Women's World Cup... - TennisForum.com
 57Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ban Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pandora's Box
Posts: 16,990
                     
Women's World Cup...

No one watching this?

France easily ousted Korea in the opener and Germany barely made it past China just now.

I will of course be pulling for our Canadian beavers... and the representatives of the Deutscher Fußball-Bund.



Who will you be stanning for?
eldanielfire likes this.

Françoise Abanda, Félix Auger-Aliassiame, Fedex, The Stanimal, Naomi Osaka, The Dog Dolgopolov, Petr Korda, The Borg, Ana Ivanovic

and, of course, her majesty, la reine
STEFFI GRAF
Ban Boy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 03:15 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
eldanielfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,584
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

I'll be stanning for England. Though with so many current and ex-Arsenal players The Netherlands will deffo be my 2nd favourite and I genuinely think if they keep their energy up they can beat anybody.

Be good if FIFA can meet the aspiration of a billion viewers over the tournament. It being based in Europe should help and they had 750 viewers last time round. Women's football has become by far the biggest female sport in the world now. I don't think anything comes close.
eldanielfire is offline  
post #3 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingdom of Fev
Posts: 122
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldanielfire View Post
I'll be stanning for England. Though with so many current and ex-Arsenal players The Netherlands will deffo be my 2nd favourite and I genuinely think if they keep their energy up they can beat anybody.

Be good if FIFA can meet the aspiration of a billion viewers over the tournament. It being based in Europe should help and they had 750 viewers last time round. Women's football has become by far the biggest female sport in the world now. I don't think anything comes close.
I read some reports that there were over 9 million viewers in France , for the France - South Korea game , also 3 million in Germany for the same game .
eldanielfire likes this.
Sidi Fidi is offline  
post #4 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:20 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
eldanielfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,584
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidi Fidi View Post
I read some reports that there were over 9 million viewers in France , for the France - South Korea game , also 3 million in Germany for the same game .
Good stuff.

So far, all good by the European teams, although Germany seemed rusty. Italy, one of the weaker European sides, just equalised with Australia who are rated as more than dark horses for this world cup. You know the depth is high when teams like Denmark, Switzerland and Austria can't qualify. It has to be said, Europe looks like it is going to dominate Women's football in the next few years after strong North American showings for the past 20 years. With the traditional European men's superpowers like Spain, Italy, The Netherlands and England seriously investing on top of the Scandinavian sides, France and Germany who have been good for a while, with Europe's resources, and inherit footballing knowledge it will be hard to see otherwise.
Sidi Fidi likes this.
eldanielfire is offline  
post #5 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingdom of Fev
Posts: 122
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

I think the fact that a lot of the big European clubs have now got a women's team has definitely helped the European nations , enabling
a lot of players to turn pro .
Sidi Fidi is offline  
post #6 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:56 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
eldanielfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,584
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidi Fidi View Post
I think the fact that a lot of the big European clubs have now got a women's team has definitely helped the European nations , enabling
a lot of players to turn pro .
Indeed. Lyon leasing the way, though I'm really glad my Arsenal women have returned to the top in England have appear to be adding some serious quality for next season to challenge the best in Europe.



Meanwhile Italy 2-1 win with a last minute injury time goal against the Aussies.
eldanielfire is offline  
post #7 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingdom of Fev
Posts: 122
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Italy cause a small upset by scoring in the 95th minute to beat Australia . I think the Aussie player who lost possession outside her penalty area to give Italy their equalizer , must have been watching England's men against the Netherlands .
Sidi Fidi is offline  
post #8 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ban Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pandora's Box
Posts: 16,990
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

The English really faded against the Scots in the 2nd half... they were a bit fortunate to get the win from the charging Scots.

And don't get me started on that penalty goal in the first half...

.

Françoise Abanda, Félix Auger-Aliassiame, Fedex, The Stanimal, Naomi Osaka, The Dog Dolgopolov, Petr Korda, The Borg, Ana Ivanovic

and, of course, her majesty, la reine
STEFFI GRAF
Ban Boy is offline  
post #9 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingdom of Fev
Posts: 122
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban Boy View Post
The English really faded against the Scots in the 2nd half... they were a bit fortunate to get the win from the charging Scots.

And don't get me started on that penalty goal in the first half...

.
I can't disagree with you there . I would have been disappointed if that penalty had been awarded against my team , but if that was a penalty that Brazil got against South Africa , then the England penalty was the correct decision.
Sidi Fidi is offline  
post #10 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Iblis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rome
Posts: 3,667
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidi Fidi View Post
Italy cause a small upset by scoring in the 95th minute to beat Australia . I think the Aussie player who lost possession outside her penalty area to give Italy their equalizer , must have been watching England's men against the Netherlands .
I watched the match (the first female football match I've watched in my life to be honest) and it didn't look like Australia was actually so much of a bigger side than Italy.
If we want to make a comparison with the men's game, I have to say that given the more "amateurish" and error prone level this kind of upset should probably be expected at some frequency, like what happens for example in WTA compared to ATP.

MK ~ GM ~ MS ~ VA ~ EM ~ SK ~ CG ~ YW ~ TP ~ EV ~ LR
Iblis is offline  
post #11 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
flareon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,052
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

6.1 Million watched the England Scotland game yesterday, I really enjoyed South Africa v Spain, it was actually quite good.
flareon is offline  
post #12 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Genie Bouchard of TF
 
matthias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 106,474
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

for me it´s often unbearable to watch.
German Team is so bad

matthias is offline  
post #13 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
flareon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,052
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
for me it´s often unbearable to watch.

German Team is so bad


That is true, but I still enjoy some aspects of it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flareon is offline  
post #14 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 06:56 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
eldanielfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,584
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iblis View Post
I watched the match (the first female football match I've watched in my life to be honest) and it didn't look like Australia was actually so much of a bigger side than Italy.
If we want to make a comparison with the men's game, I have to say that given the more "amateurish" and error prone level this kind of upset should probably be expected at some frequency, like what happens for example in WTA compared to ATP.
Indeed. Italy and Spain have previously be behind the curve in the women's game, but Italy's passing, technical ability, team play and intelligence on offence looked world class against supposed world cup challengers Australia.
eldanielfire is offline  
post #15 of 173 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ban Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pandora's Box
Posts: 16,990
                     
Re: Women's World Cup...



yes, Canaduh has scored against the Camaroonytoonies!!!!

Just before the end of the 1st half

Françoise Abanda, Félix Auger-Aliassiame, Fedex, The Stanimal, Naomi Osaka, The Dog Dolgopolov, Petr Korda, The Borg, Ana Ivanovic

and, of course, her majesty, la reine
STEFFI GRAF
Ban Boy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome