Let's discuss a few improvements for the 2004 season - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:53 AM   #1
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Let's discuss a few improvements for the 2004 season

Hi guys!

After the US Open, this game will celebrate its 4th anniversary: the very first Tennis Poker tournament started in September 1999. I hope youíve enjoyed it as much as I do, and I take this chance to thank all the posters whose kindness and constant support has made this possible.

Iíve started thinking about the next season, thereís always room for some improvements. New ideas are one of the secrets to make a game last as the initial enthusiasm inevitably fades.

First of all, let me remind you what weíve already talked about: everyone will have to sign up again for the 2004 season.. It will be very useful in order to get rid of retired tennis players, banned posters and all the people who are not interested in going on with the game. Sign up threads will be posted as soon as the 8th and last leg starts (around October 15th). An issue of the Tennis Poker newsletter will inform those of you who have chosen to receive it.

If you donít have any problem or interesting suggestion for a possible improvement, the singles tour will remain as it is. Everything is running smoothly, and I think the new rules about spare cards and jokers are working fine.

But Iím a little bit concerned about the doubles. In this season, in three occasions the singles winner has won the doubles too thanks to his own performance and with a limited help from his partner. Three out of five legs may not be that much, but in the other two legs the singles winner didnít compete in the doubles at all. So, it might ALWAYS happen with the current scoring system. I like the idea of a doubles tour and I would like to find a way to make teamwork more important. Iím working on a couple of possible proposals, Iíll be glad to hear your ideas about it.

IMO; Fed Cup as this yearís team event was quite successful. I havenít planned any major change, though it may be a good idea to let you decide the detailed roster for each match instead of a random draw; especially for those teams with posters whio have to play twice now and then. Let me know your opinions about the Fed Cup too.

Next year, I really would like to make a special event for the Tennis Poker Olympic Games. No limitations about Fed Cup showings and so on; Iíve never been very fond of the limit of three representatives for each country, but I wouldnít mind making some regional trials.

Finally, Iíve been wondering about starting Tennis Poker for ATP on the other board.

Looking forward to hear what you think about it, thank you very much!
DoctorG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:56 PM   #2
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
those all sound great but a lot of work are you sure you don't need any help?

and I'll try to think of some improvements or new ideas for the game and your right changing the rules and stuff keeps the game exciting.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:36 AM   #3
country flag The Crow
The hottest straight, goth rocker on the board
Admin Emeritus

The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
Indeed!

About the doubles, I agree. The team should be somewhat punished when the second player is really bad. Oh and also, for the doubles rankings: I think (so only my opinion ) that it should be more important which round your team got to, rather than how it is now, where the points both members earned in the singles event is the most important (correct me if I'm wrong Doc )

Btw i like the Fedcup format as it is now.

Anyway thanks for the efforts!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:45 AM   #4
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute DoctorG has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
Hi Rocketta!

This game takes less time than it may seem. I've gained a lot of experience through the years, "cut and paste" and excel worksheets are a great help. Each leg lasts at least a month and it's not so difficult to find some spare time now and then, it doesn't require a daily or weekly presence. I'm going to shut down Tennis Pole Vault, so I guess it won't be a problem to start a new event here. Still wondering about the ATP, we'll see if it gets enough support.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:25 AM   #5
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow
The team should be somewhat punished when the second player is really bad. Oh and also, for the doubles rankings: I think (so only my opinion ) that it should be more important which round your team got to, rather than how it is now, where the points both members earned in the singles event is the most important (correct me if I'm wrong Doc )
Hi The Crow!

About the doubles ranking, yes, probably the round points are not enough and we need to find a more proper balance.

Probably, the doubles tour should not be based on the singles points. It's very easy, and it doesn't require an extra effort for me; but, IMO, posting a separate set of picks, decided by both posters, may be the best solution. It will take a lot of time, but mostly things will be set during the off-season: only 3 posters and 1 pair have joined the game after the 1st leg of the 2003 season.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM   #6
country flag The Crow
Admin Emeritus

The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the double team could exist of the following:

- the players both have in their team (so if both have e.g. Serena in their team, Serena would also be in their doubles team)
- from the other players in both teams, pick the ones which make the best possible combination.

Uhm, maybe this would be too much work and/or wouldn't solve the problem anyway? Well it was just an idea...
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:44 PM   #7
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

Quote:
Maybe the double team could exist of the following:

- the players both have in their team (so if both have e.g. Serena in their team, Serena would also be in their doubles team)
- from the other players in both teams, pick the ones which make the best possible combination.

Uhm, maybe this would be too much work and/or wouldn't solve the problem anyway? Well it was just an idea...

It does sound as a good idea, I'll do a test run. No separate sets of picks for the double, and that's great, but I'm concerned about the fact two pairs may have the same "extended" picks.

For example:

Pair #1:
Player #1: Capriati / Clijsters / Henin-Hardenne / S.Williams / V.Williams
Player #2: Capriati / Davenport / Mauresmo / S.Williams / V.Williams

Pair #2:
Player #3: Capriati / Clijsters / Mauresmo / S.Williams / V.Williams
Player #4: Capriati / Davenport / Henin-Hardenne / S.Williams / V.Williams

That would lead to the very same combination. Considering most of the combinations include the top tennis players, it wouldn't be very rare.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:58 PM   #8
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

BTW, thank you for your help guys!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:10 AM   #9
country flag Rocketta

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
yeah I'm still thinking!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #10
Doris Loeffel

Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice Doris Loeffel is just really nice
First I thought just to split the total amount of points in half for the doubles might help but it'll tourn out the same...

...sorry have no clue how the doubles could be made more interresting.

Would joining the two teams into one and eliminate the two best and two worst cards help?? I don't know
Doris Loeffel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #11
country flag The Crow
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG
It does sound as a good idea, I'll do a test run. No separate sets of picks for the double, and that's great, but I'm concerned about the fact two pairs may have the same "extended" picks.

For example:

Pair #1:
Player #1: Capriati / Clijsters / Henin-Hardenne / S.Williams / V.Williams
Player #2: Capriati / Davenport / Mauresmo / S.Williams / V.Williams

Pair #2:
Player #3: Capriati / Clijsters / Mauresmo / S.Williams / V.Williams
Player #4: Capriati / Davenport / Henin-Hardenne / S.Williams / V.Williams

That would lead to the very same combination. Considering most of the combinations include the top tennis players, it wouldn't be very rare.
Right, didn't think about that

What if the doubles team has to pick the players they have in common (which is no problem cause they probably belive in those players anyway ) and then decide together on the players to add to have a team of 5? Err well something like that

Another note about the FEDcup: I think you randomly chosing the matches is fun. I wouldn't touch it.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #12
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

Quote:
Another note about the FEDcup: I think you randomly chosing the matches is fun. I wouldn't touch it.
This shows how important this feed-back is. I was deeply convinced the random draw was not liked at all. Well, if that's not the case, Fed Cup will stay exactly as it is now.

I should have remembred people use to whine about draws no matter what.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #13
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris Loeffel
First I thought just to split the total amount of points in half for the doubles might help but it'll tourn out the same...

...sorry have no clue how the doubles could be made more interresting.

Would joining the two teams into one and eliminate the two best and two worst cards help?? I don't know
Quote:
What if the doubles team has to pick the players they have in common (which is no problem cause they probably belive in those players anyway ) and then decide together on the players to add to have a team of 5? Err well something like that
Thank you for your help, any suggestion is deeply appreciated.

These proposals are really interesting. Though I'm not sure melting two sets of picks for the singles requires less effort than handling a second separate brand new set of combinations for the doubles.

Other suggestions I've been working on, keeping the basic idea of using the singles ranking points:

1 - using a more complex maths instead of plain addition.

The product of the two performances does favour a little bit the teams without big differences:
300+300=600, 300*300=90000
400+200=600, 400*200=80000
550+50=600, 550*50=27500

2 - a limit for the ratio of the two performances, for example one player cannot get more than 2 or 3 times the total points of his partner.

3 - introducing a correction factor which considers the difference between the two values.

A lot of tests, but, actually, I'm not convinced by any of these.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:48 AM   #14
country flag Rocketta

ok I have a suggestion finally whewwww....

what if you make the point scale harder in the doubles, ie for an ace it requires 2 wins instead of one, a king requires a semi-final and 2 qtrs or 2 semi's, etc etc

Do you think that might change the results?

Hey I didn't say it was a great idea I just said I finally had one.....
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #15
country flag DoctorG
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Games

That's an interesting proposal, especially if we combine it with the idea of picking the best cards from the two combinations.

At this moment I'm busy with the 6th leg results, but it's surely something I'll think about.

Thank you!