WTA contest: Graf def Hingis 1999 => best match ever! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #1
country flag fleemkeł

fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of fleemkeł has much to be proud of
WTA contest: Graf def Hingis 1999 => best match ever!

On Eurosport they said that the match between Graf and Hingis is the best women's match ever (the WTA contest!)

I loved that match so I can live with the choice

Martina is now talking about that match and appologizes her fort her 'bad behaviour'
YEC Madrid '06,'07
41 titles

Last edited by fleemke˛ : Nov 10th, 2003 at 04:34 PM.
fleemkeł is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #2
country flag 7~ŚLęV3ń˝

7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light 7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is a glorious beacon of light
aww martina, take yer time to prepare for next year...it was a very good match, well all the matches played by top players are very good to watch, who cares bout the ue or lack of drama...
7~ŚLęV3ń˝ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #3
Linzi

Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice
That match i think kinda made Martina grow up! That game had everything, i dunno if i think its the best in terms of quality but certainly a classic.

Good luck to:
Andre, Kim, Lleyton, Vera, Marat, Amelie
Linzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #4
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
It was great because Graf won....if Martina had won it, it wouldn´t have even made the list.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #5
Linzi

Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice Linzi is just really nice
I dnt get why there was no hingis-venus games. anyone care to explain?

Good luck to:
Andre, Kim, Lleyton, Vera, Marat, Amelie
Linzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #6
country flag Hingiswinsthis

Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of
I think that was the match where you really saw your self as a frustrated teenager in Martina Hingis. I've never really seen a match like that where emotions were so strong out on the court, it was as if you can look deep into Martina Hingis's psyche. And on the other side, a true champion and a legend. I've never seen Steffi Graf as happy on that court than that day. It was a real contrast.

BTW what happened to the 1992 RG final? Also many people have downgraded any RG matches simply because it is on CLAY, but this proves just how hard to win RG is for the ladies and some of the classic matches it has produced.
Hingiswinsthis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #7
country flag pReUrBrIyN
Team WTAworld

pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road pReUrBrIyN is on a distinguished road
Oh be quiet Hingiswinsthis, you know the only reason why you are saying this is because Justine won it this year

besides, I agree...
pReUrBrIyN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #8
country flag Hingiswinsthis

Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrHuAbNiDnA
Oh be quiet Hingiswinsthis, you know the only reason why you are saying this is because Justine won it this year

besides, I agree...
damn straight
Hingiswinsthis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:10 PM   #9
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
What about their 5 set clash for the Championships title in 1996? Was it a quality match in terms of play? The 1999 French Open final had some good drama, but the tennis wasn't necessarily great (particulaly the last set).
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #10
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
i'm so glad the graf vs hingis match 99 was voted.

i was only 14 at the time and i remember going into school the next day after the match and loads of people were talking about it! even people who have no knowledge on tennis were talking about it.

as avid tennis fans, we should be proud of this match as it gave the wta a lot more recognition after that match. it was that match that my school friends started to understand why i love women's tennis so much!!
jimbo mack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #11
country flag gmak

gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute
a great match in terms of drama but not necessarily the best tennis....

strange though the two hingis-venus US Open semifinals nor the hingis-serena AO quarterfinal were not on the list...
Dementieva Clijsters Safina Novotna Davenport Seles Pierce Mauresmo Bovina Vaidisova Golovin Spirlea Farina Likhovtseva Monami Halard Rubin Bedanova Tulyaganova Maleeva Zvereva Sabatini
gmak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #12
country flag gmak

gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute
their 5 set clash was great for 4 sets but it ended in anticlimax because hingis was cramping badly in the final set and steffi also had problems with her back... it ended with a bagel!
Dementieva Clijsters Safina Novotna Davenport Seles Pierce Mauresmo Bovina Vaidisova Golovin Spirlea Farina Likhovtseva Monami Halard Rubin Bedanova Tulyaganova Maleeva Zvereva Sabatini
gmak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #13
country flag Tratree

Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of Tratree has much to be proud of
The fans voted for the '99 French final, but the media picked the '92 French final, so they're both winners I guess.
Tratree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #14
country flag Come-on-kim

Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute
I saw the match but expect all the fuss around it, it wasn't really a fantastic match tennis wise

"When you do your best, it's always good enough" - Kim Clijsters

"No matter what happens, you have to try to stay positive, bad things can happen, but if you try to stay positive, something positive will come out of it…I believe that everything happens for a reason" - Kim Clijsters

"Goed is de ergste vijand van zeer goed" - Pascal Smet

"Als je iemand idealiseert, verlies je het contact met de werkelijkheid"

"Ca s’apprend par la souffrance, ça s’apprend par les déceptions, ça s’apprend par la densité du mal que ça te fait, plus ça te fait mal et plus ça te fait grandir. Y a des moments oů tu te dis je ne vais pas le supporter, ça, ça fait trop mal, et pourtant tu passes au travers."
Come-on-kim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #15
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Come-on-kim
I saw the match but expect all the fuss around it, it wasn't really a fantastic match tennis wise
French Open Finals Selected Greatest Matches in 30 Year History of WTA Tour
November 10, 2003

Graf victory over Hingis and Seles’ battle with Graf tops fan and media lists

LOS ANGELES, CA – The 1999 and 1992 French Open finals were voted the Greatest Matches in the WTA Tour’s 30-year history by fans and the media, respectively.

In the 1992 final at Roland Garros that was chosen by the worldwide media, Monica Seles won a marathon battle against Steffi Graf 6-2, 3-6, 10-8.

In the 1999 final selected by fans, Graf pulled off a tense and dramatic rally to stun Martina Hingis 4-6, 7-5, 6-2.

The winning matches were selected after more than two months of online voting on the WTA Tour website (www.wtatour.com). Fans and media made their choices from a list of 16 memorable matches from the Open era in WTA Tour history.

In the ’92 Seles-Graf match, Seles broke for a 3-1 lead in the third, but Graf rallied to take leads of 6-5 and 7-6. Seles stood her ground and served for the match at 8-7, yet Graf held on. Finally, facing a sixth match-point against her in the 18th game of the third set, Graf’s forehand nicked the tape and fell back on her own side. The crowd’s cheering reduced Graf to tears and Seles graciously admitted that both players deserved to win the match.

“It was a very high quality and intense match from the very beginning until the end,’’ Graf said. “I was 5-3 down and gave myself the chance to get back into the match. It went back and forth and eventually Monica ran out the winner. The thing that stands out in my mind was how supportive the crowd was that day toward me.’’

The ’99 Graf-Hingis match was all about intensity and drama. Hingis was in the pressure-packed position of being the overwhelming favorite, while Graf seemingly had nothing to lose.

The match will forever be remembered for what happened with Hingis leading 2-0 in the second set. Hingis thought a forehand return clipped the baseline, and when the umpire couldn’t find the ball mark left in the clay court, Hingis marched around to Graf’s side of the court to point it out. She was issued a point penalty (She had earlier broken a racquet) and was now just one indiscretion away from being defaulted. It was the reprieve Graf needed.

Graf won six straight games at one point that essentially spelled doom for Hingis, who eventually left the court to go to the bathroom. While she was gone, Graf joined the crowd in doing the Mexican wave.

Down match point, Hingis had one more trick up her sleeve and unleashed a Michael Chang-like underarm serve, which threw Graf off. But Graf recovered and used her trademark forehand to carry her the rest of the way to victory.

Hingis, just 18 at the time, had to be coaxed back on court by her mother for the trophy ceremony and held up well while speaking in French afterwards.

Immediately afterwards, Graf said it was “one of the craziest matches’’ she had ever played.

“I would like to thank the fans for selecting this match,’’ Graf said. “My memories from that day were that it wasn’t the best tennis, but it was very exciting. I certainly did not expect to be physically and mentally ready after beating Lindsay (Davenport) and Monica (Seles) in two tough matches.

“It was amazing since I hadn’t played in a Grand Slam final since my knee surgery and I did not show the same level of competitiveness in important moments during matches up until that point. When I look back now, it was the biggest win I ever achieved during my tennis career.’’

http://www.wtatour.com/index.cfm?sec...cont_id=213369
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote