Five UVa women's tennis players suspended - TennisForum.com
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,689
 
Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalie...ae6b187b7.html

Not that fresh news, but I only just saw zootennis's tweet.

It's that man again.
otary is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,689
 
otary is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
tucker1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 24,375
                     
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

"Guilbeau said the suspensions were the result of team rules violations. He said the players will remain suspended until he elects to reinstate them."

What a joke. I have heard from so many people that he is an absolute nightmare.
tucker1989 is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2016, 02:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
 
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
"Guilbeau said the suspensions were the result of team rules violations. He said the players will remain suspended until he elects to reinstate them."

What a joke. I have heard from so many people that he is an absolute nightmare.
Now let me see if I got this right. The guy secures the girls rooms at the Boars Head, so that they can stay safe and don't have to go out in the face of a blizzard and he's a nightmare? Seems more like a coach who cares about his players to me.

The story I read said that they went AWOL! If that's true and I believe it is, they should be suspended!
TennisSee is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2016, 02:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
 
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Here's the article I was referring too

Five UVa women's tennis players suspended - Cavalier Insider - The Daily Progress
TennisSee is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2016, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
tucker1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 24,375
                     
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisSee View Post
Where does this article say anything about them staying there for safety or going AWOL? It says that they were seen having a snowball fight at the Corner, which is essentially student central in downtown Charlottesville. That's not exactly drinking or partying.

There are plenty of stories about Guilbeau being a crazy control freak if you ask around, and this sounds like another one to add to the list.
tucker1989 is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2016, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 280
                     
Can you share some of these stories about the coach?
10sE is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 11:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
 
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Everyone has stories.... some more true than others. I too have stories about Coach Guilbeau. He is a tough coach with a attitude to match. As a parent of a college tennis player, I respect that. Coach Guilbeau develops players into winners. Student-athletes have a lot of pressure on them as do those that guide them to be successful in their sport and in life. The combination of Troy and Mark is a winning combination on and off the court. The balance they present creates an environment of excellence.

Sacrificing an opportunity to win against SC is a way to teach life long lessons to young ladies that may have not made the best decision in this circumstance. And just maybe because their coach had the guts to do the right thing, they and others that hear about it, may make better decisions in the future.

It is rare that the right decision is the easy decision. But, when your heart and your head are in the same place, you make decisions for the right reasons.

I choose to look at the positives in this program, in this coach and in these amazing young ladies.
hooatthebeach is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 12:09 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
 
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
"Guilbeau said the suspensions were the result of team rules violations. He said the players will remain suspended until he elects to reinstate them."

What a joke. I have heard from so many people that he is an absolute nightmare.


You have "heard" from so many people. That sounds like you do not have first hand knowledge of this coach. If you did, you would be able to form your own opinion, and then be in a better position to make online comments such as this one.

I "know" that he is like a tough parent that is trying to raise a child to be successful in life. You may not appreciate all of his decisions and choices, you may not like all of his decisions and choices, but when you look back on it you know they came from the right place and you are better because of those decisions and choices.

I "know" that he is respected by many parents and players but not all.

Last edited by hooatthebeach; Feb 3rd, 2016 at 12:26 AM.
hooatthebeach is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 12:25 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
 
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Where does this article say anything about them staying there for safety or going AWOL? It says that they were seen having a snowball fight at the Corner, which is essentially student central in downtown Charlottesville. That's not exactly drinking or partying.

There are plenty of stories about Guilbeau being a crazy control freak if you ask around, and this sounds like another one to add to the list.

The article doesn't contain all of the facts and shame on you for not realizing that there must be more to the story. It is not even logical that he would suspend half of the team for having a snowball fight.

Having control and being a control freak are two different things.

It's not wrong that a coach looks out for the safety of his players and then disciplines them when they break team rules. In fact, it is expected.

Having gone to UVa, I know that the snowball fight on the lawn was within walking distance of the dorms and most apartments surrounding the grounds. Most of the students could get there by foot without risk. I would have been there! However, it is not within walking distance of the Boar's Head where these players were staying.

The team had just won a match and punched their ticket to the National Team Indoors. They were within miles of where they lived. Why would they need to stay overnight? Maybe because it was during the Blizzard of 2016... A State of Emergency and Blizzard Warning was in effect for Charlottesville.

Think about it and then judge for yourself if the article contained all of the facts.

Think about if you would want your daughter on the streets. Walking to the lawn is one thing. Driving to it when your coaches thought you were safe in a hotel is another thing.
hooatthebeach is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 04:08 AM
Senior Member
 
gouci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,111
                     
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Where does this article say anything about them staying there for safety or going AWOL? It says that they were seen having a snowball fight at the Corner, which is essentially student central in downtown Charlottesville. That's not exactly drinking or partying.

There are plenty of stories about Guilbeau being a crazy control freak if you ask around, and this sounds like another one to add to the list.
Oh yeah it takes a juicy story like this to get me back here on this board!

Last edited by gouci; Feb 3rd, 2016 at 05:15 AM.
gouci is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 04:45 AM
Senior Member
 
tucker1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 24,375
                     
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

Haha wow. You really think I'm some sort of fool, don't you? I wouldn't come on here and make things up. I am friends with several former players, and I agree with your point that "he is respected by many parents and players but not all."

I would not come on here and say something like that unless I had heard it directly from people who had experience with him. I do think that he can be an excellent coach for the right type of girl, especially from a pure tennis perspective, but if you look at his record of player attrition, just to start, it's clear that he has a very divisive style.

I also have many family members who live in Charlottesville and have spent a significant amount of time there. I'm not just putting together stuff I read online.

I completely respect your opinion, and you make many valid points, but please don't act like I am some crazy person posting BS, because that is not my style at all. The point of a forum is that people can share their opinions, which I have done based on facts and stories that I have heard DIRECTLY from people who have played for and interacted with Coach Guilbeau. Your first post is very fair, but the other two paint me as some sort of hack, and I find that offensive.
tucker1989 is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
gouci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,111
                     
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

It's obvious this Virginia coach has extreme OCD. All crazy control freaks do and that's why it's really not worth defending them.

There is a mechanism in our brains that assigns a level of importance to everything. For people with extreme OCD this mechanism is kinda thrown out of whack. For example if you came across a $100 bill on the ground you would keep it because your brain tells you it's important. If you came across a napkin on the ground you wouldn't keep it because your brain tells you it's not important. Now imagine if you were transported to an alien planet. How would you tell if something was important or trash? You couldn't and would probably treat everything as very important. People with extreme OCD can't differential between a "no big deal" and a "big deal" so they treat everything as a big deal.

Now it's not the Virginia coaches fault that he was born with extreme OCD. But it's his responsibility to realize that his extreme OCD is impairing his judgement on certain things.

Have you ever seen a show called Extreme Cheapskates? It's interesting to see all the infinite ways extreme OCD can manifest itself.


Last edited by gouci; Feb 3rd, 2016 at 02:04 PM.
gouci is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Rodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,669
                     
Re: Five UVa women's tennis players suspended

hooatthebeach joined to make those post, so i think either he is the coach or he/she is in love with him
Rodzilla is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
gouci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,111
                     
tennis drama

Now that women's volleyball drama is over women's tennis drama is just heating up.

I love it!




.

Last edited by gouci; Feb 3rd, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
gouci is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome