Tennis Forum banner

Who hates Wimbeldon?

2K views 91 replies 32 participants last post by  bandabou 
#1 ·
Does anyone really know what the fuss about this crappy tournament is? I mean how can people actually enjoy seeing power always winning over ability. If your not built big what chance have u got? Tennis should be based on skill and finesse not how much power someone has. Do not get me started on mens tennis, where if u havent got a big serve u have had it.(Thank god for Hewitt and Agassi) Wimbeldon is the crappest and most boring grand slam in the world. Anyone agree.

#4 ·
I used to not like Wimbledon because it meant guaranteed ticket inspectors at the station (not that I ever fare dodged :angel:, it's just that they slow you down running for a train). Since they put up the ticket barriers I've gotten used to it.

Now I just have issues with it because of Tim Henman's overcoverage and because the tournament seems to have an overinflated opinion of itself.

Equal prize money and an early exit for Tim and it would be so :hearts:.

#5 ·
Crazy_Fool said:
Does anyone really know what the fuss about this crappy tournament is? I mean how can people actually enjoy seeing power always winning over ability. If your not built big what chance have u got? Tennis should be based on skill and finesse not how much power someone has. Do not get me started on mens tennis, where if u havent got a big serve u have had it.(Thank god for Hewitt and Agassi) Wimbeldon is the crappest and most boring grand slam in the world. Anyone agree.
Obviously you don't know tradition!

#8 ·
Wimbledon is tradition..it is great. Grass-tennis is the best tennis, too bad there ain´t many grass-tournaments anymore. I like the fast-pace of it. Of course sometimes big-servers may tend to dominate....but when you see players like Sampras and Federer( only for one year, but I think there´s more to come from him) dominate there, can´t be that bad.

#9 ·
Yes Banana or whatever, i am just expressing my opinion. Who cares about tradition?

Kart said:
Equal prize money and an early exit for Tim and it would be so :hearts:.
God the coverage on Henman is bloody awful, too bad he bottles it every single yr. Same about Rudeski(The great brit) but he hardly ever gets into the 2nd week. Wimbedlon in like a nightmare. Did u know that the ball is in play an average of 4 minutes of every hr at Wimbeldon while 13 minutes of ever hr at Roland Garos. Serve and power aint dominating there, thats where u can see true talent.

#10 ·
Roland Garros and talent?! That´s more a test of who´s more aptitude for the marathon. You wanna tell me players like Bruguerra, Andres Gomez, et al are more talented than Sampras just because he never won Roland Garros?! Pl-uhze!!

#11 ·
I guess my response would be who has time to waste on hate? If you don't like it- don't watch it. I don't much care for the current state of the game of tennis, and how it has changed from the days when you would see ralleys on grass in men's tennis. I have learned I can't change this, and I actually enjoy watching how different styles of play work out on all the different surfaces. The French Open is terrific for this- and I think most interesting when you see a natural serve-and-volleyer like Henman or Rafter play on red clay. They aren't too bad on it, and actually have quite a few nice wins over confirmed dirtballers.

Celebrate all the surfaces- it's one of the last remaining spices left in the game of tennis!

Reactions: 7~ŒLêV3ñ½
#12 ·
I dont know ive never heard of them. But Sampras was just way too reliant on his serve to win Roland Garos. I'm telling you its such a pleasure to see the likes of Rudeski, Philliposuis et al get knocked out early at RG with their one dimensional games. An example of power winning over talent at Wimbeldon - Agassi v Philliposuis this yr - now we all know who has way more talent but the important thing is - who can serve 50 aces. With women its like if you aint built big what chance do u have.

#13 ·
bandabou said:
Roland Garros and talent?! That´s more a test of who´s more aptitude for the marathon. You wanna tell me players like Bruguerra, Andres Gomez, et al are more talented than Sampras just because he never won Roland Garros?! Pl-uhze!!
Sergi Bruguera :worship:, he could have been even better if he had believed he could play on surfaces other than clay :(.

#14 ·
Crazy_Fool said:
I dont know ive never heard of them. But Sampras was just way too reliant on his serve to win Roland Garos. I'm telling you its such a pleasure to see the likes of Rudeski, Philliposuis et al get knocked out early at RG with their one dimensional games. An example of power winning over talent at Wimbeldon - Agassi v Philliposuis this yr - now we all know who has way more talent but the important thing is - who can serve 50 aces. With women its like if you aint built big what chance do u have.
See that´s the point...you even DON´T KNOW who Bruguera and Gomezis, but based on your thesis they were UBER-talented...they did win Roland Garros, the ultimate talent-test afterall.

I think this is more a case of you hating to see your fav losing.

#15 ·
bandabou said:
See that´s the point...you even DON´T KNOW who Bruguera and Gomezis, but based on your thesis they were UBER-talented...they did win Roland Garros, the ultimate talent-test afterall.

I think this is more a case of you hating to see your fav losing.
Really?! My favourite player is Lletyon Hewitt ok? He's one Wimbeldon so thats not my point. You're not gonna tell me that in the Serena is THAT much better than Henin when she beat her this yr. Cos she beat her by overpowering her, not better tennis. Why cant these type of players cut it on clay - cos its a slower surface which requires u to have more skill and power is much less important.

#18 ·
Crazy_Fool said:
Really?! My favourite player is Lletyon Hewitt ok? He's one Wimbeldon so thats not my point. You're not gonna tell me that in the Serena is THAT much better than Henin when she beat her this yr. Cos she beat her by overpowering her, not better tennis. Why cant these type of players cut it on clay - cos its a slower surface which requires u to have more skill and power is much less important.
ooh,ooh....Lleyton isn´t talented! I knew it....put him on clay and he´s worthless! What´s his best showing again at RG?! A measly qrtr TWO!! years ago!!

Excuse me that I´ve to correct you. But Serena AND Venus too for that matter, have more clay-titles than your beloved Lleyton.

Is it me or haven´t they meet at the RG final last year?! So your theory doesn´t cut it, pal. Sorry.

#19 ·
Its all about this yr though isnt it. No Llyeton isnt as talented as some of the others on tour like Ferrero, Agassi, Federer. Doesnt mean i dont support him. See the Williams won where there was no-one more skillful around, now Henin has arrived they aint gonna win RG again.

#21 ·
Crazy_Fool said:
tennis should be the best showing how good they are.

Pete, Andre, Lleyton, Venus, Serena, Martina H, Lindsay Graf, of the more recent times Becker, Borg, Navratilova, King etc the list could go on.....only a handful of the GREAT players haven't done well at Wimbledon.

if you wanna see back and forth tennis, i suggest you watch the women at Roland Garros.

#22 ·
obviously he's never been to Wimbledon

#24 ·
Crazy_Fool said:
Its all about this yr though isnt it. No Llyeton isnt as talented as some of the others on tour like Ferrero, Agassi, Federer. Doesnt mean i dont support him. See the Williams won where there was no-one more skillful around, now Henin has arrived they aint gonna win RG again.
Really?! BOTH Williamses have beaten Justine on clay. In fact Venus actually LEADS Justine on clay and Serena is only matter of time for her to do it again, because their matches have only been decided by a couple of points here or there in three-sets...7-6 7-5 in the third, so it ain´t like Justine is THAT more talented than Serena, even on clay!

Last year Justine was there btw, but you want me to tell you a story?! She lost to a girl named Kapros ranked no.230 or something, who has NO serve whatsoever and who hasn´t done anything since, she almost got BAGELED or did she get bageled?! :scratch:

So don´t come with the Justine has arrived stuff. She was always there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.