Ciney Exhibition Report! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #1
country flag Lapin

Lapin has disabled reputation
Smile Ciney Exhibition Report!

Saturday at Ciney!:

The Opening Ceremony began with the lights being lowered and each of the players came in behind someone carrying a large flag from their country, and were introduced to the crowd. Maria was first, Amélie and Nathalie came in together and finally, to a huge roar of approval, Justine! I was relieved to see lots of people with cameras; the tickets had that 'it was forbidden to bring cameras or appareil photos', printed on them! As a result, I had almost not taken my camera! Sadly, as I hadn't thought I would need it, I hadn't taken my camera battery charger, and it ran out before the closing ceremony on Sunday! ) Anyway, back to the opening ceremony..... Various other speeches were made and then the raffle was announced, 5euros for a ticket to win one of four racquets, signed and donated by the players. Each presented their racquet individually to a lady, (maybe from L’Arche Bleue?, which is the childrens charity that the event supports.) Then each of the players were presented with a bouquet of flowers. The first match was then announced, and everyone left the court except Justine and Nathalie, and the umpire, line judges and ball kids of course!

It was good to see that Nathalie didn’t appear at all troubled by her wrist, and she won the first set 6/3! (I’m guessing that the injury was to her left wrist, as she was wearing a support on it). Justine’s serve was very good and several times during the match, when it was called a ‘fault’, Nathalie gave it to Justine as an ‘Ace’ and walked to the other side of the court, which was acknowledged by Justine. The match was played in good spirit and both girls appeared to enjoy themselves. There was a group of Belgians in the crowd, with individual letters printed on t’shirts, for 'www.henin-hardenne.be' (I think I’ve got the website address correct?!) And every few games they all did a ‘mexican wave’ and shouted ‘Hurray!’, but the only person who looked up at them, (and smiled in amusement), was Nathalie!! Justine won the second set 6/3, and the final set 6/4. Then a huge rush began for autographs, an enormous crowd for Justine, and a lot of people wanting Nathalie’s autograph too. Justine couldn’t sign all the autographs that people wanted, and eventually she and Nathalie left the court. The signage and barrier behind Justine’s chair had been completely wrecked by the autograph hunters, and some hurried repairs had to be carried out by officials!

Although the Opening Ceremony had started late, by the time the time Justine and Nathalie left the court at 8.30pm, everything was back on schedule; Amélie and Maria were due to play at 8.45pm. I’m not sure why but there was then a huge delay! They played the entire ‘Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain’ CD, (not that I minded, because I like it! ) After that, they played even more music to fill in the time! I think all the Siemens Corporate Hospitality guests had gone off to the bar; maybe they were waiting for them to come back! After a while, Maria came on court dressed in a tracksuit, and did a stretching and exercise routine with her coach; it was clear that she was taking even an exhibition event, very seriously!! Then she left the court again. They kept announcing the match would begin soon, but instead of coming on court at 8.45pm, Amélie and Maria eventually came on court at 9.45pm (), and their match didn’t start until about 10pm! Maria won the toss, elected to serve, and began the match like a whirlwind! It was a bit alarming to see her race into a 5/0 lead, she was completely dominating the match with great serving and amazingly deep, hard hit, flat shots! Amélie couldn’t get in to the net because Maria was keeping her well behind the baseline, and she was struggling to get into her rhythm on her shots . The majority of the crowd supported Amélie, (including the Justine supporters behind us), but there were also people calling out for Maria too. Eventually, at 0/5, Amélie won her first game, the crowd cheered and Amélie raised her arms in the air and everyone laughed . But in the next game Maria served out the first set to win it 6/1.

In the second set Maria made a few more errors and Amélie played much better hitting some great shots, especially backhands, and took the set 6/1 . What I hadn’t realised until then, was because of all the delay before the match, they had decided that if the match went to a third set, this would be just a tie-breaker to decide the result. Unfortunately, Amélie mis-hit a shot which gave Maria a mini-break towards the end of the tie-break, and Maria took it 7/5 . There was then another huge rush for autographs, me included this time! I managed to get to the front fairly quickly, and am now the proud possessor of Amélie’s autograph! Amélie signed some tennis balls and hit them into the crowd, threw her towel into the crowd too, and waved as she left the court.

Personally, I think Maria’s going to be a force to be reckoned with! She plays very like Lindsay, great hard hit flat serves and deep groundshots, giving the other player very little time. But I think that there was also a good chance that Amélie would have won the third set, if they had played one, instead of just a tie-break!! Anyway, Amélie didn’t look too upset and was smiling as she walked to the umpire’s chair after shaking Maria’s hand.

(Sunday report and photos to follow......)

Last edited by Lapin : Dec 24th, 2003 at 12:54 PM.
Lapin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #2
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the great report

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

ghosts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Sonja
Momomental

Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your report Lapin. Glad you enjoyed yourself, scored Amélie's autograph, and grabbed some photos!!
Amélie Mauresmo, 2009 GDF Suez, 2007 Proximus Diamond Games, 2006 World No. 1 ,Wimbledon Champion, Proximus Diamond Games, Gaz, Australian Open, 2005 YEC, Advanta Chamionships, Italian Open, Proximus Diamond Games, 2004 World No. 1, Advanta Championships, Generali Linz, Rogers Cup, Italian Open, German Open, 2003 J&S Cup, Advanta Championships, 2002 Rogers AT&T Cup, Dubai Open, 2001 Gaz, Nice, Amelia Island, and Eurocard Ladies German Open, 2000 Adidas International, and 1999 Bratislava Champion

There's a fine line between love and hate; that line is called family!

No one does things exactly the way I want them to. No one ever has. It’s a problem they have!

AZARENKA!
Sonja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #4
country flag Linnie
drinking

Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Lapin!!

Linnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #5
country flag Lapin

Smile

Thanks folks! Here's Sunday's report

On Sunday the matches started at 2.00pm, and Amélie and Nathalie were due on court first . We were sitting further back than on Saturday, but as my seat was next to the aisle, it wasn't too difficult to go down to the front to take some photos during the warm-up! This time the match started punctually as RBTF were doing ‘live’ coverage, and there was also the benefit of seeing the T.V. coverage, including replays, on a large screen at the side of the court! Amélie seemed more relaxed playing against Nathalie than she had against Maria, and was playing really well and going for her shots! There were some great rallies but it seemed from the beginning that there would only be one winner, (not that I was complaining! ) Nathalie played well but even though the scoreline was close, Amélie was in control of the match. There were quite a few good rallies and during one in which Nathalie hit an un-returnable shot, Amélie threw her racquet across the court at the ball in mock desperation, which amused everyone! Amélie had to save a couple of break points in the final game of the match but it was over too quickly, 6/3, 6/4 to Amélie! (I would liked to have seen a third set, with Amélie winning of course! ) The players then went to sign autographs again and sign tennis balls for the crowd. Amélie must have been asked if she would kick the balls into the stands, and did so very accurately; then they asked Nathalie if she would like to do the same, but she decided to throw hers! Amélie and Nathalie then collected their bags, signed a few more autographs at the other side of the court and left. There was then a gap of about half an hour, during which time RBTF showed some of the match again of the large T.V. screens!

A short while later Justine and Maria arrived on court and there was an air of anticipation in the Belgian crowd; the 'Henin-Hardenne.be' fan club were sitting just in front of us this time, and had dressed in their t’shirts again, ready for the anticipated festivities! Amélie and Nathalie arrived back at the corner of the court and were being interviewed for T.V. during the warm-up!

I don’t think anyone had imagined that Maria would come out and win the first set 6/1 against Justine, but she did!! There were a few ‘mexican waves’ from the fan club trying to encourage Justine, but generally the crowd was, unsurprisingly, rather quiet. ‘Everyone’ was hoping that Justine would turn it around in the second set, but Maria broke for a 1/0 lead and then, after six deuces, held for 2/0! The standard of tennis was excellent, superb rallies, Maria hitting hard and flat and Justine scrambling all over the court trying to keep pace, and coming up with some counterpunches of her own! Maria was serving really well again, whilst Justine was struggling with her serve on Sunday. Maria was 6/1, 5/3 up when Justine held serve, and at last managed to break Maria’s serve for 5/5! The second set went to a tie-break, with Justine saving about three match points before winning it 14/12!

Both girls were really giving it their all and the crowd was totally into the match. I had thought that Maria was the ‘real-deal’ when I saw her at Wimby last year, but by now I was convinced of it! Her game is so like Lindsay’s, and she’s incredibly intense about her tennis! (Apparently she requested that the tournament organise a ‘sparring-partner’ for her, and had been at Ciney practicing since Thursday!)

Justine was determined to win, after all, 99.9% of the public had come to see her do just that; whilst Maria was equally determined to score a surprise victory over the world number one! It made for a fabulous tennis match! The third set was equally as close as the second, with Justine saving several match points at 4/5 down, and the match again headed into a tie-break. The final tie-break was shorter but no less hard fought! Justine just wasn’t going to allow Maria to win, and eventually closed out the match 7/5 on her second match point! The crowd went mad, probably with a mixture of happiness and relief , and there was another huge stampede for autographs! However, Maria wasn’t going to be signing autographs for anyone; as soon as she had shaken Justine’s hand, she grabbed her things, leaving the two tennis balls she would usually have signed and hit into the crowd on her chair, and departed rapidly from the court! RBTF had overrun their schedule and the programme was finished hurridly, with an apology to the viewers that they didn’t have time to show the presentation ceremony!

I went down to the side of the court again, (cursing the fact that my camera battery had now run out! Sorry folks, hopefully I’ll be better organised next time! ) Within five minutes the lights were lowered and the presentation ceremony began just as the opening ceremony had, with the players coming in behind their national flag; the only thing was, the Russian flag was there, but Maria wasn’t! At first I thought maybe she was there, because there were a lot of people on court for the ceremony, and I couldn’t actually see all the players at the same time. But no, she wasn’t; and I could see Amélie and Nathalie talking to each other, perhaps about Maria’s absence? Justine then joined Amélie and Nathalie and I could see Amélie smiling and congratulating Justine on her win! (I couldn’t see Nathalie at this point, but I’m sure she congratulated Justine too, most especially as in a Belgian newspaper interview, Justine said Nathalie was her best friend on the tour! She was at her wedding and they had spoken regularly during Nathalie’s convalescence from her wrist injury).

A few worried signals were being exchanged between some of the officials, who were obviously a little unsure as to whether to continue without Maria. I was surprised that she wasn’t there, but just kept thinking she’d turn up in a minute; but she didn’t! It was decided to continue with the ceremony. The ‘results’ were announced and Nathalie was ‘interviewed’ first, presented with a trophy which was copy of something, (sorry, I can't tell you what!) from the Louvre, and congratulated on her engagement. After that, and my French is not good, so the following is a rough idea of what was said…!!, she was asked if her fiancé was in the crowd, and she said ‘yes’ and was asked to point out whereabouts he was sitting. Then she was asked how she had come to Ciney, by car? ‘Yes, she had come by car.’ Then they said they had a surprise present for her, and someone brought in a bicycle, which they gave to Nathalie!! (Is there a French tradition that you give a bicycle when someone gets engaged or married??) Anyway, Nathalie was a really good sport; she was asked to do a ‘lap d’honneur’, and got onto the bicycle, rode it around the court, whilst waving to the crowd!! Everyone laughed! Then Amélie was congratulated and presented with her trophy and they chatted to her a bit. I couldn’t understand all of it, I think it was mainly about her liking for wine! There were four huge bottles of champagne for the players, and I think they asked her if she liked champagne aswell as red wine. Then they asked her if she liked ‘Ciney Beer’, and she said, ‘Yes she liked it… but she preferred red wine!!’ , and people laughed! Then finally Justine was congratulated, not just on winning the ‘tournament’ but also on her fabulous year and getting to number one! They presented her with a full size tennis racquet, which I think was made of Belgian chocolate, and had a number ‘1’ on the strings, and also a huge cake! (If I remember correctly, it was suggested that she share it with her ‘copines’ Amélie, Nathalie and Maria, and then a joke was made to correct the ‘error’, as Maria wasn’t actually there to share it! )

Next was the ‘Hommage to Justine’. Amélie went and stood to the left of Justine, so that she and Nathalie were standing either side of Justine to watch the ‘hommage’ on one of the large screens. Some famous Belgian people sent congratulation messages to Justine, and they re-showed a short clip of her winning Roland Garros and with the trophy; and her falling to her knees in New York, when she won the U S Open! Christian Bîmes, the president of the French Tennis Federation, sent a message, and lastly Michel Druker, the host of the French T.V. programme ‘Vivement Dimanche’ congratulated her and said he had a surprise for her. He asked her would she like to come on his ‘chat show’, next year just before Roland Garros, perhaps with Amélie?! ( ) He said he had an invitation for her, and held it up to the camera, and said he hoped she would call him on the number on the invitation. After the ‘hommage’ someone brought in invitation in and presented it to Justine, and she was also presented with a Phillipe Geluck drawing. That was the end of the ceremony and gradually everyone left the court, including Nathalie, riding her bicycle!!

It was a great two days tennis but just a little sad, especially for the organisers I think, that Maria didn’t take part in the presentation ceremony. In the Belgian paper the next day it said: ‘Déterminée, Sharapova a d'ailleurs mis du temps à digérer ce revers puisqu'elle a quitté les lieux dès sa défaite, refusant d'assister à la cérémony de clôture et d'accorder la moindre déclaration à la presse. Sacré caractère…..’ that she spent time digesting the ‘reversal’ in the match of her defeat, refusing to attend to closing ceremony or to say anything to the press.

Photo's to follow......
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #6
country flag Linnie
drinking

Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute Linnie has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again!

Linnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #7
country flag Lady

Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute
Great report!! Thank you!!

The real LADY of the Justine Philistines' Society™
Lady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #8
mom3

mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point mom3 is an unknown quantity at this point
it is as I was there
thanks great report
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #9
jujufan

jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough
It was good to see that Nathalie didn’t appear at all troubled by her wrist, and she won the first set 6/3! (I’m guessing that the injury was to her left wrist, as she was wearing a support on it). Justine’s serve was very good and several times during the match, when it was called a ‘fault’, Nathalie gave it to Justine as an ‘Ace’ and walked to the other side of the court, which was acknowledged by Justine. The match was played in good spirit and both girls appeared to enjoy themselves. There was a group of Belgians in the crowd, with individual letters printed on t’shirts, for 'www.henin-hardenne.be' (I think I’ve got the website address correct?!) And every few games they all did a ‘mexican wave’ and shouted ‘Hurray!’, but the only person who looked up at them, (and smiled in amusement),

Yep I know that group, i'm one of them! but I didn't wear a t-shirt.
Also amélie noticed us during the openings ceremonie. Nathalie and Amélie were amused by seeing us
I think Justine was too focused ...
My impression of the tournement is that justine, amélie and nathalie are great friends, they often laughed together and had lots of fun.
And the three of them are very friendly, nice and cool. Maria sharapova couldn't laugh ... she never smiled or almost never.
I'm a huge flemmish fan of justine but those two french girls have gained a fan!
I'm a fan and proud of it!
jujufan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #10
jujufan

jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough jujufan is a jewel in the rough
do you guys want some pix? I think so yeah!
sorry for the quality

Here they are ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000297.JPG (38.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IM000303.JPG (41.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IM000312.JPG (49.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IM000235.JPG (45.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IM000230.JPG (86.1 KB, 89 views)
I'm a fan and proud of it!
jujufan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #11
country flag Elisse

Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Thanks for the fantastic reports, Lapin!!!
I always love to read about everyone's experiences at different tournies they attend, I think it's the second best thing to actually being there yourself!!!
Still can't quite believe that Maria would be so stupid to not attend the presentation ceremony though - it's one thing being determined to win, getting angry and showing off a bit when you lose at a Slam, but to act like that at an Exhibition match is pretty pathetic and isn't really in the spirit of the whole thing!
Well, I really liked Maria when I saw her at Wimbledon too! She has such fire and hunger to win, I'm sure that 2004 will be a great year for her!!! - I just hope that she will learn that this is not the way to make friends on tour and gain respect from the fans!

@ Maria

Thanks for sharing your great pics with us, jujufan!!!
Elisse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #12
country flag Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujufan
Yep I know that group, i'm one of them! but I didn't wear a t-shirt.
Also amélie noticed us during the openings ceremonie. Nathalie and Amélie were amused by seeing us
I think Justine was too focused ...
My impression of the tournement is that justine, amélie and nathalie are great friends, they often laughed together and had lots of fun.
And the three of them are very friendly, nice and cool. Maria sharapova couldn't laugh ... she never smiled or almost never.
I'm a huge flemmish fan of justine but those two french girls have gained a fan!
Oh, I noticed Amélie and Nathalie looking over and laughing during the opening ceremony, I have a photo of them looking over actually, but I didn't know at the time what they were looking at!!

Thanks for your photos, I'll try to post mine either later today or tomorrow!
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #13
country flag Lapin

Saturday photos....., sorry some are not that good, (there were more, but they were worse!!) This was the first time I had used my camera indoors and I had a few 'technical problems'

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #14
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the pics lapin - not long till her Australian Open Title

*crosses fingers and toes and knocks on wood*
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:38 AM   #15
VeraNuVirgosFan

VeraNuVirgosFan has disabled reputation
Thanks a lot, Lapin, for your very informative and detailed reports on the exhibition event.

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра
Vera – You are my #1!! Я тебя так благодарна!!

* Maша Sharapova * Nicole V * Venus * Лена Dementieva * K-Lina Šprem *
VeraNuVirgosFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote