmful haters!!!

FORTUNATELY, Simona is much smarter than the kind of "fans" like @Haleptard (who is usually tramping in the same gang as the trolls).
You're entitled to your opinion... but the only way you would be always right, is if you held the key to the ultimate truth... some sort of "god".

You're very inflexible about what you accept as divergent opinion or different angle.

Your technical expertise is great, but sometimes lacking the human/psychological/social element. Both in terms of Simo or interaction with users. The thing is, Simona needs often the same things to win matches, and you repeat those endlessly every time... the technical preparation parts. At some level, I think your posts are useful, because if - at any point -someone in Simo's staff would pass by, they will always find an analysis from you that can serve her on the technical side.

But for us, the readers, the repetitiveness and the lack of the mental component sometimes, can get tiring. Haleptard had a bit of an outburst on that, but he's still one of the better fans Simo can have. I even have my disagreements with him, but I still wouldn't trade him for 100 worshiping fans, who only praise her perfection and take a dump on other players, thus giving this fanbase a bad name and triggering weaker personalities to turn into Simo haters, just because of her fans.

Maybe he could have, more politely, ask "could you please stop" instead of "will you stop" if it bothered him, but you also easily replay sometimes with "YOU ARE WRONG" instead of a friendlier "I beg to disagree". That's not very polite either. And you need to see beyond the outbursts of the moment.

Haleptard is right, and you are right: there are two different dimensions. There is the preparation from one match to another, and you're right that that she lacked that (apparently, because you have no clue what her coach exactly tried). But there's the long term mentality issue... If she had a shrink (a good one! - important detail), she would have a different mindset, she would know when and how to prepare better, and she would be all ears in OCC's, because the advise was there, only she wasn't ready to receive and apply it asap.

Also, a top player has to get to a point sooner or later where they can figure things out on the spot if necessary, even if they didn't have a lot of preparation (think of 2 matches a day due to rain delay). She isn't yet there also because of these unresolved mentality issues.

Maybe Haleptard or myself don't phrase this in the most diplomatic words. Maybe a fan can be offended reading it, because they picture Simo reading it and not liking it. But that doesn't mean there isn't truth in it. I'm fine with a fan that disagrees with my language or "negative" angle, especially if it's about phrasing... But not deny that we may have a point, or that it's just haters influencing us. It's a pretty insulting stance... and then you wonder why Haleptard doesn't post here often.

/
Rads101 is offline  
post #127 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Junior Member
 
carmjuan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Medellín
Posts: 43
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
This is THE SAME BS that has been repeated thousand times by the trolls in TF GM together with the things "she'll never be a Top 10", and "She'll fall out of Top 10 by the end of the year", "She's not a GS material.", "She'll never be No.1", and so on.

And the OBVIOUS INTENTION is to destroy her fan base (and indirectly her tennis).

But the truth is this:
ANYBODY can have a clear mind in WHATEVER HARSH SITUATIONS, PROVIDED she/he cleared her mind WELL BEFORE that harsh situation came.
And NOBODY can have a clear mind, if she/he postponed too many important questions to the last moment. That's why the proper preparations are so extremely important, especially when the differences between the competitors are as small as we can see it nowadays! And this is why the matches are really decided in the players' minds!

Now if you check what I wrote about Bertens and the match ON THE PREVIOUS DAY: https://www.tennisforum.com/81410173-post93.html
You can see that Simona was NOT EVEN TRYING TO follow the right strategy, only in the second part of the 2nd set, when it was already too late! It was NOT me underestimating Bertens!
And if you check what Simona said about the match in her presser: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TSkmhxqVxk
you can see that it coincides rather well with what happened. This is a very good sign, because the correct identification of the problems are the keys to the later improvements.

In short: not being able to think in harsh situations is a typical consequence of the missing preparations.

Regarding her coach: I don't know Romanian, therefore I do not have a clue on what her coach told Simona. But let's suppose he told all the right things! The problem is that in these harsh situations even the best tips are practically useless, if they are coming too late! More precisely, MAYBE Simona could have adjusted in time and win the whole match if she got VERY STRICT messages about the problems in the 1st set 2-3!!! (But the right thing is to speak about the needed tactics on the PREVIOUS day. That is the real job of the coach.)

Nobody wants to think that Simona needs a new coach. Daniel is not contributing anything, not calm, no good strategy. He is left without answers to Simona's needs.
carmjuan1 is offline  
post #128 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
I think there's exaggeration on both sides of the argument when it comes to Halep's shortcomings.
Some fans will concentrate too much on her, her psychology and the idea that she might not be as smart (in terms of having a "tennis brain") as we might wish.
Others will tend to focus a bit too much on preparation, tactics, etc, as if there's nothing wrong with her tennis or her attitude apart from the inability - that keeps resurfacing - of being well prepared for specific matches.

The truth, or a more balanced approximation to it, probably lies somewhere in between.
It's obvious she's often unprepared to deal with specific challenges, but it's also true that she falters in finals a lot more often than she used to.
It's obvious she's a fighter, that her tennis is interesting in many respects, but it's also true that she makes really dumb mistakes that don't seem to be a simple matter of making a poor choice at this point, but of a broader mental structure and possibly an inability to play the tennis we all wish she would play.

There needs to be a balance in this kind of analysis.
Please, tell me, is this how a fan (a real fan) thinks about Simona?:
"...because Simo keeps having mental walkabouts this year at the worst of times. But still disappointed. No excuses for folding like a cheap tent again..."

Because if you ask me: NEVER!
And not only because she DID NOT FOLD "LIKE A CHEAP TENT" (in the Madrid final) (maybe you can say it about Bencic), but a fan (as long as she/he is a fan) never gives up the hope for the improvement, and DOES NOT SEARCH FOR EXCUSES TO SAY THAT SHE DOES NOT HAVE EXCUSES (especially when she does have some).

Also: CHECK IT (really, PLEASE) have I blamed Simona because she was so called unprepared in her first 5 Madrid matches? NOOOO!!!! I came with this only related to her tennis shown in the final, but in this respect CHECK ALSO WHAT SIMONA HERSELF SAID ABOUT IT! (Bingo!)

The truth is that @Haleptard was UTTERLY WRONG, and he/she came to here ONLY to spread a toxic narrative. (He/she is not the first person trying to do this.)

Last edited by DcsabaS; May 14th, 2019 at 06:30 AM.
DcsabaS is offline  
post #129 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Haleptard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
Please, tell me, this is how a fan (a real fan) thinks about Simona?:
"...because Simo keeps having mental walkabouts this year at the worst of times. But still disappointed. No excuses for folding like a cheap tent again..."

Because if you ask me: NEVER!
And not only because she DID NOT FOLD "LIKE A CHEAP TENT" (in the Madrid final) (maybe you can say it about Bencic), but a fan (as long as she/he is a fan) never gives up the hope for the improvement, and DOES NOT SEARCH FOR EXCUSES TO SAY THAT SHE DOES NOT HAVE EXCUSES (especially when she does have some).

Also: CHECK IT (really, PLEASE) have I blamed Simona because she was so called unprepared in her first 5 Madrid matches? NOOOO!!!! I came with this only related to her tennis shown in the final, but in this respect CHECK ALSO WHAT SIMONA HERSELF SAID ABOUT IT! (Bingo!)

The truth is that @Haleptard was UTTERLY WRONG, and he/she came to here ONLY to spread a toxic narrative. (He/she is not the first person trying to do this.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
The problem with Haleptard is NOT that he/she was not polite, but he/she RESISTS against the understanding, and prefers to accept and spread the haters'/trolls' narrative instead. The only reason why he/she is a "Halep fan" could be that he/she is also Romanian or something. Bravo. (If Sharapova+Meldonium were Romanian that would be OK for him? Bravo. Simona's tennis and her personality don't count at all? She's only a cheap tent? Multi bravo.)


You and a few other 'fans' like you are the reason why Simona has so many haters on here. It's really hard to tell whether you're just another Simona troll trying to drag the fanbase down, or this unreasonable deluded TWAT that you're trying so hard to portray. Either way, you truly deserved your title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
The problem with Haleptard is NOT that he/she was not polite, but he/she RESISTS against the understanding, and prefers to accept and spread the haters'/trolls' narrative instead.


Last edited by Haleptard; May 13th, 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Haleptard is offline  
post #130 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rads101 View Post
...
Maybe he could have, more politely, ask "could you please stop" instead of "will you stop" if it bothered him, but you also easily replay sometimes with "YOU ARE WRONG" instead of a friendlier "I beg to disagree". That's not very polite either. And you need to see beyond the outbursts of the moment.

Haleptard is right, and you are right: there are two different dimensions.
...
You are also wrong in many respects. First of all, the thing is NOT about "politeness" at all! I'm NOT polite, NOR THE TROLLS, NOR THE HATERS. (I'm polite only with those people who deserve it IN MY OPINION!)
Those people, who cannot understand very simple messages formed politely do NOT deserve politeness (including myself).

The problem with Haleptard is NOT that he/she was not polite, but he/she RESISTS against the understanding, and prefers to accept and spread the haters'/trolls' narrative instead. The only reason why he/she is a "Halep fan" could be that he/she is also Romanian or something. Bravo. (If Sharapova+Meldonium were Romanian that would be OK for him? Bravo. Simona's tennis and her personality don't count at all? She's only a cheap tent? Multi bravo.)
DcsabaS is offline  
post #131 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleptard View Post


You and a few other 'fans' like you are the reason why Simona has so many haters on here. It's really hard to tell whether you're just another Simona troll trying to drag the fanbase down, or this unreasonable deluded TWAT that you're trying so hard to portray. Either way, you truly deserved your title
"You and a few other 'fans' like you are the reason why Simona has so many haters on here."
False! Well before I attended this forum Simona already had her haters. Actually, she had haters SOONER than devoted fans! And do you know why? Because mostly the haters were blinded fans of other players, who were angry that this "lucky nobody" (Halep) defeated their favorite. It took roughly half a year for the fans to appear on the scene.

Also, the atmosphere of the forum, especially in TF GM became toxic long ago, and NOT because of Simona, not because of her devoted fans, and not even because of her haters or trolls, but because of the earlier neverending personal fights already present between the so called Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka, Wozniacki, etc. fans.
Or in other words, the atmosphere was bad, because the moderators were NOT immediate and strict enough to block the bad people. (This is my opinion.) Of course, if you like the 1-liner empty bashing comments, that's another question.

Also (listen very carefully!):
I opened this thread to give a place for meaningful discussions on Simona's tennis. NOBODY is forced to read it. And if you would prefer another type of thread about Simona's clay season, just go with it! It depends only on you! It was NOT ME entering your thread or even the TF GM to write long essays for those who are not interested. YOU CAME HERE for some mysterious reasons.
DcsabaS is offline  
post #132 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmjuan1 View Post
Nobody wants to think that Simona needs a new coach. Daniel is not contributing anything, not calm, no good strategy. He is left without answers to Simona's needs.
I cannot judge this. I don't speak Romanian, so I do not have a clue if he gave relevant suggestions during the coaching sessions.
BUT:
In my opinion the more important part of the coach's job comes BEFORE the match, and whenever is possible, on the PREVIOUS DAY. That is the best time for tactical/technical preparations. This is normally happening behind, not in front of our eyes! So, unsurprisingly, directly I do not know about it.
NEVERTHELESS:
I do know indirectly, that in her first 5 matches Simona's tennis was tactically RIGHT. This used to be rather untypical to her.
And she played tactically wrong only in the final, but this is getting typical to her.

So, are you sure that Daniel was not contributing anything?!? Then how it happened that Simona played with the right tactics for her first 5 matches? Who was helping her? Or she was personally looking after her opponents?
DcsabaS is offline  
post #133 of 337 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 10:22 PM
Retired Vigilante
 
Rads101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,095
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcsabaS View Post
"You and a few other 'fans' like you are the reason why Simona has so many haters on here."
False! Well before I attended this forum Simona already had her haters. Actually, she had haters SOONER than devoted fans! And do you know why? Because mostly the haters were blinded fans of other players, who were angry that this "lucky nobody" (Halep) defeated their favorite. It took roughly half a year for the fans to appear on the scene.
Yes. But it's actually a LOT more organic than that.

I can tell the evolution of the general opinion of other fans towards this fanbase with almost each and every one of our posts. And I can tell apart trolls, haters and neutrals (most of the time, there are some hybrids and grey areas).

It's not like we deal with the same haters as 5 years ago, with us playing no role in how they evolved. Each post we make on GM has an impact, depending on how open or one-sided we are, how courteous or rude we are towards Simo's opponent (or other users), how friendly or arrogant we are, how willing we are to compromise and see reason... including in posts where maybe one item is wrong, but 2 others are right. If we obsessively attack that one inaccuracy and don't let it slide or also acknowledge the valid points, we do come across as asocial people.

I know when I've been the cause of such reactions and opinions about our fanbase... and I like to think of myself as more willing to compromise. So if someone says that about you or anyone here, you can't jump with the "False" denial, because you may have missed open or private discussions about posts you or other members here have made. It's a living process, and every piece of interaction you have outside, continues to play a role. You can't just dump it in the past to exempt yourself (or any newer fans, myself included) of having played a role in these negative attitudes some have about Simona.

Don't get me wrong... attacking Simo because you can't stand some of her fans, is a major sign of weakness of character. But it's an utopian dream hoping to educate each and everyone out of that. The reason Trump or Viktor Orban won; the reason Brexit won the vote; the reason a lot of populist politicians win around the world, is because of this false assumption of reliable evolution in humans. No, a large segment of any society (or internet group) remains weak or of low values, and you have to manage them as such. You can't deny their existence or fight them "under your terms", using your technical/academic language. You won't get to them. You can say "I don't care", but then they win... same as Brexit won; same as Trump won; same as Orban won... so you can't say they aren't winning. In your head, maybe you feel you won the argument... but if you lack the social perception, you may not realize when they won: you think you educated some GM users (maybe you got 1-2 to agree, yes)... but you may not realize when that exchange has cemented in the mind of 5-10 others the impression of how short-sighted some Halep fans are. Not necessarily because you are like that. But you did allow yourself to come across like that, because you didn't know your public enough.
seychelles and bulljohn like this.

/

Last edited by Rads101; May 14th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Rads101 is offline  
post #134 of 337 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

^ Certain haters are mostly gone, for instance the vast majority of those who were blinded fans of JJ, and thought that Simona did NOT deserve her victories over her. Their balance is 7:1 in favor of Simona, and JJ's ONLY victory came in 2010, when Simona was only 19, well before her transformation.

Then there were Sharapova's blinded fans, accepting whatever immoral things she's done, and instead, always trying to put shades on the other girls.

Before 2014 many Serena fans did the same. This changed only AFTER the YEC 2014, when Serena herself showed respect to Simona, and her fans finally realized that Simona also respects Serena (and Venus), so there is no need for any personal fight.

There are many other examples. The most interesting effect is this: WHENEVER another successful player appears on the scene, some of the frustrated Halep haters (who are still present in the forum) jump on the supporting wagon of the new girl, and start to bash Simona in 24/7 manner. This effect was repeated with Kerber (in 2015), with Svitolina, with Stephens, with Osaka, and now it seems with Barty and Bertens. (Do you remember the time when Simona didn't have a dressing sponsor, and after Stephens had won the USO 2017, some of the most aggressive posters questioned if Simona deserves the No.1 bonus, suggesting that 1 GS title and the related marketing value is much-much higher than Simona's any past and future achievements? And of course WE were the so called "delusional", because of believing in Simona...)

If you ask me, the forum owners made (and still making) a serious mistake: they let the remained aggressive trolls (do you need a list?!?) trolling and bashing around, and via this INFECTING the atmosphere of the forum, and SPREADING HARMFUL MISCONCEPTIONS about the players, about their coaches, about other fan bases - actually about anybody who can be attacked. They behave like Sharks! I can clearly see how effectively they are DESTROYING even the remote possibility of normal discussions. And when they don't have enough targets in TF GM, they are coming to here?!? (Do you need another list?!?)

About the one-sided posts:
You certainly know that I usually have 2 or 3 times more praising of Simona's opponents, and I can be criticized only because I'm too harsh on Simona. This is true, I admit it. Then how would it be possible that I'm a blinded Simona fan?!? Isn't this only the usual idiotic narrative?!? CHECK my per-final and post-final messages again, testing this claim:
Pre-match: https://www.tennisforum.com/81410173-post89.html
Post-match: https://www.tennisforum.com/81411793-post93.html

There were times when I posted in parallel as Simona match was going on in order to PROVE that sometimes the loss can be predicted already after the first couple of games, because it was clearly seen that Simona was not properly prepared for the match. But I gave it up, because I couldn't reach the expected eye-opening effect.

Then there was a time when I tried to explain how the Aggressive Margin is a MUCH BETTER descriptor of the playing quality than any other simple statistics that are always used by the TF GM community. Result? Well, there were maybe 10 people who understood it, but the rest didn't, because some of the most aggressive trolls made constant personal attacks on me, dragging away the attention from the important things. The "TWAT" thing mentioned by @Haleptard (surprise-surprise) was part of that story! And they are the "good people"?!? No. That is the road to Hell.

My suggestion was this (having started already before Simona's clay season): I'm not commenting in TF GM (or only in minimal number), and I send my detailed messages to here. NOBODY, not even the Simona fans are forced to read them. Very easy to avoid. But I would like to ask something in return: when I'm ATTACKED in TF GM under different CODED NAMES, would you BAN those trolls immediately? (Just for a couple of days.) Because until you don't do it, the situation cannot normalize. (Also, I DON'T WANT TO SEE HERE TROLLING any of those harmful persons.)

Side note:
Of course, they are still coming here to read my posts, in order to sophisticate some of their parts, and spread that BS in TF GM. One of the most harmful trolls did this for longer than a year and the moderators did nothing! Bravo. (Later he/she was possibly banned because of other reasons, I suppose.)

Test: is she only nice old lady, or...
 

Last edited by DcsabaS; May 14th, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
DcsabaS is offline  
post #135 of 337 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DcsabaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,210
                     
Re: Clay Court season 2019: Madrid, Rome, Paris

Marketa Vondrousova: Rome R32

You may claim that we are still not there, because "there will be an R64 match between Strycova (33) and Vondrousova (19)", but I'm afraid that it is going to be rather easy for Vondrousova. Their balance is:
Marketa Vondrousova - Barbora Strycova: 3:0 (since 2017, always 2-setters), on HC and Clay
----
I was mistaken on this. Vondrousova looked very rusty in the 1st set, and even in the 3rd seemed ill or something. She was too passive, playing too much behind, didn't use her power, and showed not too much interest in winning the match. (Still she won it, somehow.)
----------------

So, what about Marketa Vondrousova? (You see, right now there is some time for the proper preparation!)
- 19 years old ==> she's full of puberty hormones, she's strong, quick, and dynamic for free!
- 172 cm / 65 kg ==> she's stronger than Simona, but not that much. Simona can be competitive in the physical department, if she plays with the right strategy.
- she's a LEFTY! (Simona missed to discover this in time in their first match in IW 2019, what Simona lost to 26 63 26
- she's a TALENTED girl (not to be underestimated). She was Junior World No.1, she's a 2-times DOUBLES Junior GS champion (AOpen and RG), and played final one more time. ==> She moves well on clay, and she's very good at the net.
- Her ranking is not stratospheric (No.42), but she's rising very well, and look at her scalps only from this year:
Begu, Siegemund, Kasatkina, Ostapenko 2x, Halep, Strycova 3x, Mertens, Tomljanovic, Kuznetsova

As you can see, she's good enough already to beat quality players.
Simona cannot expect an easy victory over her, NOT EVEN ON CLAY (and especially because Simona is a notorious slow-starter).
Regarding the right strategy, there are certain things that must be built deep into Simona's mind:

- It would be a SUICIDE to feed her with "safe balls" placed to the middle region of the court, because Vondrousova is an excellent doubles player, she would kill them immediately. Simona MUST GO FOR THE CORNERS AND THE SIDELINES. ALWAYS. RELENTLESSLY.
- Vondrousova is a LEFTY, therefore it is MEANINGLESS to attack her with continuous BH CC shots. Simona should start and finish her attacks on Vondrousova's lefty BH, that is with FH CC and BH DTL shots. The FH DTL and BH CC shots are needed only for the effective opponent moving (targeting the lines with a little larger margin.)
- Vondrousova is a youngster: this means that she can become confused for a while if her tennis doesn't work.
- Also, although she's experienced against the relatively weaker opponents, and she's hardly experienced enough to know what to do against the on-the-run winners, made from defending positions.
- Simona must control the rallies. She can do it, because she has the better hitting accuracy, especially when both girls have to run.
Mikaa likes this.

Last edited by DcsabaS; May 16th, 2019 at 04:14 AM.
DcsabaS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome