Is his attachment to Kim negatively affecting Lleyton's game: discuss - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
Is his attachment to Kim negatively affecting Lleyton's game: discuss

Well, is it? I dont know, but it is a though I have had. What do you think?
fifiricci is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
angele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 15,226
                     
I'm embarassed to admit I thought of this too But I always come back to the why now question? He's been dating Kim for over 3 years so why would it affect him now and not before? He won the USO and Wimbledon when he was dating Kim. I rather think that it's the whole mess with his coach and the lawsuit that is screwing him up. Plus he hasn't been playing as much this year to prove a point to the ATP I think Kim adds stability to his life and he needs that

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,845
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by angele87
I'm embarassed to admit I thought of this too But I always come back to the why now question? He's been dating Kim for over 3 years so why would it affect him now and not before? He won the USO and Wimbledon when he was dating Kim. I rather think that it's the whole mess with his coach and the lawsuit that is screwing him up. Plus he hasn't been playing as much this year to prove a point to the ATP I think Kim adds stability to his life and he needs that
That's exactly what I said! We're so in sync QG

btw we just had this conversation recently in LLL

*Waits for Dolly to come argue the other side* just kidding
Hawk is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:09 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,551
                     
I agree too. Its not Kim that is affecting him. She is the one constant thing in his life . Both have proven that their relationship has not hampered their career progression, and I too doubt that this would be the problem now.

Lleyton has had so much going on lately, and although he has already dealt with the added pressure of being a defending champion of a grand slam once (USO 2002), I don't think this is a load that gets easier to bear second time around. As an Aussie, I can tell you now that there has been alot of 'hype' for the poor guy e.g. "Now stay tuned for Wimbledon where Lleyton Hewitt will begin his title defense and attempt to be the first Australian to defend his title since 1971!!!!!" etc. etc. You've got to feel for him.

I believe that he is well within his rights to question his treatment/fines etc. by the ATP, but his current battle with them has to be an issue for him. This needs to be resolved (in a fair and just manner) so that tennis can become a passion again, not just a political argument.

He needs a coach!!!! Yes, these top guys know how to play tennis, but he needs a good coach who can support, motivate and encourage him and while he's at it, help that elusive first serve a little . I think he needs stability here, he needs to have someone who has delt with what he's dealing with now, he needs to know that person is on his side and that that is what matters, not everyone elses expectations of him.

*Well, Lleyki's often seem to be prone to LONG replies......wonders if I too am falling victim to that *

So, there you have it, this is what I think. I genuinely feel for him now and I'm very glad he does have someone to give him a big hug right now .
possie is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 404
 
You know...
This is awful, but what crossed my mind was not whether Kim is actually affecting him but whether he thinks Kim might be affecting him.
Since they've been together for three years, during which he has won two grandslams, I think it's ridiculous to say that his relationship with her is affecting his game. I just hope he sees it that way as well, as I would hate for this to put stress on their relationship.
Peridotpixie is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
angele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 15,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridotpixie
You know...
This is awful, but what crossed my mind was not whether Kim is actually affecting him but whether he thinks Kim might be affecting him.
OMG I never thought of that But I have to admit, it makes a lot of sense. And now don't take this the wrong way but I hope you're wrong I pray that Lleyton doesn't start to question his relationship with Kim because right now, he needs to have some stability in his life and Kim is exactly that. What I wouldn't give to be inside Lley's head for a day

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:15 AM
 
Lisbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,432
                     
At a micro level, you could probably argue that staying in Paris affected Lleyton's grass preparation, but it's far from the only reason he's in a bit of a slump.

At a larger level, it is absolutely clear that they are a great stabilising force for each other. If anything, he's more likely to bounce back quickly because he has Kim.
Lisbeth is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 433
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by angele87
I'm embarassed to admit I thought of this too But I always come back to the why now question? He's been dating Kim for over 3 years so why would it affect him now and not before? He won the USO and Wimbledon when he was dating Kim. I rather think that it's the whole mess with his coach and the lawsuit that is screwing him up. Plus he hasn't been playing as much this year to prove a point to the ATP I think Kim adds stability to his life and he needs that

I agree. I think this happened because of his coach change. Kim has nothing to do with that loss. BEcause if she had we could blame LL for Kim's losses
Kornelija is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Aussie_Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,857
                     
I agree 2!!
Its the coach drama & legal fiasco thats behind his bad results.
Nothin 2 do with Kim.

We will miss you Kim!.


Best of Luck in 2007 to: Kim & Bryan, Lleyton, Alicia, Todd, Sam, Chris, Casey, Wayne, Kirsten & all the other Aussies & injured players.
Aussie_Kim is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: I'll ask.
Posts: 5,213
                     
"Is his attachment to Kim negatively affecting Lleyton's game: discuss"

I beg you pardon?


How do you mean that, exactly?


Any relationship can obviously affect you positively or negatively... are you saying things between Kim and Lleyton are not what they could/should be?
Lynx is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: I'll ask.
Posts: 5,213
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornelija
.../... Kim has nothing to do with that loss. BEcause if she had we could blame LL for Kim's losses
Sound reasoning, Kornelija.
Lynx is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:44 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 515
                     
I'm sure Lleyton needs Kim and he won't think such a thing because he won two Grand Slams and two Masters titles and become world number one when he was with her. I only think he needs a new coach and he needs to play a little bit more matches because when you don't play often it's hard to come out there and to make great results in Grand Slams, it's possible, but hard. So Lleyton keep playing and find a new coach... and the most important thing STAY WITH KIM, SHE NEEDS YOU AND YOU NEED HER !!!!!!
Lleykimmy1 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
"Is his attachment to Kim negatively affecting Lleyton's game: discuss"

I beg you pardon?


How do you mean that, exactly?


Any relationship can obviously affect you positively or negatively... are you saying things between Kim and Lleyton are not what they could/should be?
I'm not saying anything, one way or the other, I made that clear at the start.

I am a huge fan of both Kim and Lleyton and their relationship is their business and I am not criticising them (being a romantic at heart!!). But you cant avoid the fact that impartial onlookers may start looking at the amount of time Lleyton spends with Kim "off the ball" and suggest that it may affect his preparation. He has been doing more of that this year particularly, because Kim has been so successful in so many tournaments (getting to the semis or final of ALL of them).
fifiricci is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: I'll ask.
Posts: 5,213
                     
Ah - I see.

Ok - I can't comment on that, then. I don't follow men's tennis as much as I once used to, so I haven't seen enough of Lleyton to have an opinion.

But yesterday's match I did see (with the exception of the first set), and I thought Karlovic was playing extremely well. Well, maybe that's his normal level of play, I wouldn't know, I'd never heard of him before - but his serve was as big as Ivanisevic's in his best days, AND he was quite efficient at the net too, imo.

Would Lleyton have won from this Karlovic last year? An honest question to all you tennis-adepts (and I know there are a few in our Lounge ) - 'cause I really don't know.
Lynx is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Ashie_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,313
                     
no i dont think its her thats affecting him...its all that legal crap..o yeh...and he needs a coach if anything shes a POSITIVE affect...like stability...stability is good...like having someone familiar travelling with you is calming-trust me-with all the travelling i do



The Posse:
Lucie Safarova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Casey Dellacqua, Sabine Lisicki
Tomas Berdych, Marcos Baghdatis, Novak Djokovic, Bernard Tomic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tommy Haas, Jurgen Melzer

"Legend....wait for it.....ary"
Ashie_87 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome