Re: Oscars 2020
I found Jojo Rabbit incredibly not funny. The whole movie just didn't work for me, despite its technical merit and great acting overall. And I think it's going to be divisive the whole season and won't come near the win.
Also saw Ford v. Ferrari this week, which is the typical 90s white straight men movie. The race scenes are great but the movie has no substance. I also thought Damon and especially McConaughey are actively bad.
Judy is good enough to get Renee a win. When she sings the movie comes to life.
I would love to see some love for the new Malick, A Hidden Life cause it is absolutely gorgeous. A cinematography nom would be well deserved.
And as usual, I'm most excited for the International Feature Oscar. Parasite and Dolor y Gloria are locks I guess but behind that are a bunch of very strong movies that I have all loved:
- Monos from Colombia is thrilling and has had buzz since Sundance and Berlin.
- Atlantique from Senegal is a pretty interesting ghost story intertwined with the migrant crisis, and it would be cool to see an African nom again.
- Les Miserables from France is just really powerful
- Brazil's entry The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao is my favourite movie of the year so far and deserves it so much
- Honeyland from North Macedonia is a really interesting doc about the last european female beekeeper
- Russia has a strong WWII drama with two amazing leads in Beanpole
I also loved Algeria's Papicha, Sweden's And The We Danced (the director is adorable) and Germany's System Crasher but I don't think they have a big shot.
Broadcast the boom boom boom boom
And make 'em all dance to it