The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:45 AM   #121
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
omg thanks for the photos.Gaby is amazingly more and more beautiful

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM   #122
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
1988 WTA championships:

This is for Gaby fans-and to remind Pam of "the one that got away". Guess you were out chasing too many dudes to go the distance Pam

Sabatini Spoils Shriver's Week as Cinderella
The Washington Post Washington, D.C.; Nov 21, 1988; Christine Brennan;

One woman came into the final of the Virginia Slims tennis championships hoping that today would be the day a decade of disappointment finally would end. It wasn't Pam Shriver's last chance for a major win, but it certainly was her best opportunity in recent (and not-so-recent) memory.

Her opponent, eight years younger, walked onto the court knowing that, if she didn't win this tournament, another major, some day, some time, was sure to follow. Gabriela Sabatini wanted the victory today, of course, but if it had to wait, well, she had time.

It would make a nice little story to be able to say the older player finally won the big victory missing from her resume, but she did not. Sabatini, 18 and ready to take on the world, easily defeated Shriver, 26 and still trying, 7-5, 6-2, 6-2, before 16,711 this afternoon at Madison Square Garden.

"I have to say that this is the best tennis I've ever played in my life," Sabatini said after winning the "fifth major" of women's tennis.

After watching Sabatini pass her time and again at the net, foiling the serve-and-volley game that must work for her to win, Shriver realized that one of her greatest weeks had ended not quite as she had hoped.

She upset Chris Evert Thursday night and Steffi Graf Saturday, but trying to upset a third higher-rated player on a fourth day was just too much. Perhaps a bit worn and weary from her whirlwind week, Shriver found herself in tears as she left the court.

"I'm a little sad," she said. "I had a great week. I'm not sad I lost but I'm sad that the week's over with . . . Yesterday, I had the biggest thrill of my life when I won that match."

What happened to her today was no thrill. Thinking she might end up playing for hours in this best-of-five-set championship, the usually chipper native of Lutherville, Md., decided to play it cool emotionally for a set or two so she wouldn't "waste emotional energy." She realized later that might have been a mistake, and probably spent the evening tossing furniture around her hotel room.

"Maybe I was a little too subdued," she said. "I didn't quite have the same edge I had earlier. I was just a little bit slow on a couple things. I needed to yell and scream and slap myself."

By the end of the second set, when she was all but out of the match, she came to life. It was too late. Sabatini, whose shoulders seem to grow "three inches wider," Shriver said, every time she sees her, was on a relentless hunt, and Shriver was the prey.

In retrospect, Shriver seemed truly competitive only in the hour-long first set. Back and forth the players went, both fighting nerves more than each other. Sabatini broke Shriver's serve in the third game by passing her at the net with a backhand, but Shriver broke right back in the fourth when Sabatini made one of her few errors, netting a weak backhand off a sharp return of her second serve.

Sabatini had her next opening at 4-3 when Shriver double-faulted to lose the seventh game, and then won the next game on her serve.

Down by 3-5, Shriver did not wilt as she did later in the match. She held serve, then, at 4-5, fought off one set point on one of her rare authoritative, deep forehand volleys, then broke Sabatini with a backhand drop shot and a forehand.

The 11th game was the most important of the match, and Shriver couldn't win it on her serve. She fell behind, 0-40, then came back with a service winner before Sabatini took the game with a forehand crosscourt winner.

Bonus Pool: Martina Navratilova earned $450,000 by finishing first in the 1988 Virginia Slims bonus pool, the Women's International Tennis Association said. Steffi Graf missed a $400,000 bonus because she didn't play in enough tournaments
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:40 PM   #123
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Can't be a real Gaby thread without a peak at her 1990 US Open Steffi didn't look very gracious at the end (the match ended on a slightly controversial call) but her last quote in this article is-

Sabatini Comes Of Age, Halts Graf;Captures Long-Expected 1st Grand Slam Title
The Washington Post Washington, D.C.; Sep 9, 1990; Sally Jenkins;

Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, who was said to be incapable of a major victory, won the U.S. Open today. The 20-year-old, known more for her physical beauty and looping topspin than her ability, defeated the No. 1 player in the world, Steffi Graf of West Germany, with an animation she never had shown before, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4), in their final at the National Tennis Center.

The once-unassailable Graf was not only vulnerable today, she was an open wound and a weary, pursued champion. Sabatini created match point in the tiebreaker with a twirling backhand drop volley that Graf could not retrieve. Graf then punched a forehand that caught the net cord and became a perfect high target for Sabatini's crushed forehand that ticked just inside the line. Graf turned her back to the net and stood for a long moment, her chin on her chest and her hands on her hips, as Sabatini exulted.

"I can't believe I won this tournament," Sabatini said. "It's the biggest feeling. I have no words to explain this emotion."

So much for the theory that Graf, 21, who had claimed nine Grand Slam events in the last three years, including her 1988 sweep of the Australian and French opens, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open-is invincible. This season she won just the Australian Open, victimized by upset-minded rivals who have caught on to her game. She has been wracked by poor health and personal difficulties, and subject to the mysterious, plaguing inconsistency she suffered this afternoon.

"Today I had nothing," she said.

Graf lost the French Open to third-ranked Monica Seles, 16, and was upset in the Wimbledon semifinals by Zina Garrison while Martina Navratilova went on to her record ninth title at the All England Club. But Graf had seemed poised to win her third straight U.S. title after Seles and Navratilova were upset in early rounds, allowing fifth-seeded Sabatini nearly free entrance to the final.

Graf had beaten Sabatini 18 times in 21 meetings. The Argentine represented the lowest seed to win the Open since Virginia Wade defeated Billie Jean King in 1968. This is the first time since 1981 that four different players won the four legs of the Grand Slam. And Sabatini's victory perhaps signified the beginning of what observers had predicted for years, that she and Graf could be the rivals of the 1990s, inheritors of the two-decade battle Navratilova had with Chris Evert. And that women's tennis would someday get deeper and more interesting.

Sabatini played a diverse, strategic match, nullifying Graf's notorious pace with massive topspin that pushed Graf well beyond the baseline. She alternated those strokes with low slices, and attacked the net discerningly. She made 26 winners to Graf's 18. In the meantime Graf sprayed 40 unforced errors.

That and Sabatini's pressing were what prevented Graf from extending the match. It has been typical in their rivalry for Sabatini to take a set, only to fold in the third, with either a mental or a physical breakdown. So when she broke Graf's serve twice consecutively to begin the match with a 4-0 lead, and then failed to close out the second set despite serving for the match at 5-4, she suspected that if she didn't end it soon the momentum would turn. Sabatini had played two matches of over two hours to reach the final; Graf was the fresher player with a 54-minute, straight-set defeat of Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the semifinals.

"I thought about it," Sabatini said. "That's why I say {in the second set}, I have to win here. I have to win in two sets because it's like it always happens, the same thing when we go to a third set sometimes I get tired."

Sabatini broke Graf's serve in the ninth game when the West German made a desperate backhand volley but floated it wide at an angle, and then cut a backhand slice to the corner awry. But Graf, struggling to remain in the match, lifted her game temporarily to break back.

A big forehand return at Sabatini's feet forced a jerked backhand into the net to put her down, 0-30, in the next game. Another driven forehand forced her lunging backhand volley deep for double break point. Graf pounded an overzealous forehand wide on the next point, but battered Sabatini in a baseline rally that ended with a windmilling backhand deep. Sabatini was thus broken and the set was even at five games each.

"After the first set I just told myself to keep the ball in play more," Graf said. "Then when she was serving for the match at 5-4, I told myself to come on, try and hit it harder. That worked for a few points. But then at some moments, she hit better shots than I did."

Graf lost two set points as Sabatini served in the 12th game. She made yet another error, a floating backhand deep, and Sabatini saved the second with a reflexive forehand volley winner from her waist. They headed into the tiebreaker.

Graf seized a 3-1 lead, guessing right with a forehand pass, and then jabbing a forehand volley. But Sabatini swept the next four points, the most spectacular a monstrous topspin forehand winner to the corner with almost as much force as Graf's famous stroke, for a minibreak of serve to bring it to 3-2. When Graf shoveled a forehand half volley into the net to trail by 5-4, Sabatini sensed victory.

She made her spinning, acrobatic backhand volley for match point on a murderous Graf forehand. Then came that anticlimactic final point.

The victory surprised Sabatini as much as anybody in the stadium. Although she is only 20, she has been a pro since she was 15. This was just her second Open final, defeated by Graf here in 1988, losing a one-set lead.

"She deserves to win a Grand Slam, she's been around a long time," Graf said. "She's had her chances. She was always a good fighter, and she stayed in against me. This was a very good final, and she deserves to win it."
Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:45 PM   #124
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Gaby had a close call in the semis. Mary Joe always gave her fits and inflicted the cruelest defeat on Sabatini in their famous 1993 French Open quarter. On this day though Sabatini hung tough.

Graf Flashes Fire, Sabatini Struggles;Sanchez Vicario Falls in 54-Minute Semifinal
The Washington Post (Washington, D.C.; Sep 8, 1990; Sally Jenkins;

Steffi Graf had a statement to make in the semifinals of the U.S. Open. Get off her back. Leave her alone. Stop bugging her with these little clay-courters like Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, and tabloid horrors, and predictions of her demise. Graf reached the final today with a victory over Sanchez Vicario that couldn't have been more emphatic. Gabriela Sabatini became her opponent only after three exhausting sets and 2 hours 43 minutes with Mary Joe Fernandez.

It has been said that top-ranked Graf, 21, of West Germany is not what she once was, plagued by health problems, hounded by the European press and upset-prone. In Sanchez Vicario she met one of her upsetters, the 1989 French Open champion, a creative 18-year-old seeded and ranked No. 6. Here are the facts: Graf breezed in just 54 minutes, 6-1, 6-2, and just try to stop her from winning her third straight U.S. Open title.

"I couldn't play much better," she said.

Graf's freshness and efficiency put Sabatini and Fernandez to shame. The 20-year-old Argentine clay-courter seeded No. 5 defeated the 19-year-old Miami baseliner seeded No. 8, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3, in a tiresome match marked by long topspin rallies and an inability to hold serve, with 13 breaks. But Sabatini proved more stubborn, recovering from deficits of 1-4 in the first set and 0-3 to extend the second; she never trailed in the third.

She mixed it up, exchanging her looping strokes for slices and rushing the net for diving volleys as she attempted to shorten the match. She finally did so, using just one service break to take the final set. She held serve for the match convincingly. She made a diving backhand volley that left her rolling on the ground, but in possession of double-match point as Fernandez stood flat-footed. Fernandez gave up on the next point with a weary forehand wide.

"That was the biggest factor, that I fought very much," Sabatini said. "I was down many times, but I kept fighting."

The effort may have assured Graf of a title, for she will be rested for Saturday's final while Sabatini is likely to be tired. Graf also has an 18-3 record against Sabatini. Sabatini has a habit of at least making their matches close: She has lost their last two Open meetings in three sets, defeated in the 1988 final by 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, and in the semifinals last year, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. But Graf is not likely to let what would be her 10th grand slam title in three years elude her now.

Graf has shown new vulnerabilities this season, losing three straight tournaments, including the French to Monica Seles, 16, and a Wimbledon semifinal to veteran Zina Garrison. Who wouldn't, chased by all these kids with scorching groundstrokes and tormented by a painful sinus condition and what she called tabloid persecution of her family? To win the Open after all of that would perhaps be as much of a personal achievement for Graf as her 1988 Grand Slam.

"It would be something major for me," she said. "Playing that well and getting to final is a big step for me. It means a lot to me. Nothing has meant that much to me for a long, long time."

If Graf's recovery is not complete, it is close to it. She has weathered this season's controversies with an iron if joyless will. Her forehand, the devastating stroke that had all but disappeared this summer, has returned with a vengeance, and so has her stern demeanor and her health. She belted Sanchez Vicario around the court like a rag doll for 12 winners, and in an effort to display her old haste she charged the net an uncharacteristic 23 times, winning 20 of those points.

"For a change, I am perfect," she said. Sanchez Vicario was only able to hold her serve three times in seven service games. That was partly a result of her intimidation in the face of Graf's forehand. "If you don't get your first serve in, you know she's going to kill you," she said.

"All over I felt good," Graf said. "I put a lot of pace on the balls and I went for the shots. I simply think I played too fast for her."

Sabatini and Fernandez looked sluggish by comparison. Their rackets seemed to weigh several pounds in their hands, and they swayed wearily at the baseline over each serve. Their presence in the semis was as much as result of a spate of upsets as their own play, No. 2 Martina Navratilova, Seles (No. 3) and Garrison (No. 4) all gone by the quarterfinals.

Or it may have been the closeness of their rivalry, with a 5-5 record against each other coming in. Each had something to prove, Sabatini in her third straight Open semifinal but called a journeywoman despite her young age because of her inability to break through in a major championship.

Fernandez won't soon forget how she lost the first set. There were five breaks of serve, and eight of the 12 games went to multiple deuces. After 45 minutes they had played just seven games.

The fifth game was a six-deuce, four-break point affair before Sabatini dropped her serve again, with a backhand deep and then a sloppy backhand volley that sat up for Fernandez' forehand pass for her 4-1 lead.

She double-faulted to lose her serve in the next game. She let Sabatini even it at 4 when she dropped serve again as she could not put away two overheads, and slapped a forehand in the net. Sabatini got the decisive break in the 12th, when Fernandez scooped a backhand half-volley at the net and Sabatini grabbed it with a running angled forehand volley to open court.

"I started coming to the net," Sabatini said. "She missed some passing shots, I volleyed well, and that's how the match changed."

But it changed again. There were seven service breaks in the second set. Only Sabatini's loose play in the 11th game gave Fernandez a final lead, the Argentine slicing a forehand into the net to trail, 5-6. Finally, Fernandez held serve with a measure of confidence, at 40-0 standing toe to toe with Sabatini and winning a volley exhange, punching a forehand past her.

The third set went against the previous two. Sabatini broke Fernandez in the eighth game. Fernandez fell behind by 15-40 on two loose forehand errors and Sabatini's picked-off backhand volley. Fernandez worked back to deuce, Sabatini slapping two backhands in the net and sinking to her knees in anguish. But she made a gentle backhand drop volley for a fourth break point, and jumped on the next serve, ripping a forehand down the line and scrambling to net yet again for twisting backhand drop-volley winner.

"I pressed too much when I shouldn't have," Fernandez said. "I rushed too much when she came up. I should have just picked a spot and hit to it. It's something I'll learn from."

Sabatini's backhand volley in the last game for double-match point showed how much confidence she has developed as a volleyer. It shot down the line so quickly that Fernandez, who had just seared a backhand pass attempt she thought won her the point, could not even start for it.

"I turned around and saw the ball was in and said, `Wow,' " Sabatini said. "She didn't move."
Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #125
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

A very young Gaby
Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #126
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #127
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #128
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #129
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #130
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #131
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #132
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #133
country flag Bероника

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #134
country flag Bероника

My 2 all-time favourites

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #135
country flag Bероника