Special Seedings - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #1
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Special Seedings

It will come to interesting situation. There is no special descriptive regulations for special seeding, and even though Special Rankings regulations suggest that WTA Tour has a right to seed a Gold Exempt player with Special Rankings, they don't specify how. Also I seem to remember an interview with a WTA official who said that they would do Special Seedings in exceptional circumstances, but special seeding of more than one player at a time is out of question ( because it basically breaks the concept of "exceptional" ). And now we have a total of three players who could probably ask for that - Williams sisters and Seles.

I wonder which one would they pick? Serena though seems to be eliminating that possibility for herself by playing Hopman Cup, that starts one day before her 6 month period ends. Venus or Seles? By regulations, it should be Seles, because they will be able to seed Venus anyway, and Seles won't be seeded without Special seedings..

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #2
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Serena knows she won't need it because she is the only player in the top ten whose ranking is safe until next years AO. Venus is going to need it and probably will get it since she is not going to play any tournaments until the AO (though she is scheduled to play a Hong Kong exebition).
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:20 AM   #3
country flag Jericho

Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute
does hopman cup count as a tournament?

Jericho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:26 AM   #4
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuVenuSerena
does hopman cup count as a tournament?
In a context , yes. It is on official WTA calendar, so playing it signals the end of injury layoff.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #5
country flag Jericho

Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute Jericho has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
In a context , yes. It is on official WTA calendar, so playing it signals the end of injury layoff.
is it on the calendar? i thought it was just an ITF affiliated event

Jericho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #6
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
It is but any matches played counts towards the player's W/L record for the year.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:33 AM   #7
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Doesn't matter. It signals- "I can play tennis, I am no longer injured", meaning the player could have opted to play pointed tournaments of the same week, for instance.

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #8
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA BACKHAND
If they can give a special seeding, why not 2? They say it's out of question, but looking at the current situation I'm sure they are already changing their mind.
I am sure they would prefer not to give any special seedings, because no matter how you put it, it is a controversy. They will try to avoid it. I can imagine them moving Venus to #5 at AO, which looks like a big bump, but changes pretty much nothing given the way they make draws right now. And they might bump Seles to #17.

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:42 AM   #9
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
I don't believe that they can only "special seed" one at a time. I think the whole thing is completely arbitrary and just what they need to do at the time. They make up the rules as they go along.

I don't think Serena needs a special seeding. She will be #3 at the Australian no matter what, and after that while she may fall further if she doesn't defend her title, she'll still have a big cushion.

Venus I think is most likely to get a seeding, maybe #4, maybe in the top 8

I doubt they'll give Monica a special seeding although i wish they would.

Maybe they'll give it to all three
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #10
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA BACKHAND
It wouldn't be controversial if there was clear rules about seeding and injuries.
We are not talking abou what "would".. We are talking about what "is"..

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:33 AM   #11
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
If Venus asks for a special seeding, she will get it and it will probably be #4 which will also be her protected ranking. Serena can get a protected ranking of #1 and a special seeding of #2 if she wants, but if she and Venus decide they don't want to be on the same side, Serena can just stay at #3 and Venus will have her seeding of 4 and then they both have the opportunity to defend their points.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #12
country flag Andrew.
A winner is me.

Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold Andrew. is a splendid one to behold
If they do give out the SSR, Monica will probably get it. Simply looking forward, they will realize it may be her final AO. Venus and Serena still have a good four or five years, but next year will most likely be Monica's last.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:48 AM   #13
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
If Venus asks for a special seeding, she will get it and it will probably be #4 which will also be her protected ranking. Serena can get a protected ranking of #1 and a special seeding of #2 if she wants, but if she and Venus decide they don't want to be on the same side, Serena can just stay at #3 and Venus will have her seeding of 4 and then they both have the opportunity to defend their points.
Wishful thinking. If Capriati is #4 by then, there is no way they will bump the player who won it two out of last three times to someone who has never been a champion. It would be too controversial. They won't do that. We can bet on that.

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:53 AM   #14
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
Wishful thinking. If Capriati is #4 by then, there is no way they will bump the player who won it two out of last three times to someone who has never been a champion. It would be too controversial. They won't do that. We can bet on that.
The Aussie has no control over the special seedings, they reserve the right to seed where they want, but they follow the WTA RANKINGS for seedings. This is Venus Williams we are talking about. They aren't going to give Capriati any special respect at the Aussie. If she has a special seeding of #4 she WILL be #4. If GS decided to seed by past results then Venus would have been #2 at Wimbledon and #1 at the US Open this year, but she wasn't. You make not sense whatsoever ys. That's a typical trait of a hater though.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:56 AM   #15
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
The Aussie has no control over the special seedings, they reserve the right to seed where they want, but they follow the WTA RANKINGS for seedings. This is Venus Williams we are talking about. They aren't going to give Capriati any special respect at the Aussie. If she has a special seeding of #4 she WILL be #4.
There is no such thing as "Special Seeding". As I said , try to find any definitions or regulation on that - you won't. "That is venus Williams we are talking about".. Who TF is Venus Williams? What is it that makes her special ( for people other than Williams-fan-moron-base ) and better than Capriati or even Davenport? Nothing.

PLAY TENNIS!