It's still there, or isn't? ... (game) - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Talking It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

It was a hot, sunny morning, Lisa had tickets for the US Open and she was getting ready to go. Her friend had earlier made a detailed list of 5 objects she should take with her, so Lisa put all those 5 objects in an empty box and went to watch some tennis. When she arrived, the first match of the day was just about to start, she put the box on the seat next to her and forgot about it ...

When she came home that night, she realized that she had left the box on the seat. She went back the next day, and luckily, it was still there. Nobody/nothing opened the box, it wasn't damaged, nobody's hands even touched it, it was just the way she had left it. She opened it and saw, that it wasn't empty. She took out the list from her pocket to check whether everything was still there. To her surprise, none of the things from the list could be found in the box.

So the question is - what could have been on that list?
moonlight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 232
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Bottle of water
donna944 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Just to make it clear - those object are not necessary things that you would take to a tennis match (some yes, some probably not )

Donna:
It wasn't on my list, but it's a good answer.
moonlight is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
xin_hui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16,569
 
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

A new game?

Sunscreen/sunblock
xin_hui is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xin_hui View Post
Sunscreen/sunblock


Janice you have to help me on this, maybe I don't know a lot about sunscreens, but what has exactly happened to it, so that it disappeared from the box?

It will better if everybody also explains why the object wasn't in the box any more.

Here is the way I understood Donna's answer: It was hot, the bottle wasn't closed, so the water evaporated from it. Lisa could only see an empty bottle, instead of a bottle of water the next day.
Is that what you had in mind Donna?
moonlight is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,889
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Firstly, you said she put 5 objects in an EMPTY bag. Than you said, when she opened that bag, it WASN`T empty, but still she couldn`t find those 5 objects. I`m confused
So the only trick is that we need to find which were those 5 objects?
Boreas is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 970
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Hmm...chocolate. It know it's not indicated to eat chocolate on a sunny day, but Lisa might be a chocolate addicted. I guess she didn't see it in the box because being so hot, the chocolate melted?
doris_k is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Firstly, you said she put 5 objects in an EMPTY bag. Than you said, when she opened that bag, it WASN`T empty, but still she couldn`t find those 5 objects. I`m confused
So the only trick is that we need to find which were those 5 objects?
Yup, that's my job here - confusing people

As you can see, there are a lot of possibilities. Try to think of something.
moonlight is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,889
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Oh, I didn`t even see it`s Kim`s forum I have no idea about this game, though
Boreas is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doris_k View Post
Hmm...chocolate. It know it's not indicated to eat chocolate on a sunny day, but Lisa might be a chocolate addicted. I guess she didn't see it in the box because being so hot, the chocolate melted?
That brings us to a very important scientific question: Is a melted chocolate still a chocolate? I really don't know.

Let's say a chocolate bar, then it's perfect Doris.

And I just know what the next suggested object will be.

Last edited by moonlight; Aug 29th, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
moonlight is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
xin_hui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16,569
 
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post


Janice you have to help me on this, maybe I don't know a lot about sunscreens, but what has exactly happened to it, so that it disappeared from the box?

It will better if everybody also explains why the object wasn't in the box any more.

Here is the way I understood Donna's answer: It was hot, the bottle wasn't closed, so the water evaporated from it. Lisa could only see an empty bottle, instead of a bottle of water the next day.
Is that what you had in mind Donna?
oh i see...............i just thought of things that one will bring to watch tennis, i didnt think about how they could disappear

ignore my answer if it makes no sense now i dont even understand myself
xin_hui is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xin_hui View Post
oh i see...............i just thought of things that one will bring to watch tennis, i didnt think about how they could disappear

ignore my answer if it makes no sense now i dont even understand myself

How many lines of my first post did you actually read?
moonlight is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 25,232
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

soda water or lemonade, but it would become very flat after being in a box exposed to the sun. thats all I can think of
Ben. is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 232
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post


Here is the way I understood Donna's answer: It was hot, the bottle wasn't closed, so the water evaporated from it. Lisa could only see an empty bottle, instead of a bottle of water the next day.
Is that what you had in mind Donna?
Actually I kinda mis-read your post too and thought you said nothing was in there lol
But yep, your explanation of my answer sounds good enough to me lol
donna944 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: It's still there, or isn't? ... (game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna944 View Post
Actually I kinda mis-read your post too and thought you said nothing was in there lol
But yep, your explanation of my answer sounds good enough to me lol
OK, I am officially concerned about this now. Is my English that bad, or am I doing a really good job of confusing everyone?

I'm glad you liked my explanation.
moonlight is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome