These Grand Slam Champions... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:51 AM   #1
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute
These Grand Slam Champions...

have a story to tell. they are not like most players.
the sisters: came from a horendous neighbourhood. coached by a cute-crazy father.
justine:the story about her mom.
jennifer: from drugs to stealing to glory.
martina navratilova: overcame the homophobes.
mary: overcame an abusive father.
steffi: overcame her fathers antics.

not sure whether to add monica cuz she already had 8 grand slams in hand before the stabbing.

anything else?i dont know much about the rest.

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:32 AM   #2
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
jana novotna- overcame the embarassment of the duchesses shoulder!
jimbo mack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:35 AM   #3
propi

propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute
Conchita Martínez: overcame the topics about grass being for cows (that's said here ) and Spanish only winning on clay
Du temps
"

propi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM   #4
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Monica still won a grand slam after the stabbing.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:50 AM   #5
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Monica won after the stabbing as Kart mentioned.

Martina Hingis' parents got divorced when she was four, and she moved to a different country with a new father since the opportunities in Czechoslovakia were limited at the time. Her mother used to work two jobs in Czechoslovakia so she could pay for Martina's tennis lessons when Martina was a young child. When Martina would come home, they would go over tennis strategy and her mother would sometimes take a racquet to demonstrate her point. It wasn't an easy ride for Martina...
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:59 AM   #6
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, i know about monica, but she already won 8 slams before that. did she have any "history" before that?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:08 AM   #7
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Define 'history.'

After all, didn't Steffi's dad's antics all start after she was a multiple grand slam champion ?
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:21 AM   #8
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
steffi's father had his antics before 87 but from what I read they were only good for her tenniscareer.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:52 AM   #9
wave

wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Irma!

You are the expert on Steffis career and I agree that Peter G. had his antics before. Rumours say that he beat Steffi when she was young. So how can that be "good" for her career? Or do you think that this is untrue?
Reading your e-mail again: I think you meant it ironically, didn't you?

As for Monica: Growing up as a minority (Hungarian) in political unsecure Yougoslavia (serbia), leaving for another country to practice there as a very young girl might be also a story (at least similar to Martina Hingis). But I admit that lots of young girls have to leave their country to go somewhere else to practice, often at Nick Bs.
Loosing her father, the most important man in her life is also a story, but unfortunately a story without happy end (until now) as she has lost in the Paris final against my other fave Arantxa.

Martina: The story seems to me harder on Martinas mother than on Martina...

Hi Kart!

Arantxa, you will always be in my heart. Thanks for all the great matches you gave us and for just being a wonderful person on and off court.
All the best for your future!

Last edited by wave : Nov 21st, 2003 at 10:58 AM.
wave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:57 AM   #10
country flag irma

that said steffi was bullied in school because she got privileges because her tennis, but I don't think she kept a trauma of that. why should she, the same people were probably begging for her autograph years later
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:03 AM   #11
country flag irma

I base it on steffi's interviews and also on the one of her mother in the welt a few years ago. they say that till steffi started to be succesfull they had a great life. I have no reason to doubt that.
also the spiegel who wrote about the beating thing also talked about the time when steffi was already number 1 in the world
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:08 AM   #12
country flag irma

oh my first post was about the fights he had with the WTA in the middle of the eighties and those were good for Steffi's career and for some others. I am definitely convinced about that, no matter what an idiot he was otherwise
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:04 PM   #13
space

space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCR
have a story to tell. they are not like most players.
the sisters: came from a horendous neighbourhood. coached by a cute-crazy father.
justine:the story about her mom.
jennifer: from drugs to stealing to glory.
martina navratilova: overcame the homophobes.
mary: overcame an abusive father.
steffi: overcame her fathers antics.

not sure whether to add monica cuz she already had 8 grand slams in hand before the stabbing.

anything else?i dont know much about the rest.
Why do you people always make where V&S came from the worse place on earth. Do not go by everything you hear or read. Do you know anything about compton or are you going by hearsay.
space is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:06 PM   #14
space

space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point space is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
Monica won after the stabbing as Kart mentioned.

Martina Hingis' parents got divorced when she was four, and she moved to a different country with a new father since the opportunities in Czechoslovakia were limited at the time. Her mother used to work two jobs in Czechoslovakia so she could pay for Martina's tennis lessons when Martina was a young child. When Martina would come home, they would go over tennis strategy and her mother would sometimes take a racquet to demonstrate her point. It wasn't an easy ride for Martina...
And she and her mother also lived in their car or was that Anna K. Living in your car is just as bad as the so call "horendous" neighborhood were V&S are from that the thread started mentioned.
space is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:08 PM   #15
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
Monica was sort-of a trend-setter, in leaving Eastern Europe at a very young age to try to make a tennis career. Martina N. emigrated at 19. Monica was really taking a huge risk. Her parents didn't speak English, even at 12 years old she had to make all the travel arrangements. Now many others have done what she did, Anna, now Sharapova, it's almost commonplace, but when you think of where Monica came from (a small town in Yugoslavia with no indoor courts) to make it to #1 by 17 is quite a "history" to overcome.
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote