2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
gamesetmatchrafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,629
                     
No martic,no vekic next week.While Konjuh is injured...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritRebell View Post
I just want to let you know I can read minds. It's a quality not everyone has.
gamesetmatchrafa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Hakapeszi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,967
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I


Winter Is Coming

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Hakapeszi is offline  
post #18 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Hakapeszi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,967
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Babos won't play in Tallin.

Most possible fourth member is Panna Udvardy in the Hungarian team.

Winter Is Coming

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Hakapeszi is offline  
 
post #19 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
rucolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45,199
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Jorovic out too (injured) !

Estonia, Croatia, Hungary and Serbia are weak now !
(Kanepi, Vekic, Martic, Babos and Jorovic withdrew late)

And suddenly Croatia is even in danger to get relegated

GB has a walking bye into World Group 2 play-offs
This could not be any easier for GB to advance

Serena: "We have great personalities like Jelena (Jankovic) on the tour."
Jelena: "If I had to pick someone after me, I'd pick Serena."


Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki P. Kvitova
N. Petrova A. Chakvetadze A. Myskina L. Davenport M. Hingis
A. Kournikova T. Paszek K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova
GNTM 2018
rucolo is offline  
post #20 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
rucolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45,199
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Serbia should win group A
(But Bulgaria or Georgia could upset them)

GB will win group B very easily

Group C is suddenly very open now !
Hungary, Slovenia and Sweden all have a chance to win
And very weak Croatia should finish last

Latvia should win group D
(But Poland could be tricky)

Serena: "We have great personalities like Jelena (Jankovic) on the tour."
Jelena: "If I had to pick someone after me, I'd pick Serena."


Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki P. Kvitova
N. Petrova A. Chakvetadze A. Myskina L. Davenport M. Hingis
A. Kournikova T. Paszek K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova
GNTM 2018
rucolo is offline  
post #21 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:41 PM
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
 
Jorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 175,813
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Go Geo team!



-


Please visit my Caroline website.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page

Last edited by Jorn; Feb 5th, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Jorn is offline  
post #22 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,956
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
Jorovic out too (injured) !

Estonia, Croatia, Hungary and Serbia are weak now !
(Kanepi, Vekic, Martic, Babos and Jorovic withdrew late)

And suddenly Croatia is even in danger to get relegated

GB has a walking bye into World Group 2 play-offs
This could not be any easier for GB to advance
Is Kontaveit out as well now? On current form, she should beat Konta and/or Watson so I assume she is out if it couldn't be 'any easier' for GB?
Paullow is offline  
post #23 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
rucolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45,199
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullow View Post
Is Kontaveit out as well now? On current form, she should beat Konta and/or Watson so I assume she is out if it couldn't be 'any easier' for GB?
No, but the other 2 rubbers vs Estonia are walking byes for GB !

Really a cakewalk draw for GB. Sooo many withdrawals. Can't get more lucky

Serena: "We have great personalities like Jelena (Jankovic) on the tour."
Jelena: "If I had to pick someone after me, I'd pick Serena."


Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki P. Kvitova
N. Petrova A. Chakvetadze A. Myskina L. Davenport M. Hingis
A. Kournikova T. Paszek K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova
GNTM 2018
rucolo is offline  
post #24 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Haihui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,948
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
Kanepi will not play.
Reason?
Haihui is offline  
post #25 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,956
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
No, but the other 2 rubbers vs Estonia are walking byes for GB !

Really a cakewalk draw for GB. Sooo many withdrawals. Can't get more lucky
I disagree. Obviously it's a massive bonus for GB but it is still being held in Estonia and they still have Kontaveit. Less than 5 weeks ago Kontaveit beat Watson 3 and 0 and we obviously saw Konta lose to an ITF player ranked outside the top 100 recently so it's not a foregone conclusion at all. I'd fancy Kontaveit to win her rubber whoever it was against and then it will come down to the doubles rubber. Anna Smith and Katie Boulter aren't exactly a formidable opposition.

As a neutral, you want to see the best players playing, but at the same time, I genuinely think it's gone from a 70/30 tie in Estonia's favour (with Kanepi) to a 60/40 in GBs favour (without her), so the tie is actually closer now that Kanepi is out, but has just swung the other way.

We will obviously see what happens.
Paullow is offline  
post #26 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,956
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haihui View Post
Reason?
Virus apparently. Not sure if it is confirmed but saw that doing the rounds on Twitter.
Haihui likes this.
Paullow is offline  
post #27 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Meelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 78,153
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haihui View Post
Reason?
She has been sick since Australia.
Haihui likes this.
Meelis is offline  
post #28 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,956
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

You've got to feel for Kaia mind, it's just constant illness or injury and she can never seem to get a good run of games under her belt. Obviously this won't affect her ranking but it will be frustrating for her nonetheless.
Paullow is offline  
post #29 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
 
Jorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 175,813
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Team Sweden:


Please visit my Caroline website.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Jorn is offline  
post #30 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
pesto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,129
                     
Re: 2018 Europe/Africa Zone Group I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullow View Post
I disagree. Obviously it's a massive bonus for GB but it is still being held in Estonia and they still have Kontaveit. Less than 5 weeks ago Kontaveit beat Watson 3 and 0 and we obviously saw Konta lose to an ITF player ranked outside the top 100 recently so it's not a foregone conclusion at all. I'd fancy Kontaveit to win her rubber whoever it was against and then it will come down to the doubles rubber. Anna Smith and Katie Boulter aren't exactly a formidable opposition.

As a neutral, you want to see the best players playing, but at the same time, I genuinely think it's gone from a 70/30 tie in Estonia's favour (with Kanepi) to a 60/40 in GBs favour (without her), so the tie is actually closer now that Kanepi is out, but has just swung the other way.

We will obviously see what happens.
I agree - I haven't really got much of an idea of % chance, but it's no walkover.

I'd rather a full rosta of healthy players, regardless of the effect on GB's chances. It's best for the competition as a whole if the strongest nations are in the WG.

But if Kontaveit is playing, with home advantage, this group is not a foregone conclusion. Joss Rae retired recently, we're not taking Laura because she's shit, and Anna and Katie haven't played together before. Jo and Hev are both in and out, form-wise.

It'd be very surprising if Portugal won the group, of course.
pesto is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome