Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei - TennisForum.com
 35Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,083
                     
Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

I would have posted this in the LGBT thread but it involves more that LGBT.



KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Amnesty International on Wednesday slammed plans by Brunei to implement what the rights group called “vicious” Islamic criminal laws such as stoning to death for gay sex and amputation for theft.

Amnesty said in a statement that the new penalties, which also apply to children, are provided for in new sections under Brunei’s Sharia Penal Code and will come into effect April 3. The legal changes were announced in a discreet notice on the attorney general’s website, it said.

“To legalize such cruel and inhuman penalties is appalling of itself,” said Rachel Chhoa-Howard, Brunei researcher at Amnesty International. She said some of the potential offenses “should not even be deemed crimes at all, including consensual sex between adults of the same gender.”

“Brunei must immediately halt its plans to implement these vicious punishments and revise its penal code in compliance with its human rights obligations,” Chhoa-Howard said. “The international community must urgently condemn Brunei’s move to put these cruel penalties into practice.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ft/3297264002/
CrossCourt~Rally and bud887 like this.

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare

Some say that youth is wasted on the young. I disagree. I think that wisdom is wasted on the old. All you can do is give it away and the ones that need it want no part of it. Especially those you are closest to. Raymond Reddington

Last edited by HippityHop; Mar 31st, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
HippityHop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 09:26 PM
Chionophile
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cryosphere
Posts: 39,564
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Boycott these hotels owned by the Sultan of Brunei

Quote:
The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills
Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Plaza Athenee, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome
Hotel Principe di Savoia, Mi

Dancing and Skating through Life


Sam L is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 02:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Plies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,931
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

The boycott is still warranted but this thread gives a good rundown of Brunei and why it won't help much.

Plies is offline  
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: meelis is a BUG
Posts: 57,293
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Boycotting the hotel wont help and i find it hypocrisy.

How about all thise countries that murder gays and have strict laws if two men/woman caught having sex?

"People were created to be loved, things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
I missed Ambug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaedda View Post
uve turned me lesbian with all ur seduction. u know im weak
is it possible to be lesbian for just one girl?
janie meelis is a bug
Punky is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,799
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Re: “It won’t help”
Well, better boycott than doing nothing. When George Clooney or other rich and famous people do it, it raises awareness about the topic and put it front on the news.

I don’t care about their second intentions. Many good actions are led by PR/selfish reasons and they are still good and helpful, like when celebrities make donations after big natural disasters and they make everyone know about it.
Javi is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15,332
 
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

They have the same law in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudis are BEST Friends with all US Governments, not just Trump's.
No one has called to boycott the Saudis here. So why single out Brunei????

Last edited by Absolute10; Apr 2nd, 2019 at 01:14 AM.
Absolute10 is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 84,622
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Do people actually know where Brunei is?
ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,748
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute10 View Post
They have the same law in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudies are BEST Friends with all US Governments, not just Trump's.
No one has called to boycott the Saudis here. So why single out Brunei????
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei
Shifty-Eyed Dog likes this.
Jarl is online now  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: meelis is a BUG
Posts: 57,293
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei
So why now? Whats the big news? Why George doesn't call to boycott Saudi Arabia?
Absolute10 likes this.

"People were created to be loved, things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
I missed Ambug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaedda View Post
uve turned me lesbian with all ur seduction. u know im weak
is it possible to be lesbian for just one girl?
janie meelis is a bug
Punky is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Silent Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Russian Sex Toy
Posts: 27,195
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
So why now? Whats the big news? Why George doesn't call to boycott Saudi Arabia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei
This is the same argument defenders of Israel use when talking about the BDS movement. Because Israel is not the only country that abuses human rights, they think that allows them to dismiss the boycott as unfair (and anti-semitic).

So it's not surprising to see this poster write what they wrote about this case...
Hanan Ubis likes this.

Serpentine serpentine
Never straight line serpentine


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsy View Post
I want to dirty talk then our crews brawl then cuddle (while listening Paranoid London)
Silent Bird is offline  
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Mateo Mathieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Piccadilly Circus
Posts: 63,298
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusiveChanteuse View Post
Do people actually know where Brunei is?
Yes, they're your neighbours

Brunei is closer to Australia than it is to Saudi Arabia.

Back to the topic, so if a kid kidnaps something and told everyone it was some other child - does this means they will amputee the other child? I find this ridiculous!
ElusiveChanteuse likes this.


"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

~ St. Augustine
Mateo Mathieu is offline  
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: meelis is a BUG
Posts: 57,293
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei
So why the double standard? Anyone can explaine?


I didn't see George leading a protest against Saudi or the gays in Russia


Fake Hollywood

"People were created to be loved, things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
I missed Ambug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaedda View Post
uve turned me lesbian with all ur seduction. u know im weak
is it possible to be lesbian for just one girl?
janie meelis is a bug
Punky is offline  
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
JaySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,848
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
So why the double standard? Anyone can explaine?


I didn't see George leading a protest against Saudi or the gays in Russia


Fake Hollywood

Going against Saudi or Russia is not easy. Brunei is a small state that can be bullied more

WTA players that have brought me the most joy: Belinda Bencic Martina Hingis Serena Williams Naochi Aļona Ostapenko Дарья Касаткина Lucie Šafářová

Un giorno capiremo chi siamo
senza dire niente
e sembrerà normale
JaySix is offline  
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: meelis is a BUG
Posts: 57,293
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySix View Post
Going against Saudi or Russia is not easy. Brunei is a small state that can be bullied more
Yes i know i was waiting for someone to write the truth.


Thanks

"People were created to be loved, things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
I missed Ambug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaedda View Post
uve turned me lesbian with all ur seduction. u know im weak
is it possible to be lesbian for just one girl?
janie meelis is a bug
Punky is offline  
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,748
                     
Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
So why the double standard? Anyone can explaine?


I didn't see George leading a protest against Saudi or the gays in Russia


Fake Hollywood
I don't agree with the fact that no one in the mainstream media talks about the same death penalty in Saudi Arabia. It isn't a surprise to anyone that Saudi Arabia is ignored because of the military and economic relationship that western countries have with them.
I also don't care about this boycott because this won't have any real impact.

But, I still don't see why this new law in Brunei should be ignored, just because Saudi Arabia is not getting any boycott for the same thing. I don't think gays in Brunei, that will probably die with this new law, will say "Oh Saudi Arabia has the same law and no one cares, so this is okay..."
Silent Bird likes this.
Jarl is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome