Clijsters may boycott Olympics - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM   #1
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Clijsters may boycott Olympics

Clijsters to boycott Olympics if she cannot play in outfit of her choice

By RAF CASERT, Associated Press Writer
November 21, 2003
BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- Former No. 1 Kim Clijsters threatened to boycott the Athens Olympics if she is not allowed to wear apparel from her sponsor.

``As long as my clothing remains an issue, it is impossible for me to go to the Olympics,'' Clijsters said Friday in a statement posted on her Web site, ``even though I would like to go and even though I would be able to fit it into my schedule.''

Clijsters has a contract with the manufacturer Fila, and is refusing to wear gear from the Belgian Olympic Committee's sponsor, Adidas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Clijsters is ranked No. 2 after being overtaken this year by fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne, who wears Adidas gear and already has committed to Athens.

The Belgian Olympic Committee said it was negotiating with all parties to try to get Clijsters to compete in Athens.

``We are looking for a constructive way out of this problem,'' said Piet Moons, the committee's marketing director, and he is optimistic a compromise can be reached.

Clijsters said her contract with Fila clearly stipulated she would always have to play in the company's clothing.

``Fila made a big commitment; everything is tailor made and they also produce a special clothing line,'' she said.

``It seems normal that I respect my contract and do not play in another outfit,'' she added. ``It has nothing to do with money.''

Moons refused to say how much the Adidas contract was worth. The German sports manufacturer has sponsored the Belgian team since 1976 and is also involved in backing the Belgian participating in the Paralympics and the Olympic youth festival.

Such apparel disputes are not new at the Olympics. On the victory stand at the 1992 Barcelona Games, Michael Jordan, who was under contract to Nike, and other U.S. players draped a U.S. flag over the Reebok logo of their basketball warmup suits.

Updated on Friday, Nov 21, 2003 2:28
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:44 PM   #2
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Is this clothing despite only in Belgium? I don't remember a country having a certain sponsor, well the countries Olympic committee. That's very odd. I understand Kim's point though...she can't just ditch Fila!
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:45 PM   #3
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
huh?

If her contract says she will always wear Fila, is 'boycott' really the word for the media to be using???
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM   #4
SerenaSlam

SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future
i think its stupid they are trying to make her wear belgium crap. boycott away kim.

Let The Word....Do the Work...

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM   #5
space

space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Kim.
space is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:30 PM   #6
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Is this clothing despite only in Belgium? I don't remember a country having a certain sponsor, well the countries Olympic committee. That's very odd. I understand Kim's point though...she can't just ditch Fila!
I remember the whole issue with Michael Jordan and the USA basketball team not all promoting reebok.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:32 PM   #7
country flag wongqks
Team WTAworld

wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of
Kuerten had that problem in 2000 olympics as I remember , but he managed to sort it out, I hope it will eb the same for KIm
-Some player has been playing for more than 10 years

visit this thread for more detail
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=397111
wongqks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:35 PM   #8
hey_britney

hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point hey_britney is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam
i think its stupid they are trying to make her wear belgium crap. boycott away kim.
adidas is not belgian.
hey_britney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:43 PM   #9
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Boy, the Belgian Olympic Committee is really strict. If I remember correctly, not only did Venus and Serena get to wear their own gear in 2000, but Serena even wore her then-usual pink and black. Fila has a price; the question is, is Adidas willing to meet that price?
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:07 PM   #10
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Well, perhaps if she wears an Adidas cap, or sock.....I mean, it doesn't say she can't wear other clothing companies does it?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:18 PM   #11
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Will believe it when I see it.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:21 PM   #12
country flag PointBlank
Team WTAworld

PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe Kim can ask Fila to make a Belgian color suit sorta like the Adidas one but with a fila logo? Would that work?
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:00 AM   #13
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Why can't she just hide the logo like Michael Jordan did with her national flag?

Always drama....
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:40 AM   #14
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
This is pretty much the same issue as when players were refusing to wear the "Sanex" patch a few years ago. Or Tiger Woods when Mercedes was taking out ads to congratulate him. This is part of sports now.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:44 AM   #15
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
i love adidas but i'm on kim's side here
it's only moral to respect your contract
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote