Schedule - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Babolatpro880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 8,732
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
Latest update:

Israel's $125K tournament definitely cancelled

Carlsbad has chosen no to hold a doubles tournament (singles only)
I'm guessing that Limoges will still move to 11/14 if France makes the Fed Cup final?
Babolatpro880 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 53,109
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babolatpro880 View Post
I'm guessing that Limoges will still move to 11/14 if France makes the Fed Cup final?
Yes

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 570
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

the entry list for Bol?

SORANA CIRSTEA

Aga - Kerber - Ivanovic - Wozniacki
Vika - Petkovic - Begu - Lisicki
Niculescu - Cornet - Pironkova - Dulgheru
Hantuchova - Olaru - Duque - Puig
Ula - Mitu - Tig - Riske - Hlavackova
Minella - Paszek - Melichar
Sorana is offline  
 
post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
ajmo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,016
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorana View Post
the entry list for Bol?
Should be out next week.
So far Croats confirmed: Konjuh, Vekic, Martic, Fett.
ajmo! is offline  
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2016, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,385
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
Should be out next week.
So far Croats confirmed: Konjuh, Vekic, Martic, Fett.
Any Turkish player ?
Tenisci is offline  
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
gamesetmatchrafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,629
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorana View Post
the entry list for Bol?
Should be out tmrw/today if i am right...can not wait hopefully it will be decent
gamesetmatchrafa is offline  
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Mr.Sparkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11,217
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Why are half the 125k events in November? That's just going to turn them into vulture events rather than events for up and comers and those trying to break into the top 100...
Mr.Sparkle is offline  
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7,341
 
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle View Post
Why are half the 125k events in November? That's just going to turn them into vulture events rather than events for up and comers and those trying to break into the top 100...
When should those tournaments should be held then?

In regular weeks there are usually 2 tournaments, and adding a 125K to those weeks will just affect the field of all 3 tournaments. WTA won't do that Especially sometimes you already get BYES in some International Q draws because the competition from ITFs etc. Also you have to consider the venue... or else we'll have those threads complaining about those ridiculously weak Chinese tournaments again The most feasible place in the calendar would be the second week of IW/Miami/GS, and there are 3 this year... and San Antonio is actually pretty strong in fact.

Indeed, putting it in Nov will also allow some players to vulture but if you look back and see the field in 14/15 125Ks, it's pretty much fine. It is supposed to be a bit stronger than ITF 100Ks. They also restrict the # of Top 50 players to compete so it could prevent some of the higher ranked to vulture.
happydayhk is offline  
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Mr.Sparkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11,217
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydayhk View Post
When should those tournaments should be held then?

In regular weeks there are usually 2 tournaments, and adding a 125K to those weeks will just affect the field of all 3 tournaments. WTA won't do that Especially sometimes you already get BYES in some International Q draws because the competition from ITFs etc. Also you have to consider the venue... or else we'll have those threads complaining about those ridiculously weak Chinese tournaments again The most feasible place in the calendar would be the second week of IW/Miami/GS, and there are 3 this year... and San Antonio is actually pretty strong in fact.

Indeed, putting it in Nov will also allow some players to vulture but if you look back and see the field in 14/15 125Ks, it's pretty much fine. It is supposed to be a bit stronger than ITF 100Ks. They also restrict the # of Top 50 players to compete so it could prevent some of the higher ranked to vulture.
Hmmm, good points. They just don't seem very spaced out to me. There's one in March, two in May and the rest in November. I would think to maybe put one in July after Wimbledon and one in September after the US Open.

That way they can help people to build up their ranking during the year, but at the moment with them being in November, it might lead to some players cutting down on their end of year break to try and grab more ranking points.
Mr.Sparkle is offline  
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Babolatpro880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 8,732
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle View Post
Hmmm, good points. They just don't seem very spaced out to me. There's one in March, two in May and the rest in November. I would think to maybe put one in July after Wimbledon and one in September after the US Open.

That way they can help people to build up their ranking during the year, but at the moment with them being in November, it might lead to some players cutting down on their end of year break to try and grab more ranking points.
I really think anyone playing a WTA challenger in November would be perfectly fine playing a high-level ITF challenger in November, so it doesn't have as much to do with that, rather more that they are mostly scheduled so as to not compete with WTA events. Even Bol, since it was played the second week of the French. That's double-edged to me: WTA tournaments don't lose out on potential entrants, depth, and revenue, while the WTA challengers, still growing in number, have less competition for the same.
Babolatpro880 is offline  
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Babolatpro880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 8,732
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydayhk View Post
When should those tournaments should be held then?

In regular weeks there are usually 2 tournaments, and adding a 125K to those weeks will just affect the field of all 3 tournaments. WTA won't do that Especially sometimes you already get BYES in some International Q draws because the competition from ITFs etc. Also you have to consider the venue... or else we'll have those threads complaining about those ridiculously weak Chinese tournaments again The most feasible place in the calendar would be the second week of IW/Miami/GS, and there are 3 this year... and San Antonio is actually pretty strong in fact.

Indeed, putting it in Nov will also allow some players to vulture but if you look back and see the field in 14/15 125Ks, it's pretty much fine. It is supposed to be a bit stronger than ITF 100Ks. They also restrict the # of Top 50 players to compete so it could prevent some of the higher ranked to vulture.
Not to mention that also having more than one WTA challenger in the same week will weaken the fields of both anyway. Plus, as you said, they restrict the top 50, and a tournament with a 125K total purse (with less doubles teams) should be stronger than one with a full doubles field and only a total purse of 100k, no?
Babolatpro880 is offline  
post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Babolatpro880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 8,732
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Carlsbad is no longer listed on the schedule, but it appears to have been replaced by an event in Honolulu.
*Jool* likes this.
Babolatpro880 is offline  
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
GBTG_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Paisley
Posts: 10,689
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but Dalian is going ahead right? Just cos it's not been mentioned here but is listed on WTA site. Presumably entry list must be out?

#teamGB
GBTG_Fan is offline  
post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2016, 05:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 11,900
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBTG_Fan View Post
Sorry if I'm being stupid, but Dalian is going ahead right? Just cos it's not been mentioned here but is listed on WTA site. Presumably entry list must be out?
Someone posted the entry list on a new thread a few days ago, but it mysteriously disappeared...
Rising Sun is online now  
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2016, 05:56 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Meelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 78,150
                     
Re: 2016 Schedule

Meelis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome