Williams sisters will return to tennis at Australian Open - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:36 PM   #1
space

space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point
Williams sisters will return to tennis at Australian Open

Williams sisters will return to tennis at Australian Open
Nov. 20, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The Williams sisters said Thursday they will return to tournament tennis at the Australian Open in January.

Advertisement

Both Serena and Venus Williams sat out the U.S. Open and WTA Championships after playing in the finals at Wimbledon. Serena had surgery on her left knee and Venus was sidelined by a pulled stomach muscle.

"I feel great," Venus said. "It just took time and rest to get better."

Serena won the Wimbledon final against Venus -- the fifth time in six Grand Slams that the sisters met for the title -- and then underwent surgery Aug. 1.

"I'm feeling stronger," she said. "It's getting better. I'll play some exhibitions in Australia before the Open."

The Williams sisters were selling french fries at a Manhattan restaurant to raise money for Ronald McDonald House Charities as part of World Children's Day.

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM   #2
country flag xr6turbo
Veelieve.

xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute

"I want to do things on my own terms, I can't have anything take me out.
I have never given up and it's important for me to prove to myself that I can do this, and to prove to me that i'm a champion.
If I were just to sit down, lay down and give in, then I wouldn't have any respect for myself."
VW
xr6turbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:11 PM   #3
country flag jenny161185

jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future
she feels great oz open should be very interesting
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:14 PM   #4
Fyndh0rnElf

Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny161185
The grand slam of OZZ will be the greatest slam in ages

Hopefully, Henin won't win this time
Fyndh0rnElf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:26 PM   #5
space

space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny161185

Yep, that's the part I like to hear. She's feeling great.

I read in one article where they asked about they training and the writer of the article said that V&S would not talking about they training patterns and what they are doing in training. Venus did say she is working on some new moves so, maybe they have something up their sleeves.
space is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:29 PM   #6
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
It'll be very interesting to see how Serena plays after being sidelined for so long and basically leaving the game at the top. I think it will be tougher for her than Venus, because Venus is a much rangier and longer limbed opponent, and her game tends to be reactionary mix of great court coverage and incredible gets, so she should be able to pick up right where she left off. Serena, on the other hand, she's got some work cut out for her. I can't wait to see my favorite active female tennis player in action again: Serena Williams!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:55 PM   #7
space

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
It'll be very interesting to see how Serena plays after being sidelined for so long and basically leaving the game at the top. I think it will be tougher for her than Venus, because Venus is a much rangier and longer limbed opponent, and her game tends to be reactionary mix of great court coverage and incredible gets, so she should be able to pick up right where she left off. Serena, on the other hand, she's got some work cut out for her. I can't wait to see my favorite active female tennis player in action again: Serena Williams!
Why would it be any tougher than the other times when they were out with injuries and came right back and win.
space is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:01 PM   #8
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Yep...I think Serena should really put up some work during the Hopman-Cup to get back in the thick of things.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:13 PM   #9
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
"I feel great," Venus said. "It just took time and rest to get better."
Uh OOOOH!! Bad news for the haters.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:19 PM   #10
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I find this interesting. Why would it be harder for Venus? Venus, incase you have forgotten, has been in the position before. She missed 6 months from 99-00 with injury. She came back, lost early (on clay) and then won 35 in a row, including Wimbledon, US Open and Olympics!
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:21 PM   #11
WtaTour4Ever
Team WTAworld

WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light
They are both playing before the oz right? I hope so.....either way, can't wait to see them both.
WtaTour4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM   #12
country flag lee station

lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future
Welcome back!
lee station is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:42 PM   #13
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
I find this interesting. Why would it be harder for Venus? Venus, incase you have forgotten, has been in the position before. She missed 6 months from 99-00 with injury. She came back, lost early (on clay) and then won 35 in a row, including Wimbledon, US Open and Olympics!
He meant Serena would have a tough time.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:49 PM   #14
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
The sisters are still training even while they are not actively playing tournaments. They are getting ready for the AO. I actually think it's good that they have this time off.

I think both sisters will adjust well after the lay off. Remember they have always come back from injury and play like they never left. Of course their will be some first match and possibly second match glitches or even tournament glitches, but that's to be expected when you have not played for half the season.

Good Luck Venus and Serena!

I would like to see Venus win the AO, but Serena will be fine for me also.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:00 PM   #15
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Wonderful news!!!!
GO VENUS!!!!