Is sharapova better than Kournikova??? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:14 PM   #1
Cybelle Darkholme

Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future
Is sharapova better than Kournikova???

She may be inexperienced but Shara has already won two titles while korny languishes titleless. Shara has a solid game and once she gains more and more experience playing top players she's sure to go far. Mentally she's much more together than anna ever was.

So even with her lack of doubles success that anna has I still say that Shara is BETTER than kourny.
The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:18 PM   #2
KV

KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute
If Anna had played more tier 4's she would probably have won a few tournaments. You can't compare the tennis of now to 5 years ago. At the age of 16 Anna was SEMI-FINALIST at Wimbledon. Anna had by far too many injuries to be fairly judged. Hopefully Masha stays fit, then she has a great career ahead.
KV is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:18 PM   #3
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
Can't forget Anna's real claim to fame-
WIMBLEDON 1997 semi's.
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:20 PM   #4
Cybelle Darkholme

Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future
Its not about injuries or burnout or bad teen years that derail careers its about results. So far as a singles player shara is better and doubles is pretty much irrelevant.
The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM   #5
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
Oh God! Not one of these threads where people will find a way to bash both players!
apoet29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:39 PM   #6
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
I look at it this way. Both Anna and Maria have emerged at different times on the tour; therefore, their results will be different. The good thing about Maria winning these small events early in her career is that she will not have to deal with the "titleless curse" that has followed Kournikova around like an albatross for most of Anna's career. Maria has made a smart decision to play small events, get the experience and overcome the hype in ways that Kournikova was never allowed to. So, in a sense, Maria has learned from Anna's mistakes. If Anna had played smaller events earlier in her career and got those wins, her confidence and career may be in a different place at this time. As for Maria, she is still very young and deserves credit for trying to build her career on results and not allow herself to get lost in the hype.

I guess what I am trying to say is that these threads invite bashing of one player over another. It is a disservice to both women. They deserve better.
apoet29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM   #7
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
this thread is sooooo stupid when sharapova hasn't even played a full year on the tour!!

and if u HAD to compare them, kournikova's had the better career so far.

look at the facts! grandslams, big tourneys. not a couple of small tournaments like tokyo and quebec!!
jimbo mack is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:44 PM   #8
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
I like Anna K more.

Not that that has anything to do with this thread I admit.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:47 PM   #9
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Maria has her titles, but I think that it is due to smart-play. Anna at the time was top-5 candidate and of course had no business playing tier III´s and IV. Even without the titles I think Anna was better at a younger age than Maria....but of course Maria made the smart move to winning the small titles first to dodge the hype.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM   #10
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
you are remembered for playing well in the big tournaments, not the little ones.

i think maria WILL have a better career than anna, but like i said earlier, not yet, its too early to compare
jimbo mack is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:50 PM   #11
JustineTime

JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute
Better at what?

The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes. Ps. 36:1

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Ps. 14:1, 53:1

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov. 1:7

...Behold, the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding. Job 28:28
JustineTime is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:55 PM   #12
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Maria has her titles, but I think that it is due to smart-play. Anna at the time was top-5 candidate and of course had no business playing tier III´s and IV. Even without the titles I think Anna was better at a younger age than Maria....but of course Maria made the smart move to winning the small titles first to dodge the hype.
OMG i totally agree with you!! the teenage kournikova was too busy beating top players and making grand slam semis to be winning titles 'beating' players outside top 100 in the final. sharapova is a big talent, but i think kournikova versus sharapova at the same age would favour anna. sharapova doesn't seem like she is going to caught up in the whole glamour side of the sport, and i think her record will probably be better, but the reality is that she still has a lot to prove against the top players before we can say how far she will go. if she gets stronger though i really think that she could be something special
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:56 PM   #13
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute
". Maria has made a smart decision to play small events, get the experience and overcome the hype in ways that Kournikova was never allowed to"

Anna wasn't allowed? LOL...Anna went for the glamour and the glitz

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:06 PM   #14
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FOREHAND
". Maria has made a smart decision to play small events, get the experience and overcome the hype in ways that Kournikova was never allowed to"

Anna wasn't allowed? LOL...Anna went for the glamour and the glitz
Yep and that decision will hunt her forever it seems! Heck even Venus won her first title at a tier III: Oklahoma.....there are few players who break out at the big stage immediately...Serena´s run from Paris to Lipton was a HUGE HUGE run for a 17 year old kid.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:21 PM   #15
Cybelle Darkholme

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoet29
I look at it this way. Both Anna and Maria have emerged at different times on the tour; therefore, their results will be different. The good thing about Maria winning these small events early in her career is that she will not have to deal with the "titleless curse" that has followed Kournikova around like an albatross for most of Anna's career. Maria has made a smart decision to play small events, get the experience and overcome the hype in ways that Kournikova was never allowed to. So, in a sense, Maria has learned from Anna's mistakes. If Anna had played smaller events earlier in her career and got those wins, her confidence and career may be in a different place at this time. As for Maria, she is still very young and deserves credit for trying to build her career on results and not allow herself to get lost in the hype.

I guess what I am trying to say is that these threads invite bashing of one player over another. It is a disservice to both women. They deserve better.
never allowed to? No one forced her to play those tournaments. She chose her schedule like all players do.

also comparing two players is not a disservice. Whats wrong with you people? In every other sport this is done: football, soccer, basketball, etc etc... can you imagine track fans not wanting to discuss who is better between kellie white and marion jones? Hell its fun and interesting to compare atheletes! Some of you are just too sensitive. Im not bashing kournikova as a person I just think her tennis record, even with the slam semi, is just not as impressive as actually winning titles.