Kim is too nice to be a champ ... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,324
                     
Angry Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

The difference between her and Maria came out so clearly in Thursday's match. Kim lacks the "rage de vaincre" (the rage to win) that Serena Justine and Maria have so abundantly.

I am afraid her last season will be a string of Tier 2 titles and GS semifinals. Mentally she has left the top tennis scene already after her GS title in 2005.

It is a blow to the fans that she stops playing at the age of 23. Her regularity could have easily made her top the career money list of all times.
Lei Clijsters can easily say that the fans have no right to make a claim on her. Well they do in the sense that they have always PAID her.

The alternative now: be a housewife get kids marry a basketball player at 23 svp

If at least for her last season she would focus on getting a great GS title (Wimbledon or RG).. The odds this will happen are low though. Already the fact she will play paris and Antwerp is an indicator. She will get lots of applause and people will stress how nice she really is.

In short she is the best player ever never to have been a champ.

Maybe it all was too easy for her. All real fans of her must feel disappointed in a sense. I am for sure.

Last edited by gopher; Jan 26th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
gopher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Yep, I have to agree with most of this. It's a thoughtful post - critical but also fair.

And I agree with you re Lei Clijsters' post. It never ceases to amaze me how people who have become famous (eg for sport, TV or film) seem to conveniently forget, once the money is rolling in, that they wouldn't BE famous if they didn't have fans and no one gave a toss about their existence

Patiently waiting to join the silver surfers
fifiricci is offline  
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Here come the broken records again.


2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
 
post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
xin_hui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16,569
 
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

here we go again
xin_hui is offline  
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 970
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

remember that kim won the USO+2YEC+2Indian wells+miami+rome+....and many many other big and important tournaments. i don't think it's right to judge her, just because she lost in the semi's at AO. in my opinion, kim is a great champion, the greatest champion actually. so, i'm sorry, but i don't think kim is too nice to be a champ. she is already a big champ...at least for me!!!!
doris_k is offline  
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

I don't understand one thing. If you don't like the way she plays tennis or the way she is, why are you a fan of hers? There are a lot different players, pick someone who is more to your liking.
Why are so many people complaining about her? She has been always playing crappy tennis in slams. Did everybody forget the way she played RG 2003 against Justine when she couldn't hit the ball in the court, or in AO 2003 against Serena when she was so nervous in the third set that she forgot that she had to serve and just stood there, or in 2004 AO when she hit a double fault whenever she had the chance to come back in the match against Justine, or RG 2005 when she lost to Davenport when all of a sudden her forehand went gaga after a comfortable lead, or... The only difference is that now people blame everything on this "retiring thing" and lack of motivation. She is who she is and she won't change. If you go to the shop and buy yourself a black cat, then don't keep complaining that you have a black cat and not a white one.
moonlight is offline  
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
honeyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,666
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

@ moonlight: fabulous post . Couldn´t agree more.

Kim Clijsters
QUEEN OF HEARTS


Finally she´s back!:
honeyke is offline  
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:33 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,043
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyke View Post
@ moonlight: fabulous post . Couldn´t agree more.
Same goes for me
Sara81 is offline  
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21,464
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
I don't understand one thing. If you don't like the way she plays tennis or the way she is, why are you a fan of hers? There are a lot different players, pick someone who is more to your liking.
Why are so many people complaining about her? She has been always playing crappy tennis in slams. Did everybody forget the way she played RG 2003 against Justine when she couldn't hit the ball in the court, or in AO 2003 against Serena when she was so nervous in the third set that she forgot that she had to serve and just stood there, or in 2004 AO when she hit a double fault whenever she had the chance to come back in the match against Justine, or RG 2005 when she lost to Davenport when all of a sudden her forehand went gaga after a comfortable lead, or... The only difference is that now people blame everything on this "retiring thing" and lack of motivation. She is who she is and she won't change. If you go to the shop and buy yourself a black cat, then don't keep complaining that you have a black cat and not a white one.
Grohl is offline  
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:01 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,729
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
I don't understand one thing. If you don't like the way she plays tennis or the way she is, why are you a fan of hers? There are a lot different players, pick someone who is more to your liking.
Why are so many people complaining about her? She has been always playing crappy tennis in slams. Did everybody forget the way she played RG 2003 against Justine when she couldn't hit the ball in the court, or in AO 2003 against Serena when she was so nervous in the third set that she forgot that she had to serve and just stood there, or in 2004 AO when she hit a double fault whenever she had the chance to come back in the match against Justine, or RG 2005 when she lost to Davenport when all of a sudden her forehand went gaga after a comfortable lead, or... The only difference is that now people blame everything on this "retiring thing" and lack of motivation. She is who she is and she won't change. If you go to the shop and buy yourself a black cat, then don't keep complaining that you have a black cat and not a white one.
Well, there's not much to add to that!
TennisHack is offline  
post #11 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
angele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 15,226
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
I don't understand one thing. If you don't like the way she plays tennis or the way she is, why are you a fan of hers? There are a lot different players, pick someone who is more to your liking.
Why are so many people complaining about her? She has been always playing crappy tennis in slams. Did everybody forget the way she played RG 2003 against Justine when she couldn't hit the ball in the court, or in AO 2003 against Serena when she was so nervous in the third set that she forgot that she had to serve and just stood there, or in 2004 AO when she hit a double fault whenever she had the chance to come back in the match against Justine, or RG 2005 when she lost to Davenport when all of a sudden her forehand went gaga after a comfortable lead, or... The only difference is that now people blame everything on this "retiring thing" and lack of motivation. She is who she is and she won't change. If you go to the shop and buy yourself a black cat, then don't keep complaining that you have a black cat and not a white one.
Great post

I just want to comment one a few things too...

Quote:
The alternative now: be a housewife get kids marry a basketball player at 23 svp
You say that like there's something wrong with it. It's every woman's choice was she chooses to do with her life once she reaches the age where it's possible to get married and have kids. Some woman will focus on their career for a little while and have kids ( ex. Davenport), some women will balance kids and a career, some will choose not to have any kids at all, and some will choose to do what Kim has done, which is be a full time wife/mom. Just because it wouldn't be your choice doesn't mean it's wrong or that you should question it.

Quote:
Maybe it all was too easy for her. All real fans of her must feel disappointed in a sense. I am for sure.
I'm not. Sure, it was frustrating to see Kim lose the other night but I'm not dissapointed in Kim. Nobody forced me to be a Kim fan and after all these years of being a fan, I know exactly what I'm getting. If I was only interested in somebody winning all the time, I would be a fan of Justine or Maria or the Williams sisters, but I'm not. I'm a fan of Kim because I love who she is, not just how she plays tennis. For me, and for a lot of other Kim fans, it's not just about the tennis. I would never, ever make Kim more of a 'champion' if it meant having to give up her great personality. Sure, having both would be great, but we don't often see that and imo there's a reason why. If you can be ruthless on the court, you have to have that in you, it's not something you can switch on and off imo. And above all, I just want Kim to be happy... it's her life, not mine.

Also, on a sidenote, if what you say in your post is true, you must be on frustrated/angry/dissapointed fan which is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me. Why not just cheer for somebody who doesn't upset you so much?

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline  
post #12 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,324
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Why not just cheer for somebody who doesn't upset you so much?
She is my compatriot babe. She plays for her country as well.

Quote:
some will choose to do what Kim has done, which is be a full time wife/mom
Like Tracey Austin, I give her two years on that. In my view she has indeed an idealized view of married life which does not correspond with reality.
gopher is offline  
post #13 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,043
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by angele87 View Post



I'm not. Sure, it was frustrating to see Kim lose the other night but I'm not dissapointed in Kim. Nobody forced me to be a Kim fan and after all these years of being a fan, I know exactly what I'm getting. If I was only interested in somebody winning all the time, I would be a fan of Justine or Maria or the Williams sisters, but I'm not. I'm a fan of Kim because I love who she is, not just how she plays tennis. For me, and for a lot of other Kim fans, it's not just about the tennis. I would never, ever make Kim more of a 'champion' if it meant having to give up her great personality. Sure, having both would be great, but we don't often see that and imo there's a reason why. If you can be ruthless on the court, you have to have that in you, it's not something you can switch on and off imo. And above all, I just want Kim to be happy... it's her life, not mine.

Also, on a sidenote, if what you say in your post is true, you must be on frustrated/angry/dissapointed fan which is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me. Why not just cheer for somebody who doesn't upset you so much?
Amen!
Sara81 is offline  
post #14 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,687
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Gopher,
Exactly what I said in the other thread, she's too nice to be the best.
She lacks that "rage de vaincre", as you said
I think you are a bit harsh at the end of the post though
I've been a true fan from the start, but I feel more angry against her than sad that she's not playing in Australia (where she got amazing results) anymore. So in a way I understand when you say that you're disappointed.

I like moonlight's post too. You're right, she's been quite crappy in slams (when you look at all the other titles she has). But it's currently that she looks like she's not hungry anymore. Since USO 2005 it looks like she's achieved what she wanted, it's like she has no more goals in tennis. She doesn't seem to care anymore about those losses and lack of motivation against top players, and claims everywhere she goes she wants to be a mother. It's getting more regular so I think her scheduled retirement definitely has something to do with this.
Umami is offline  
post #15 of 112 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
                     
Re: Kim is too nice to be a champ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniKim View Post
She looks like she's not hungry anymore. Since USO 2005 it looks like she's achieved what she wanted, it's like she has no more goals in tennis. She doesn't seem to care anymore about those losses and lack of motivation against top players, and claims everywhere she goes she wants to be a mother. It's getting more regular so I think her scheduled retirement definitely has something to do with this.
Did you hear her explain how she prepared for this season, that she worked harder than ever to be fit and give herself a chance of winning tournaments? Did you see her fight like a lioness in the Sydney final? Have you seen the look on her face when she realized that she is going to lose in the AO semifinal? She surely wants to be a mother, but not yet, otherwise she would have already stopped. Don't listen to her words after a loss, look at her face, her real emotions are written all over it.
moonlight is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome