My Aces, My Faults - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:29 PM   #1
seldom83

seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post My Aces, My Faults

If anyone has this book written by Bolletierri, please let me know as soon as possible. I have an urgent question.
Thank you.
seldom83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:11 PM   #2
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future
I have this book. What do you want to know?
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:10 PM   #3
hey_britney

hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, Nick did leave all his wives for tennis.
hey_britney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:21 PM   #4
seldom83

seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point seldom83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ
I have this book. What do you want to know?
I am writing an article on Kournikova and at some point in the book Bolletieri says on Anna:

She was a dazzling little girl, bubbling with enthusiasm. When she was ten years old, she hit with Pete Sampras on our red clay court. "I was hitting him always drop shots," she says, "and I remember him yelling and saying 'You're beating me with drop shots!' I remember that." Anna also hit with Andre. "I felt more comfortable with Sampras," she recalls. Anna was pampered, placed on a pedastal, hailed as the next Seles, and as she entered her teens, she thought she was Queen Tut. She was rude, conceited; in other words, she was a teenager. I began to suspect that, even though I believed Anna had superior tennis talent, she would be surpassed by Venus Williams or Martina Hingis... Right now [1996], if I had to choose among Hingis, Williams, and Anna, I would certainly lean towards Anna... Anna, with considerable help from her mother, Alla, has survived a couple of tough years and begun to grow on court and off. Her self-confidence is, to say the least, considerable.

If you could tell me what page that is on, and also if that is all he says about Anna I would be very thankful.

Thanks
seldom83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:25 PM   #5
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future MisterQ has a brilliant future
That quote is on pages 325-326. There are some parts left out, but your ellipses (...) correctly indicate that.

He says a little more about Anna, but your quote really gets the gist of it.

Last edited by MisterQ : Nov 23rd, 2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:25 PM   #6
hey_britney

hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldom83
I am writing an article on Kournikova and at some point in the book Bolletieri says on Anna:

She was a dazzling little girl, bubbling with enthusiasm. When she was ten years old, she hit with Pete Sampras on our red clay court. "I was hitting him always drop shots," she says, "and I remember him yelling and saying 'You're beating me with drop shots!' I remember that." Anna also hit with Andre. "I felt more comfortable with Sampras," she recalls. Anna was pampered, placed on a pedastal, hailed as the next Seles, and as she entered her teens, she thought she was Queen Tut. She was rude, conceited; in other words, she was a teenager. I began to suspect that, even though I believed Anna had superior tennis talent, she would be surpassed by Venus Williams or Martina Hingis... Right now [1996], if I had to choose among Hingis, Williams, and Anna, I would certainly lean towards Anna... Anna, with considerable help from her mother, Alla, has survived a couple of tough years and begun to grow on court and off. Her self-confidence is, to say the least, considerable.

If you could tell me what page that is on, and also if that is all he says about Anna I would be very thankful.

Thanks
Can't help ya. I've tried to excise whatever was about Anna from my brain.
hey_britney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:34 PM   #7
country flag MisterQ

Also on page 326, after the excerpt you quoted, it says:

Asked if she was getting too much attention after the Orange Bowl, Anna responded, "I've deserved every bit of it. I earned the attention with my results. And I've worked hard. I certainly haven't gotten the attention that some players we know have. I watched Serena and Venus Williams play and they're not that good. They've been given more attention than me, and they haven't even played in tournaments. They don't know how to play points or how to win. I've put myself on the line. It's not easy to be the No. 1 seed every week with everyone trying to beat you. I've absolutely earned it all."

Then she punctuated her remarks. "To play pro tennis and be No. 1 has always been my dream and one I will not let go no matter what," she said.

Charlie Pasarell, my old friend from Puerto Rico, saw Anna and said, "With her looks, her personality, her talent, she could be bigger than Agassi, bigger than Seles." That's big. I'd love to see that. I'd love to be a part of it.

"Sometime's Nick's like a doctor to me. When I'm like sick on the court, when I don't have a good shot, he stays for one minute, watches, then tells me what to do, and I feel like perfect, like I went to the doctor. Unbelievable!" ---Anna Kournikova
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #8
miranda_lou

miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of miranda_lou has much to be proud of
Quote:
I watched Serena and Venus Williams play and they're not that good. They've been given more attention than me, and they haven't even played in tournaments. They don't know how to play points or how to win. I've put myself on the line. It's not easy to be the No. 1 seed every week with everyone trying to beat you. I've absolutely earned it all."
Interesting comments from Ms. Anna.

But, to be fair, she was thought to be the best of the youngsters back then and Venus and Serena weren't playing juniors. So, I suppose she had the right to say these things. But, words do come back to haunt you.

Too bad she didn't live up to her potential because she certainly had the game to make it.
miranda_lou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote