Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones? - TennisForum.com
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Peverell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 493
                     
Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

This very well may be an ignorant thread, however I noticed that Wimbledon bumped Federer's seeding from 3rd to 2nd which is a huge difference and Anderson's (who was the finalist last year) from 8th to 4th. This also happened last year with Raonic and Djokovic who got bumped from 23rd to 12th, making his draw significantly easier and he ended up winning. I'm well aware this is not a new thing and I can trace back examples as early as 2004, but this has probably been going on for longer.

On the other hand, no changes have been made for female players. Serena remains the 11th seed despite being in the top 8 based on Wimbledon's grass formula, Goerges is still 18th and Ostapenko is unseeded (They made the SF last year). I realize they have made exceptions in the past with Serena, Venus, Maria, etc. but it doesn't seem as consistent as on the ATP.

Can anyone tell me is there logical reasoning behind this or is it simply "tradition" and if it is, how is this fair?
Peverell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 84,621
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

You should direct this question to Wimbledon, I suppose you'd get the answer you'd want rather than the posters in the forum discussing and speculating the reasons behind.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Meelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 78,827
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverell View Post
Can anyone tell me is there logical reasoning behind this or is it simply "tradition" and if it is, how is this fair?
They use formula to reshuffle seeds for men. Current ranking plus 100% of points on grass for the preceding 52 weeks plus 75% of points of the best result on grass the previous year. Federer got the second seed position thanks to his win in Halle.

It's a compromise that was agreed in 2001 after a fight between players and AELTC. Before that organizers could do whatever they wanted with the seeds.
WhistleCleaner likes this.
Meelis is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 113
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

There's a specific formula that they use for men's seeds, not sure why they don't use the same system for women:

Quote:
Since 2002 a seeding committee has not been required for the Gentlemen's Singles following an agreement with the ATP. While the seeds are still the top 32 players according to rankings, the seeding order is determined using the formula: ATP Entry System Position points + 100% points earned for all grass court tournaments in the past 12 months + 75% points earned for the best grass court tournament in the 12 months before that
csillag is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,193
 
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

They will try everything to have Federer end up winning it, even just for the last time.
Perun likes this.
Viktorija is online now  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,193
 
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csillag View Post
There's a specific formula that they use for men's seeds, not sure why they don't use the same system for women:
I believe they bumped up the seedings for Venus once in a while.
Hanan Ubis likes this.
Viktorija is online now  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,278
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csillag View Post
There's a specific formula that they use for men's seeds, not sure why they don't use the same system for women:
There's a Williams family formula.

Would they do that this year when Serena's hardly finished a tournament? Svitolina's likely to get the 8th seed spot but nobody thinks she'll make the quarters.
Dodge is online now  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
MahoganyAsteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Juraisei
Posts: 9,072
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
There's a Williams family formula.

Would they do that this year when Serena's hardly finished a tournament? Svitolina's likely to get the 8th seed spot but nobody thinks she'll make the quarters.
There is no Williams family formula.
There are two Williams Sisters who, between them, have won 12 of the last 19 championships, and have, at least one of them, appeared in 15 of the last 19 finals.
Stop casting their achievement through your twisted lens of imagined ill-procedure.

Pluto Cardboard Exoplanet, Sister Serena Jamaica Price, and Petra
MahoganyAsteroid is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,020
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Because seeding women is irrelevant as of lately, I mean they'll end up with half of the seeds out before R2.
bud887 is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Perun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Poland
Posts: 9,394
 
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktorija View Post
They will try everything to have Federer end up winning it, even just for the last time.
It is well known that tennis authorities do everything to accomodate him at the cost of other tennis players.
Perun is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Latvian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 324
                     
Ostapenko should be seeded in Wimbledon
Latvian is online now  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,645
                     
Didnt they used to just give seedings to good grass courters before that was judged by a committee. Then the spanish claycourters boycotted the event which led to them using the seeding formula and would only shuffle the top 32 seeds. I am sure this was the reason the seeds became 32 in the first place.

No boycott occurred in WTA though. They still do it through a seeding committee.
networthy likes this.
dencod18 is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Meelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 78,827
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod18 View Post
Didnt they used to just give seedings to good grass courters before that was judged by a committee. Then the spanish claycourters boycotted the event which led to them using the seeding formula and would only shuffle the top 32 seeds. I am sure this was the reason the seeds became 32 in the first place.

No boycott occurred in WTA though. They still do it through a seeding committee.
Yes. Bump up certain players and bump down others (like Muster, Bruguera etc.).

All four slams have the right to decide their own seeds. It's just that other three never use that right and follow the official rankings.
WhistleCleaner likes this.
Meelis is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15,308
 
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahoganyAsteroid View Post
There is no Williams family formula.
There are two Williams Sisters who, between them, have won 12 of the last 19 championships, and have, at least one of them, appeared in 15 of the last 19 finals.
Stop casting their achievement through your twisted lens of imagined ill-procedure.
Bravo !!!
Until another set of sisters achieve the same, the Williams sisters should be praised.
We know all the haters are canvasing for Trump 2020.
Hanan Ubis likes this.
Absolute10 is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
iGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Team Vika
Posts: 30,312
                     
Re: Is there a reason Wimbledon bumps ATP seeds and not WTA ones?

Unclear why they don't use the grass formula on the women's side. They do bump seeds though if you claim to be Wonder Woman, as we learned last year.
Perun likes this.

My number one: Victoria Azarenka

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenchies: Gilles Simon Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome