Fort Worth police officer fatally shoots woman in her own home - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
 63Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 38,748
                     
Re: Fort Worth police officer fatally shoots woman in her own home

Family of Woman Shot, Killed Inside Home by FW Police Retains Attorney

By Lili Zheng

Published Oct 12, 2019 at 9:35 PM | Updated at 12:30 AM CDT on Oct 13, 2019



The family of a woman shot and killed by a Fort Worth police officer in her own home have retained an attorney.

The shooting happened just before 2:30 a.m. Saturday on the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue. Inside the home, the family of 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson said she was watching her 8-year-old nephew.

"She didn't do anything wrong, but she's inside of her home, trying to protect her home and my son that's inside. She's not a threat. She's a college graduate," Jefferson's older sister Amber Carr said. "You want to see justice, but justice don't bring my sister back."

Police responded to the home after a call from a neighbor indicating a front door was open. The neighbor, James Smith, said he noticed all of the lights were on. There was no movement in the house, so he called the non-emergency line asking for a welfare check.



"There was no reason for her to be dead, because there was nothing violent going on, there was no distress at this particular property. They had no reason to come here with guns drawn," Smith said. "I'm shaken, I'm mad and I'm upset, and I feel like it's probably my fault because if I had never called the police department, she'd still be alive."

Body camera video released by the Fort Worth Police Department shows the officer walking around outside the house with a flashlight. He then stops, points his flashlight at a window and then draws his gun after seeing a person watching himself from inside the house.

The officer is heard commanding, "Put your hands up, show me your hands" before firing his weapon once.

In a press release, police said the shot was fired after "perceiving a threat" but did not specify what the threat was. Once officers entered the home, they located Jefferson and a firearm and began providing emergency medical care.

The family's attorney, Lee Merritt, said it was "reckless and irresponsible" to release a picture of the firearm found without context of how it was used – if, at all.

"It's something the community has seen over and over again where the character of the victim gets called into question," Merritt told reporters. "There was nothing nefarious or illegal about owning a firearm and they presented in nowhere that firearm was contributory towards the use of deadly force here."

Continued @ https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fa...562950481.html
harloo likes this.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (23) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 3,828
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Reported. Mods @pancake @Leif why is a small but vocal group of posters allowed to keep breaking the rules. There is a thread for these type of posts: https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-t...ns-issues.html



They know about, they post in it and yet they keep creating threads, creating more work for you guys. Will there be consequences for this type of behaviour?
No, JN has been doing this for years, trolling the forum with vitriol, spewing hate speech in gun control threads etc. Mods never did anything, still don't.

Anyway, regarding this case, they have released the bodycam footage. The cop shouts "show me your hands!" and shoots immediately, without giving any kind of response chance. Also he doesn't identify himself at any point. It's a colossal fuckup by a nervous, unprofessional cop.
Race is unlikely to have played any kind of role here as the police cannot have seen skin colour in that lighting.
Sam L and De Lay like this.

Dust, on a mirror turned black,
the refection is flawed, all the mirrors are cracked,
strange how the glass seems to sing.
But the words are like death, they could be anything.
Here we are, win or draw, badly used, badly scored.
Here we are, gone before, in another time.


-I.F.Kilmister
Timariot is offline  
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 38,748
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
No, JN has been doing this for years, trolling the forum with vitriol, spewing hate speech in gun control threads etc. Mods never did anything, still don't.

Anyway, regarding this case, they have released the bodycam footage. The cop shouts "show me your hands!" and shoots immediately, without giving any kind of response chance. Also he doesn't identify himself at any point. It's a colossal fuckup by a nervous, unprofessional cop.
Race is unlikely to have played any kind of role here as the police cannot have seen skin colour in that lighting.
vit·ri·ol

/ˈvitrēəl,ˈvitrēˌôl/

noun: vitriol

1. cruel and bitter criticism.

Racists and racism require that they not be handled with kid gloves.

And I challenge you to provide a single example of "hate speech" on my part.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (23) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 3,828
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
vit·ri·ol

/ˈvitrēəl,ˈvitrēˌôl/

noun: vitriol

1. cruel and bitter criticism.

Racists and racism require that they not be handled with kid gloves.

And I challenge you to provide a single example of "hate speech" on my part.
You're welcome, this thread has many examples of your hate speech towards gun owners.

Dust, on a mirror turned black,
the refection is flawed, all the mirrors are cracked,
strange how the glass seems to sing.
But the words are like death, they could be anything.
Here we are, win or draw, badly used, badly scored.
Here we are, gone before, in another time.


-I.F.Kilmister
Timariot is offline  
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 38,748
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
You're welcome, this thread has many examples of your hate speech towards gun owners.
I asked you to point out one example of my using "hate speech"; either do so or stop lying. You obviously know how to quote a comment.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (23) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 3,828
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
I asked you to point out one example of my using "hate speech"; either do so or stop lying. You obviously know how to quote a comment.
As I said, it has many examples. For example, each and every of your 'Responsible gun owner of the day' troll post.
Sam L likes this.

Dust, on a mirror turned black,
the refection is flawed, all the mirrors are cracked,
strange how the glass seems to sing.
But the words are like death, they could be anything.
Here we are, win or draw, badly used, badly scored.
Here we are, gone before, in another time.


-I.F.Kilmister
Timariot is offline  
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 38,748
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
As I said, it has many examples. For example, each and every of your 'Responsible gun owner of the day' troll post.
And as I said, quote an example of me using "hate speech."

I love how you people make claims you can't back up when you get called out on them. Go have a seat with your equally truth-challenged buddies.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (23) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Chionophile
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cryosphere
Posts: 40,042
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
As I said, it has many examples. For example, each and every of your 'Responsible gun owner of the day' troll post.
Many people find the same with him. That’s why he’s TWAT king.
De Lay likes this.

Dancing and Skating through Life


Sam L is offline  
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 38,748
                     
Re: Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Many people find the same with him. That’s why he’s TWAT king.
When all is lost...

https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-t...l#post81324777

mykarma likes this.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (23) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 32,670
                     
Re: Fort Worth police officer fatally shoots woman in her own home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Family of Woman Shot, Killed Inside Home by FW Police Retains Attorney

By Lili Zheng

Published Oct 12, 2019 at 9:35 PM | Updated at 12:30 AM CDT on Oct 13, 2019



The family of a woman shot and killed by a Fort Worth police officer in her own home have retained an attorney.

The shooting happened just before 2:30 a.m. Saturday on the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue. Inside the home, the family of 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson said she was watching her 8-year-old nephew.

"She didn't do anything wrong, but she's inside of her home, trying to protect her home and my son that's inside. She's not a threat. She's a college graduate," Jefferson's older sister Amber Carr said. "You want to see justice, but justice don't bring my sister back."

Police responded to the home after a call from a neighbor indicating a front door was open. The neighbor, James Smith, said he noticed all of the lights were on. There was no movement in the house, so he called the non-emergency line asking for a welfare check.



"There was no reason for her to be dead, because there was nothing violent going on, there was no distress at this particular property. They had no reason to come here with guns drawn," Smith said. "I'm shaken, I'm mad and I'm upset, and I feel like it's probably my fault because if I had never called the police department, she'd still be alive."

Body camera video released by the Fort Worth Police Department shows the officer walking around outside the house with a flashlight. He then stops, points his flashlight at a window and then draws his gun after seeing a person watching himself from inside the house.

The officer is heard commanding, "Put your hands up, show me your hands" before firing his weapon once.

In a press release, police said the shot was fired after "perceiving a threat" but did not specify what the threat was. Once officers entered the home, they located Jefferson and a firearm and began providing emergency medical care.

The family's attorney, Lee Merritt, said it was "reckless and irresponsible" to release a picture of the firearm found without context of how it was used – if, at all.

"It's something the community has seen over and over again where the character of the victim gets called into question," Merritt told reporters. "There was nothing nefarious or illegal about owning a firearm and they presented in nowhere that firearm was contributory towards the use of deadly force here."

Continued @ https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fa...562950481.html
Until these cops are held responsible for murdering innocent people it'll never stop.
harloo and hablo like this.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is online now  
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 38,748
                     
Re: Fort Worth police officer fatally shoots woman in her own home

Fort Worth Woman Was Playing Video Game With Her Nephew When Shot by Police

A police officer fired the shot that killed Atatiana Jefferson from outside her bedroom window. A neighbor had reported two doors ajar.



Flowers and a stuffed animal lying on the ground outside of the home where Atatiana Jefferson was killed by a police officer in Fort Worth.CreditCreditLaura Buckman for The New York Times

By Marina Trahan Martinez, Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs and Dave Montgomery

Oct. 13, 2019

FORT WORTH — Minutes before she was shot and killed by a Fort Worth police officer, Atatiana K. Jefferson was playing video games in her bedroom with her 8-year-old nephew, a lawyer for her family said Sunday.

Ms. Jefferson, 28, was proud of being the “cool auntie” to her siblings’ children, and had stayed up into the wee hours of Saturday morning with her nephew, Xbox controllers in their hands, according to S. Lee Merritt, the family’s lawyer. But the pair grew concerned around 2:30 a.m., he said, when they heard rustling outside the house and saw flashlights.


Atatiana K. Jefferson

A neighbor had called the police after seeing Ms. Jefferson’s front and side doors ajar, a call he later said he regretted making. The two responding officers quietly crept around outside the dark house, where Ms. Jefferson lived with her mother.

After unlatching a fence door and walking into the back yard, a white male officer saw Ms. Jefferson, who is black, through her bedroom window. He shouted for her to put her hands up and immediately fired a single shot through the glass, according to body camera footage released by the department. The officers do not identify themselves as police in the video.

Ms. Jefferson’s nephew was still in the bedroom when she was killed, the police said.

The killing of a young woman in her own home devastated Fort Worth leaders and residents, who on Sunday said they were still struggling to make sense of the chain of events. About 500 people gathered peacefully in front of Ms. Jefferson’s home on Sunday evening, chanting, holding signs and registering people to vote. Many called for the officer to be fired and prosecuted.

Several attendees openly carried weapons, including one man with a rifle who was calmly directing traffic. No uniformed police were at the gathering.


A vigil for Ms. Jefferson was held in Fort Worth on Sunday.CreditLaura Buckman for The New York Times

Continued @ https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/u...jefferson.html

chanda · venus (7) · serena (23) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 02:20 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 19,584
                     
Re: TMZ: Venus Williams Blamed In Fatal Car Crash

So now the board's resident crooked cop defender's are mad about a thread title while pretending as if they're so concerned about the plight of the moderation team? What a joke. I really underestimated the lengths some people would go to deflect on this board but this is ridiculous. If the title of a thread bothers you so much, here's a tip: Stay out of it crying.
hablo and mykarma like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 02:27 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 19,584
                     
Re: TMZ: Venus Williams Blamed In Fatal Car Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Fort Worth Woman Was Playing Video Game With Her Nephew When Shot by Police

A police officer fired the shot that killed Atatiana Jefferson from outside her bedroom window. A neighbor had reported two doors ajar.



Flowers and a stuffed animal lying on the ground outside of the home where Atatiana Jefferson was killed by a police officer in Fort Worth.CreditCreditLaura Buckman for The New York Times

By Marina Trahan Martinez, Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs and Dave Montgomery

Oct. 13, 2019

FORT WORTH — Minutes before she was shot and killed by a Fort Worth police officer, Atatiana K. Jefferson was playing video games in her bedroom with her 8-year-old nephew, a lawyer for her family said Sunday.

Ms. Jefferson, 28, was proud of being the “cool auntie” to her siblings’ children, and had stayed up into the wee hours of Saturday morning with her nephew, Xbox controllers in their hands, according to S. Lee Merritt, the family’s lawyer. But the pair grew concerned around 2:30 a.m., he said, when they heard rustling outside the house and saw flashlights.


Atatiana K. Jefferson

A neighbor had called the police after seeing Ms. Jefferson’s front and side doors ajar, a call he later said he regretted making. The two responding officers quietly crept around outside the dark house, where Ms. Jefferson lived with her mother.

After unlatching a fence door and walking into the back yard, a white male officer saw Ms. Jefferson, who is black, through her bedroom window. He shouted for her to put her hands up and immediately fired a single shot through the glass, according to body camera footage released by the department. The officers do not identify themselves as police in the video.

Ms. Jefferson’s nephew was still in the bedroom when she was killed, the police said.

The killing of a young woman in her own home devastated Fort Worth leaders and residents, who on Sunday said they were still struggling to make sense of the chain of events. About 500 people gathered peacefully in front of Ms. Jefferson’s home on Sunday evening, chanting, holding signs and registering people to vote. Many called for the officer to be fired and prosecuted.

Several attendees openly carried weapons, including one man with a rifle who was calmly directing traffic. No uniformed police were at the gathering.


A vigil for Ms. Jefferson was held in Fort Worth on Sunday.CreditLaura Buckman for The New York Times

Continued @ https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/u...jefferson.html
This is heartbreaking on so many levels. I can only imagine the devastation of her nephew watching her murdered in cold blood while they were enjoying a video game. Black people aren't even safe in their own damn homes anymore. After the Botham case I've completely lost faith in law enforcement. I was firmly against having a gun in my home but I'm thinking about getting a license to carry. With the way things are going black people will have to take justice in their own hands.
hablo and JN like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 02:34 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 19,584
                     
Re: TMZ: Venus Williams Blamed In Fatal Car Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Until these cops are held responsible for murdering innocent people it'll never stop.
They've already put the murderer on "administrative leave" which technically means he'll lay low until the heat dies down and they'll shuffle him somewhere else to terrorize others. Anybody defending untrained scum who would shoot an innocent woman for no damn reason is bottom of the barrel but they'll be apologists out there claiming these cops were just "doing their jobs". smdh
hablo and mykarma like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Silent Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Russian Sex Toy
Posts: 28,624
                     
Re: TMZ: Venus Williams Blamed In Fatal Car Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
So now the board's resident crooked cop defender's are mad about a thread title while pretending as if they're so concerned about the plight of the moderation team? What a joke. I really underestimated the lengths some people would go to deflect on this board but this is ridiculous. If the title of a thread bothers you so much, here's a tip: Stay out of it crying.
I haven't seen a single post defending cops in this thread.

How do u say De Groovy?
How do u say De Gorgeous?
How do u say, DE LAY DE LAY DE LAY De Lay..

Diiig!
Silent Bird is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome