Need Big Help!will Anyone Help??? - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 21
 
Need Big Help!will Anyone Help???

HI!!!I'm a newbie in this forum and general in WTA tournaments and I want to ask if anyone can teach me EVERYTHING about it. for example I want to learn from which season does the tournament begins?when it ends?how many tennis-players take part in????what time each tennis game takes place???As you can understand PLEASE open tha lights for me!!!

thanks
Siromist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,466
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siromist
HI!!!I'm a newbie in this forum and general in WTA tournaments and I want to ask if anyone can teach me EVERYTHING about it. for example I want to learn from which season does the tournament begins?when it ends?how many tennis-players take part in????what time each tennis game takes place???As you can understand PLEASE open tha lights for me!!!

thanks

hi

i don't know everything but probably i can give you some information.
the tournaments start before the aussie open in january.then comes the aus open. the last tornament is the wta championships, which is in november /i think/.
i don't know where but i think you can find a list about the tournaments.

welcome and have fun
Réka


Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. Oscar Wilde
To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don't want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt. Madonna
babkonzerv is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 21
 
Wait a minute!! you confused me!!!
how many tournaments are there??? isn't just one??? for example the formula 1 championship is just one tournament and starts from march and it ends in october. What's the procedure in tennis?
Siromist is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,466
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siromist
Wait a minute!! you confused me!!!
how many tournaments are there??? isn't just one??? for example the formula 1 championship is just one tournament and starts from march and it ends in october. What's the procedure in tennis?

lol
in f1 there are races in different cities. it's the same in tennis, but every single one is called tournament.
is it clear now? /like in f1 australia was called tournament, brazil was called etc../
there are a lot of tournaments is a year


Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. Oscar Wilde
To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don't want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt. Madonna
babkonzerv is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,341
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siromist
HI!!!I'm a newbie in this forum and general in WTA tournaments and I want to ask if anyone can teach me EVERYTHING about it. for example I want to learn from which season does the tournament begins?when it ends?how many tennis-players take part in????what time each tennis game takes place???As you can understand PLEASE open tha lights for me!!!

thanks
There are 3 governing bodies in tennis.
The ITF which runs the 4 Grand Slams, the Davis Cup and the Federation Cup
The WTA which runs the women's tour
The ATP which runs the men's tour.

WTA and ATP events run on a weekly basis and there could be 3-4 tennis tournaments taking place each week in different locations. Players select which tournaments they want to play in based on their ranking. The more prize money a tournament offers the higher your ranking must be to get in. The highest level is a Tier 1. The lowest is Tier 4. Below that is the Challenger circuit which is for up and coming players and the Junior circuit which is for younger players.

Kim and other Top 20 players play mainly in Tier 1, Tier 2A, Tier 2 and occasionally Tier 3 events.

The tennis season is very long ending on November for the women with the WTA championship.
The ATP tour also ends in November with the Masters Cup
The ITF finished its season in December with the final of the Davis Cup.

The season starts again at the end of December with an ITF event (the hopamn Cup) and several ATP/WTA events start in January.
Then there is the Australian Open a Grand Slam that all the top players play in.

The next GS is the French Open in May
Then Wimbledon in June/July
US Open in September.

In between ATP and WTA events are played weekly. They last a week on average with players playing a singles match every day.
GSs last 2 weeks with players playing a singles match every second day.

If there are errors here can more knowledgable people correct them?
duck is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: sydney :)
Posts: 879
                     
If you want a whole list of the tournaments click here

Also the official Sanex WTA Tour site has a whole lot of information about players, tournaments, pretty much everything you need to know!

Here's a link to the Official site!


Glad I could help!
spiritfullfrog is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 21
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
There are 3 governing bodies in tennis.
The ITF which runs the 4 Grand Slams, the Davis Cup and the Federation Cup
The WTA which runs the women's tour
The ATP which runs the men's tour.

WTA and ATP events run on a weekly basis and there could be 3-4 tennis tournaments taking place each week in different locations. Players select which tournaments they want to play in based on their ranking. The more prize money a tournament offers the higher your ranking must be to get in. The highest level is a Tier 1. The lowest is Tier 4. Below that is the Challenger circuit which is for up and coming players and the Junior circuit which is for younger players.

Kim and other Top 20 players play mainly in Tier 1, Tier 2A, Tier 2 and occasionally Tier 3 events.

The tennis season is very long ending on November for the women with the WTA championship.
The ATP tour also ends in November with the Masters Cup
The ITF finished its season in December with the final of the Davis Cup.

The season starts again at the end of December with an ITF event (the hopamn Cup) and several ATP/WTA events start in January.
Then there is the Australian Open a Grand Slam that all the top players play in.

The next GS is the French Open in May
Then Wimbledon in June/July
US Open in September.

In between ATP and WTA events are played weekly. They last a week on average with players playing a singles match every day.
GSs last 2 weeks with players playing a singles match every second day.

If there are errors here can more knowledgable people correct them?
Players select which tournaments they want to play in based on their ranking.

and the ranking of the players is based on what?????how do you total the ranking of each??
Siromist is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,969
                     
the rankings are based on how far you get in a tournament, like if you are in the final of tournament you gat more points than the ones who lost in the first round etc. and they can get bonuspoints by beating higher ranked players


Elleke is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 21
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elke_belke
the rankings are based on how far you get in a tournament, like if you are in the final of tournament you gat more points than the ones who lost in the first round etc. and they can get bonuspoints by beating higher ranked players
alright, so do you know what's the point system???is there any point table??
Siromist is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Majo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,324
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siromist
alright, so do you know what's the point system???is there any point table??
http://www.sanexwta.com/assets/story_pdf/2002_SANEX_POINT_CARD.pdf

got this link from someone here 'cause I once didn't really understand how it worked... hope it helps you...


"Ik weet dat wij ons erdoor slaan, dat we zij aan zij blijven staan
Tot alle stormen zijn verstomd en er een nieuwe lente komt
En alles weer begint van voor af aan..."

Nolle in causa est; non posse praetenditur.
~Seneca~
Majo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome