The reputation feature - LAST UPDATE: AUGUST 2003
I've noticed a lot of people don't know about the new feature "reputation" yet. So let me share what I know (and still don't know) about it.
Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, or fill us in on the things I've missed...
* * * * * * *
Latest news (discovered july 2003):
there is a 2 byte storage limit, meaning that the minimum and maximum reputation a member can have lies between
-32767 and +32767
* * * * * * *
About the bubbles and their colors:
About points: looking them up, giving, and taking away...:
next to your posts you see a little bubble. It can be black, green, gray or red - and there can be more than one. If you put your arrow over it a little info-label will come up, telling you something about your reputation. The better your reputation, the more flattering the info.
BLACK means your reputation is "off": others won't be able to see how you are doing reputation-wise. You can put it on or off in your user cp: click on user cp, click on options - it's the second option in the list.
GREEN means you have a good reputation. I think this means you have AT LEAST 1 point. First you'll get an extra one for every 100 points you reach; later on you'll need more than 100 points for each extra bubbles...
GRAY means you don't have a particular reputation. I THINK it means you have less than 1 point (and more than what? minus 10? I don't know.)
RED means you have a really bad reputation...
- at the right from the "On/offline"-button you can see a little gray button which is supposed to represent a balance (in the red skin it's still the old mark right now - maybe it will change later). If you click on it under one of your own posts, a little window will pop up to tell you how many points you have. You'll also be able to see if that particular post has been approved or disapproved of, since every approval and disapproval (with their comments) will appear in the popup window.
Another way to check your points in in your user control panel. You'll see he amount of points you have + the last
five fifteen persons who rated you. (changed end June 2003 - thanks Danny)
- A rating is positive if it's been represented by a green bubble .
- It is neutral when the bubble is gray (the person rating you has not enough posts or reputation to give or take points).
- It is negative when the bubble is red .
About comments: giving them, looking them up...:
- if you click on the "balance" (or the "v/x"-mark ) under a post of someone else, again a little window will pop up - but now you'll be able to choose between "I approve of this post" or "I disapprove". You cannot choose the amount of points you give or take away. That depends on several other things:
- on the amount of POSTS you have. If you have a lot of posts, you'll give (or take!) a lot of points... if you have at least some reputation.
- on the amount of REPUTATION POINTS you have. If you don't have any reputation at all (ie: your bubble is gray or red) you won't be able to give points. If you have a lot of points, you'll give (or take!) a lot of points... if you have at least some posts.
- on seniority: the longer you're a member, the more points you'll be worth.
There is still a lot of guessing in this, since it is not always clear why some people give so much more than others...
This is what webmaster WTA_amanda has said about it:
"Your reputation is also built up by how long you've been a member, the amount of posts you make, and a few other hidden factors like kissing up to adminstrators and moderators for example." An admin is able to rate without "spreading"- or "24 hours"-limitations... but he'll be giving only
10 50 points each time (see also "About restrictions") correction (July 2003): this has been changed from 10 to 50 points.
- the amount of points you can take away (by disapproving of a post) is only about half of what you would give (by approving)
- when somebody rates you, you will be able to see which post s/he rated (or rather: to which thread the rated post belongs), when (date and time) s/he rated it, and who it was. You'll also see their comment - if they made one. You can see this info in your user cp. There is one restriction: you'll only see the last
five fifteen... so if you receive a lot of reps while you're not aware of it (or while you're not around...) you may have missed a lot of your approvers/disapprovers... (Since this changed end June 2003 from five to fifteen, it's less probable you'll miss a lot of comments - thanks Danny!)
- when rating somebody you can leave them a little comment. (You don't have to leave your name: it will automatically be attached.)
- you can click on the rated thread, that will take you to the post that was rated...
As far as I know, there are three restrictions in rating:
- you cannot rate the same post more than once
- you cannot rate the same person again unless you have "spread some reputation around" first - meaning, you have to rate others first (last report said 20, and 20 it is - thanks Toon)
- you can rate only 11 posters in 24 hours (again: thank you Toon); after that you'll have to wait till you're able to rate again...
- An admin can rate without the "spreading" and "24 hours"-limitations... but he'll never give much (only
10 50 points...) correction (July 2003): this has been changed from 10 to 50 points
green dots & comments: when do they change:
note: some ppll (Mac-users?) don't see the comments
normally they pop up when you hold your mouse-arrow over the green (or gray or red) dots
100 pnts needed for each new dot
=> 50 pnts needed for a new comment
1 green dot
: 1 to 100 points points
2 green dots
- 1 to 50 "is on a distinguished road"
=> 100 pnts needed for each new comment
- 51 to ... "will become famous soon enough"
: 101 to 200 points
3 green dots
- ... to 150 "will become famous soon enough"
- 151 to ... "has a spectacular aura about"
: 201 to 300 points
4 green dots
- ... to 250 "has a spectacular aura about"
- 251 to ... "is a jewel in the rough"
: 301 to 400 points
5 green dots
- ... to 350 "is a jewel in the rough"
- 351 to ... "is just really nice"
: 401 to 500 points
=> 200 pnts needed for each new dot
6 green dots
- ... to 450 "is just really nice"
- 451 to ... "is a glorious beacon of light"
: 501 to 700 points
=> comment stays the same till 1000
7 green dots
- ... to 550 "is a glorious beacon of light"
- 551 to 650 "is a a name known to all"
- 651 to ... "is a splendid one to behold"
: 701 to 900 points
8 green dots
- ... "is a splendid one to behold"
: 901 to 1100 points
=> comment stays the same till 1500
9 green dots
- ... to 1000 "is a splendid one to behold"
- 1001 to ... "has much to be proud of"
: 1101 to 1300 points
10 green dots
- ... "has much to be proud of"
: 1301 to 1500 points
11 green dots
- ... to 1500 "has much to be proud of"
: > 1500 points
=> no new dots to be had
=> this is the end of the line
=> comment doesn't change anymore
- 1501 to 2000 "has a brilliant future"
=> comment stays the same till 2000
- > 2000 "has a reputation beyond repute"
Last edited by Lynx; Mar 24th, 2004 at 03:25 PM.
Reason: Made some corrections...