al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
SERVivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,650
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Since you and the poster that followed directly solicited an answer, I'll speak for myself and allow the poster from Belgium to do the same if he/she wishes.

Though you're absolutely right that sex trafficking is a widespread problem, I was deeply moved by this specific crisis(as the original post states) because most traffickers operate as criminals normally do.....DISCREETLY, by evading the law through clever secrecy. However, the situation in Yemen/Saudi Arabia is even worse than typical,already-vile trafficking because the al-Qaeda traders are brazenly doing their deeds right out in the open, with no fear at all of prosecution.

The second part of your question is far easier to answer: though, again, you're correct that ANY nation that purposely turns a blind eye to it--including Los Estados Unidos de Mexico--is guilty of cowardice and extreme moral decadence, you can't deny that the UK and US are the most assertive in proclaiming themselves world leaders and dictating what other nations ought to do. Those in leadership positions should be expected to maintain higher-than-average level standards and, IMO, we're only seeing rock-bottom level standards from the UK and US when it comes to Saudi human rights violations. No objective observer could claim that Iran was anywhere CLOSE to Saudi Arabia in re brutal suppression tactics, and yet Iran is being suspiciously targeted while the Saudis are given virtual carte-blanche
You make great points.

The bottom line is $$$ is more important to these media than morality,

Saudi Arabia = huge Oil partner.

The US MSM only shows outrage when it concerns a demographic that they can make $$ off off.

They can't make any $$ of these sex traffic victims, but they can make $$ of the Saudis. Hence no coverage.
Serve2Win likes this.

fan of:



Mirjana Lucic-Baroni
Marta Domachowska
SERVivor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,149
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
IMO your post is the first descent into stupidity in the thread. Because, even if you're correct about there being misinformation, you offered nothing about what/why. Correct or not, at least the first two posts are people sharing what they know/think with the intent of being helpful.
Pov, what are you thinking?

Was it even necessary to point out that not all media agency directors are Freemasons who practice sexual abuse on virgin children?

That statement alone is enough to prove the OP is an idiot.
buddyholly is offline  
post #18 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2016, 02:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pandora's Box
Posts: 16,624
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

It's funny that pov keeps replying to my comments even though I told him long ago that I had him on Ignore. The only reason I saw this one is because buddyholly responded to it.

LorenzoSt.Dubois is offline  
post #19 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2016, 04:52 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,941
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Pov, what are you thinking?
I stated that clearly. Oh and there's no init-cap . . . it's just pov.

"These lifeforms feel such passionate hatreds over matters of custom, God concepts, even - strangely enough - economic systems." - Capt. J Piccard USS Enterprise

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #20 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,991
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
This is sound logic, in general, but the problem HERE is that your gov't has already supplied the weaponry, training and advisors for the Saudis to increase their military might and attack weaker nations like Yemen, not to mention the almost blanket protection the Saudis get from the UN in re human rights abuses. As such, they can't use the non-intervention crutch when they've already enabled and encouraged Saudi aggression.

As for your media needing to focus first on domestic sex trafficking, I totally agree with you, but the reality is that they're not gonna delve too deeply into ANY sort of abuses, due to the reasons mentioned earlier
The problem with this is that it ensures that there will never be a non-intervention "crutch" as you call it. I say fugg that. You can't do anything about the past but you can certainly do something about the future.

Stay out of everybody's business and let the chips fall where they may. If folks decide that they want to kill each other you can't come crying to the US to prevent it. It's cold but whattayagunnado?

As far as what some news organization covers or doesn't cover, in this age of the internet, what's the problem?

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare

Some say that youth is wasted on the young. I disagree. I think that wisdom is wasted on the old. All you can do is give it away and the ones that need it want no part of it. Especially those you are closest to. Raymond Reddington
HippityHop is offline  
post #21 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,483
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
The problem with this is that it ensures that there will never be a non-intervention "crutch" as you call it. I say fugg that. You can't do anything about the past but you can certainly do something about the future.

Stay out of everybody's business and let the chips fall where they may. If folks decide that they want to kill each other you can't come crying to the US to prevent it. It's cold but whattayagunnado?

As far as what some news organization covers or doesn't cover, in this age of the internet, what's the problem?
1.We disagree on one point; if you've directly CAUSED a problem, then you're morally responsible to try to rectify what you've done wrong. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, then you, Machiavelli and many others can make a sound academic case for non-intervention. However, the odds on your gov't. being TRULY non-interventionist are practically zero, as you well know.So, if they've determined to posit themselves as world leaders, then they should act in a morally upright manner that one should expect of a genuine, worthy leader.

2. To me, it again comes down to credibility; many mainstream news agencies heavily put on airs as arbiters of justice and truth-seekers. So, if they blatantly ignore a war of aggression and sex-slave racket just because the offenders are buddies with the agency director's government, then they can't blame us for thinking that they are complete frauds. It's one major reason--maybe the #1 reason--why so many now turn to the alternative media. To be fair, though, THOSE media members are flawed human beings, too

Laura y Bruce Goose: Dos gansos mexicanos completamente enamorados

The Caro Ascendancy--from pusher to legendary tennis goddess

When the Lizards play their Trump card, humanity suffers

WTA suffering from Dementieva withdrawal, a lack of true queens

Last edited by bruce goose; Sep 19th, 2016 at 02:12 AM. Reason: omitted word
bruce goose is offline  
post #22 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:44 AM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,941
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmtrakQuebec View Post
It's funny that pov keeps replying to my comments even though I told him long ago that I had him on Ignore. The only reason I saw this one is because buddyholly responded to it.
What's really funny is that AmtrakQuebec doesn't see how this makes him the loser - again. I get to point out some of his incredibly idiotic comments to the board at large yet don't have to suffer through an inane back-and-forth with him.

"These lifeforms feel such passionate hatreds over matters of custom, God concepts, even - strangely enough - economic systems." - Capt. J Piccard USS Enterprise

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #23 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:55 AM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,941
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Stay out of everybody's business and let the chips fall where they may. If folks decide that they want to kill each other you can't come crying to the US to prevent it. It's cold but whattayagunnado?
Much as some people seem to want that - that won't happen. Things in the world are far too connected. The only countries that don't get involved are those not powerful enough to do so. Even without overt military engagement the CIA, MI6, SVR, Mossad, etc aren't going to stand down.

The only sane argument is about what grounds are used to decide when and how to intervene.

"These lifeforms feel such passionate hatreds over matters of custom, God concepts, even - strangely enough - economic systems." - Capt. J Piccard USS Enterprise

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #24 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,991
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
1.We disagree on one point; if you've directly CAUSED a problem, then you're morally responsible to try to rectify what you've done wrong. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, then you, Machiavelli and many others can make a sound academic case for non-intervention. However, the odds on your gov't. being TRULY non-interventionist are practically zero, as you well know.So, if they've determined to posit themselves as world leaders, then they should act in a morally upright manner that one should expect of a genuine, worthy leader.

2. To me, it again comes down to credibility; many mainstream news agencies heavily put on airs as arbiters of justice and truth-seekers. So, if they blatantly ignore a war of aggression and sex-slave racket just because the offenders are buddies with the agency director's government, then they can't blame us for thinking that they are complete frauds. It's one major reason--maybe the #1 reason--why so many now turn to the alternative media. To be fair, though, THOSE media members are flawed human beings, too
1. So which is it? Do you want intervention or not? Do you really trust someone who "caused" the problem to "fix" it? The US did not intervene in the Rwanda genocide and people complained. What do you want? If you want the US to lead, are you willing to follow? And what major nation does not "intervene" somewhere? Russia, China?

2. Since when do people blindly accept what a news organization calls itself? It's up to you the consumer of news to make that determination. And if you don't like what said news organization is doing, there are plenty of alternatives in this day and age. You can make use of them, you can complain or both. But ultimately it's on you.

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare

Some say that youth is wasted on the young. I disagree. I think that wisdom is wasted on the old. All you can do is give it away and the ones that need it want no part of it. Especially those you are closest to. Raymond Reddington

Last edited by HippityHop; Sep 19th, 2016 at 03:13 PM.
HippityHop is offline  
post #25 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,483
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
1. So which is it? Do you want intervention or not? Do you really trust someone who "caused" the problem to "fix" it? The US did not intervene in the Rwanda genocide and people complained. What do you want? If you want the US to lead, are you willing to follow? And what major nation does not "intervene" somewhere? Russia, China?

2. Since when do people blindly accept what a news organization calls itself? It's up to you the consumer of news to make that determination. And if you don't like what said news organization is doing, there are plenty of alternatives in this day and age. You can make use of them, you can complain or both. But ultimately it's on you.
You've shared a worthy post so I'm using part of my lunch break to try to offer a worthy reply(in reverse order).

2. We agree almost 100% on this point but--YES--there are definitely people who are mesmerized by a slick-sounding speaker, and you've surely met lots of them. We live in a world where lots of folks lack the emotional maturity, attention span or self-discipline to read anything longer than a Facebook post to investigate the truth.....as we've seen in ABUNDANCE here at TF.. However, that's primarily the fault of the individual and not the media(though crappy, absentee parenting can play a part), and you are correct that we have plenty of alternatives.

1.There is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question: justifiable involvement in WW2 doesn't automatically = justifiable involvement in Vietnam.Tbh, I don't expect ANYthing positive from your gov't, China's, Russia's or my own. There are VERY few MLKs, Abraham Lincolns,JFKs, Benito Juarezes or Luis Colosios in this world who genuinely worry about the welfare of commonfolk(certainly no one in either of our gov'ts. right NOW), and they are invariably assassinated by the true powerbrokers. When the US gov't. intervenes, it's NOT because of heartfelt concern for victims but rather their own selfish agenda. That's why they can supposedly be so focused on democracy in Libya and Syria while turning a blind eye to their buddies in Saudi Arabia. It would be naive to expect ANY sort of prosecution for the al-Qaeda sex slave traders. The BEST case scenario, IMO, is if enough foreigners--and even some American citizens--start talking about the Saudi aggression in Yemen to the point where it becomes scandalous...and then someone in your diplomatic corps will (politely, of course) suggest to the Saudis that they need to tell their al-Qaeda pals to back off on the sex slave ring for a while until the public outcry blows over. It's not an ideal scenario but, for the victims' sake, it's FAR better than nothing.In this case, the masses could make a difference, just as resistance to the Vietnam War expedited its end

Laura y Bruce Goose: Dos gansos mexicanos completamente enamorados

The Caro Ascendancy--from pusher to legendary tennis goddess

When the Lizards play their Trump card, humanity suffers

WTA suffering from Dementieva withdrawal, a lack of true queens
bruce goose is offline  
post #26 of 238 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,483
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Here are some additional details on the conflict, with a fairly-brief article, some short clips and also a link to offer humanitarian aid:
https://www.gofundme.com/savealifeinyemen

That's not meant to judge ANYone who doesn't contribute financially; I'M not in any situation to make regular donations, either. Obviously, though, SOME people can, and there's also the chance to offer spiritual support, in prayer, for those who believe in that, and it's not difificult at all to get the word out to our acquaintances about the plight of the Yemeni people. For those of us whose governments have warm relationships with the current, vile Saudi regime, we can write letters to our elected officials' home offices. Over the course of time, hundreds of complaint letters can serve as motivation for those politicians to chat with the Saudis to make the sex-slave trade scandal go away. The Yemeni victims of the Saudi war of aggression deserve at least that much effort.

Laura y Bruce Goose: Dos gansos mexicanos completamente enamorados

The Caro Ascendancy--from pusher to legendary tennis goddess

When the Lizards play their Trump card, humanity suffers

WTA suffering from Dementieva withdrawal, a lack of true queens
bruce goose is offline  
post #27 of 238 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,483
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Yemen: A tale of Saudi Folly and Global Silence

There are a couple of minor structural errors in the article above yet that's understandable for someone from a non-English speaking culture. Overall, it's still a professional piece of journalism that's a fairly quick read with valuable information.

Laura y Bruce Goose: Dos gansos mexicanos completamente enamorados

The Caro Ascendancy--from pusher to legendary tennis goddess

When the Lizards play their Trump card, humanity suffers

WTA suffering from Dementieva withdrawal, a lack of true queens
bruce goose is offline  
post #28 of 238 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pandora's Box
Posts: 16,624
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

g'day Bruce
LorenzoSt.Dubois is offline  
post #29 of 238 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
NadalNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,572
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wta_zuperfann View Post
Human trafficking as human rights violations ...



Before the USA government and the media concern themselves with what goes on in Yemen and Saudi Arabia, they need to concern themselves with what is going on within our own borders:


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_..._United_States



In a society where young black men are often as vulnerable to police shootings and institutional abuses as Jews were in Nazi Germany, it would be far wiser for people here to address and correct these problems before concerning themselves with problems overseas. The problems we see in the States continue unabated because there are so many who continue to insist upon intervening overseas while ignoring the problems that occur domestically (with many denying that such problems even exist). Set your own house in order. Then worry about all else.
Yeah especially since we have concentration camps and make blacks wear gold stars, wtf. how could you compare the two?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post


You don't help by bringing utterly ridiculous (and that's an understatement) exaggerations and comparisons to the issue.


Beyond that, if an issue isn't of interest to you why bother reading/posting about it?
100% agree, it's been too long since I;ve said that.
pov likes this.

Sharapova's 3 Set Record 11-10
at end of US Open
NadalNut is offline  
post #30 of 238 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2016, 03:38 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
wta_zuperfann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 9,388
                     
Re: al-Qaeda Sex Slave Trade in Yemen: UK and US Media Maintain Cowardly Silence

Quote:
Yeah especially since we have concentration camps and make blacks wear gold stars, wtf. how could you compare the two?!?!?

Mebbe if a police criminal like Mark Furhmann kicked the sh!t out of you some day you'd see it differently.



Just watch this and tell me all is ever so well for those persecuted by cops:

https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-te...l#post73895017

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.



Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by wta_zuperfann; Oct 4th, 2016 at 04:07 PM.
wta_zuperfann is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome