Aussie Open 2004 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
Aussie Open 2004

Might as well start this thread, even though it's not looking very hopeful for Kim ................

Personally, if she cant hold up for the Open, I think Kim should have corrective surgery immediately, which will give her some chance of recovering and still going for a Slam later this year.

Patiently waiting to join the silver surfers
fifiricci is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,971
                     
I don't know if Kim necessarily needs surgery. The complete details of her injury haven't been revealed. I mean playing a tournament 1 week after being on crutches was always going to be unrealistic. Realistically I don't think Kim will play again till Indian Wells, but that is just my opinion. I think Kim practically confirmed she wouldn't be playing AO when on the news she said she wouldn't play unless she was 100% and in 4 days I hardly see her miraculously recovering and gaining 100% fitness. If Kim does need surgery, like 'clean up' surgery to remove a chip of bone, I say the sooner the better. But just wish her the best of luck in regaining her fitness and recovering.
I think Kim's mum may well be watching her future son in law in Melbourne rather than her daughter
One thing is certain and that is the rebound ace courts are hasadous and something has to be done about them. The injury toll is horrendous and not only from this season. This year, Petrova, Stosur, Danilidou, Molik, Schnyder sprained her ankle last week and couldn't move by the end of her match today & Kim have all been injured. Monica rolled her ankle at AO last year and don't even get me started on Lina K at AO in 2002 she didn't get to play again till October/November that year after injuring her ankle. I also read that Serena first injured her knee at AO last year but don't know if that is true.

Last edited by Naomi_85; Jan 13th, 2004 at 10:10 AM.
~|Naomi|~ is offline  
post #3 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Ashie_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,313
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim&lleytonrule
I don't know if Kim necessarily needs surgery. The complete details of her injury haven't been revealed. I mean playing a tournament 1 week after being on crutches was always going to be unrealistic. Realistically I don't think Kim will play again till Indian Wells, but that is just my opinion. I think Kim practically confirmed she wouldn't be playing AO when on the news she said she wouldn't play unless she was 100% and in 4 days I hardly see her miraculously recovering and gaining 100% fitness. If Kim does need surgery, like 'clean up' surgery to remove a chip of bone, I say the sooner the better. But just wish her the best of luck in regaining her fitness and recovering.
I think Kim's mum may well be watching her future son in law in Melbourne rather than her daughter
One thing is certain and that is the rebound ace courts are hasadous and something has to be done about them. The injury toll is horrendous and not only from this season. This year, Petrova, Stosur, Danilidou, Molik, Schnyder sprained her ankle last week and couldn't move by the end of her match today & Kim have all been injured. Monica rolled her ankle at AO last year and don't even get me started on Lina K at AO in 2002 she didn't get to play again till October/November that year after injuring her ankle. I also read that Serena first injured her knee at AO last year but don't know if that is true.
normally if you chip a bone, your body breaks it down and it it gets absorbed back into the body, so if she was going to have surgery it would probably not be to remove the piece of bone...unless she didn't want to wait for it to be absorbed...but she doesn't strike me one to have surgery unless it was absolutely necessary.



The Posse:
Lucie Safarova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Casey Dellacqua, Sabine Lisicki
Tomas Berdych, Marcos Baghdatis, Novak Djokovic, Bernard Tomic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tommy Haas, Jurgen Melzer

"Legend....wait for it.....ary"
Ashie_87 is offline  
 
post #4 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim&lleytonrule
I don't know if Kim necessarily needs surgery. The complete details of her injury haven't been revealed. I mean playing a tournament 1 week after being on crutches was always going to be unrealistic. Realistically I don't think Kim will play again till Indian Wells, but that is just my opinion. I think Kim practically confirmed she wouldn't be playing AO when on the news she said she wouldn't play unless she was 100% and in 4 days I hardly see her miraculously recovering and gaining 100% fitness. If Kim does need surgery, like 'clean up' surgery to remove a chip of bone, I say the sooner the better. But just wish her the best of luck in regaining her fitness and recovering.
I think Kim's mum may well be watching her future son in law in Melbourne rather than her daughter
One thing is certain and that is the rebound ace courts are hasadous and something has to be done about them. The injury toll is horrendous and not only from this season. This year, Petrova, Stosur, Danilidou, Molik, Schnyder sprained her ankle last week and couldn't move by the end of her match today & Kim have all been injured. Monica rolled her ankle at AO last year and don't even get me started on Lina K at AO in 2002 she didn't get to play again till October/November that year after injuring her ankle. I also read that Serena first injured her knee at AO last year but don't know if that is true.
I think she needs surgery. Some chip of the bone is floating around in her ankle and that little bug should be removed ASAP.
My intuition tells me we won't see Kim in action at the Australian.
for Fifiricci.
But I'd rather not see Kim for a couple of months and back in full form for the rest of the year than see her struggle.
God, was I lucky to go to Australia last year and see so much of Kim.
What a bad start of the season. I was so thrilled after Kim's first win and had high hopes, now they are gone.

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
post #5 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_minx910
normally if you chip a bone, your body breaks it down and it it gets absorbed back into the body, so if she was going to have surgery it would probably not be to remove the piece of bone...unless she didn't want to wait for it to be absorbed...but she doesn't strike me one to have surgery unless it was absolutely necessary.
Interesting. Sounds like in this case it's just a matter of waiting. Are you active in the medical field so that you know this?

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
post #6 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:24 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,971
                     
Quote:
normally if you chip a bone, your body breaks it down and it it gets absorbed back into the body, so if she was going to have surgery it would probably not be to remove the piece of bone...unless she didn't want to wait for it to be absorbed...but she doesn't strike me one to have surgery unless it was absolutely necessary.
It depends on how big the chip is. That is why I said 'clean up' surgery to remove it. My friend chipped her bone and was told surgery wasn't necessary but a spur began to grow on her bone and the chip never absorbed. 'Clean up' surgery is not major surgery of course there is a recovery period but as far as ankle surgery goes it is actually one of the best to have, if you require it
~|Naomi|~ is offline  
post #7 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Ashie_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,313
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar
Interesting. Sounds like in this case it's just a matter of waiting. Are you active in the medical field so that you know this?
no i'm not but my sister chipped the bone in her ankle and i got told all this. also i have a friend studying medicine and asked her what she thought and she said surgery wasnt necessary in most cases. (and seeing as Kim can walk on her ankle now im thinking it isnt one of those rare cases )



The Posse:
Lucie Safarova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Casey Dellacqua, Sabine Lisicki
Tomas Berdych, Marcos Baghdatis, Novak Djokovic, Bernard Tomic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tommy Haas, Jurgen Melzer

"Legend....wait for it.....ary"
Ashie_87 is offline  
post #8 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Ashie_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,313
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim&lleytonrule
It depends on how big the chip is. That is why I said 'clean up' surgery to remove it. My friend chipped her bone and was told surgery wasn't necessary but a spur began to grow on her bone and the chip never absorbed. 'Clean up' surgery is not major surgery of course there is a recovery period but as far as ankle surgery goes it is actually one of the best to have, if you require it
ahhh ok i didnt see the 'clean up' part of your post but how does a spur begin to grow? i'm too lazy to ask my friend



The Posse:
Lucie Safarova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Casey Dellacqua, Sabine Lisicki
Tomas Berdych, Marcos Baghdatis, Novak Djokovic, Bernard Tomic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tommy Haas, Jurgen Melzer

"Legend....wait for it.....ary"
Ashie_87 is offline  
post #9 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,971
                     
Quote:
Yeah, Serena injured her knee at the Adidas Int. in 2002. Well I think it was her knee, she injured something and had to retire to Meghan Shaunessy, I remember cause I was there
Nah that was her ankle, but i forgot that and can add that to the list. I actually meant the knee she had surgery on cause soemone said she originally hurt it at AO 2003.

Quote:
ahhh ok i didnt see the 'clean up' part of your post but how does a spur begin to grow? i'm too lazy to ask my friend
Don't know. I would have to ask her that one

Ooh positive Serena hurt her ankle Sydney 2002 missed AO then one the next three slams........See where I am going
~|Naomi|~ is offline  
post #10 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,831
                     
ah.. I hope Kim's okay and her ankle heals asap coz I really really looked forward to AO about half a year ago...and I actually had to beg mah dad to let me go and now Kim... anyways hope I could see Lleyton there so I could prolly see Kim as his #1 supporter
kim4eva is offline  
post #11 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,729
                     
I don't know how a bone spur develops, but they are damn painful. Anybody ever had shin spurs before? Yikes

I don't think Kim is going to play the Aussie Open. Her words in the press conference withdrawing from Sydney were pretty strong. I trust her to take care of her body, and losing time now is better than a potential career-threatening injruy.
TennisHack is offline  
post #12 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:19 AM
country flag Rub
Senior Member
 
Rub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 3,274
                     
i hope kim will recover at least 99%!

KimClijsters | ThreeGrandSlams
Rub is offline  
post #13 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: sydney :)
Posts: 879
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim&lleytonrule
Nah that was her ankle, but i forgot that and can add that to the list. I actually meant the knee she had surgery on cause soemone said she originally hurt it at AO 2003.


Don't know. I would have to ask her that one

Ooh positive Serena hurt her ankle Sydney 2002 missed AO then one the next three slams........See where I am going
Yep, I realised that after I'd posted that, that's why I also deleted that post
spiritfullfrog is offline  
post #14 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
When does Kim have to decide whether or not she is pulling out of the AO?

Patiently waiting to join the silver surfers
fifiricci is offline  
post #15 of 335 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:37 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,971
                     
Well I'd presume she would have to decide by Sunday night. But I think Kim said she was having two days rest and then deciding so I guess she may decide on Friday or maybe do some kind of test on Friday and then see on Saturday Not really sure.

She seemed in very good sprits today at Lleyton's match. If I was her and facing the prospect of missing AO I wouldn't be that happy. I thought Kim had a great shot at her first slam here, the crowd would have been 100% on her side and Venus hasn't played since Wimbledon except for Hong Kong. But oh well.....
~|Naomi|~ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome