The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:48 AM   #91
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
OMG! I totally forgot! Happy belated birthday, Gabriela!
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:49 AM   #92
sixthjude

sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough
This thread is fantastic! I miss Gaby so much, I used to live through some of her matches!! I watched her beat Seles in the 1992 Rome final on tape yesterday, what a performance! It made me realise that if Gaby was around today she would be able to beat the power players of today!!! Did you know she beat Graf more times than any other player - 11 times - and also beat Graf 5 times in a row!!! If only she had won the wimbledon final in 1991 I think she would have overtaken Graf!!! Gaby had her chance to be number 1, if she had won the 1992 French Open but she lost to Seles in the semi-final 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 - so close!!! Gaby is the most talented player ever!!! Long Live Gaby!!!
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:58 PM   #93
country flag dhenni

dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point
sixthjude,

Interesting you mentioned the 1992 French Open SF against Seles. I think, that match is my favourite of the ones Gaby lost. She led 4-2 in the third, didn't she? But then Monica played absolutely incredible, hitting winner after winner. Gaby saved quite a few match points but still the last 4 games passed pretty fast. Great match! And I think it's good, or at least ok, to remember a great match for what is was, a great match, incredible entertainment for the time it lasted, even if your fave lost it.

I agree with you about the 1992 Rome final. I have it on tape too.
dhenni is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:06 PM   #94
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
That French OPen semi is my favourite match ever,because it was the best battle i ever saw between my 2 favourites.Both played their best tennis and it's always beautiful to re-watch it.I have it on tape and watch it several times.
Gaby is very missed nowadays.
Old May 26th, 2002, 02:16 PM   #95
sixthjude

sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough sixthjude is a jewel in the rough
People think that Gaby was a choker and fair enough she did lose at lot of really big matches against the top players but she was such a breath of fresh air, so talented and emotional on court, a real contrast to both seles and graf. I can't believe she only ever made it to number three in the rankings!!! Her results are worthy of a world number one - for the period between Wimbledon 1990 and Wimbledon 1992 I think Gaby was without a doubt the number two player behind Seles - she beat Graf a number of times in these two years, but she couldn't keep it going forever - I think she had too many interests outside of tennis and was not sa motivated as Seles and Graf - if Gaby had the same application as Seles or Graf she would have achieved so much more - she had far more natural talent than either of these two - both Seles and Martina Navratilova have said that they think Gaby is the best natural talent of the modern game!!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:43 AM   #96
country flag bello

bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold
COS SHE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

MONICA SELES~NANCY FEBER~ROMINA OPRANDI~ADRIANA SERRA ZANETTI~SERENA WILLIAMS~MIRJANA LUCIC

Rossana De Los Rios ~ Alicia Molik ~ Flavia Pennetta ~ Trudi Musgrave ~ Francesca Schiavone ~Tatiana Golovin ~ Maria Vento-Kabchi ~ Anna Kournikova ~ Chanda Rubin ~ Brenda Schultz-McCarthy ~ Lina Krasnoroutskaya ~ Monica Niculescu ~ Sania Mirza ~ Cindy Watson ~ Patty Schnyder ~ Ashley Harkleroad ~ Sophie Ferguson ~ Barbora Strykova ~ Barbara Schwartz ~ Maria Emilia Salerni ~ Tsvetana Pironkova ~ Lisa McShea ~ Jelena Dokic ~ Iroda Tulyaganova
bello is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #97
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
THe spanish magazine "Grand slam tennis" has published this month and interview with Gaby.It's a very good interview and i wanted to share it with all of you.Here is the translation i've made of it:

She now lives in Miami,but last year she spent 3 months living in Paris.

"I feel i'm living the best moment in my life. I've never felt so good before".
The argentinean star feels she's living a second life."I want to try everything life gives to me.Absolutely everything".

After her retirement in october 1996, SAbatini changed her life completely.She left her tennis racket forgotten in the end of her closet and started travelling just for pleasure and fun. She also has her own bussinesseserfumes,watches and clothes."I'm trying to get to know as much as I can about life and the world.I'm absolutely grateful to tennis because it gave me everything".
But she doesn't practise this sport anymore."I haven't touched my tennis racket more than 10 times in the last 5 and half years",she admits.
Ocasionnaly she plays some exhibits,like that famous one against KOurnikova.Or recently a doubles exhibition against legend Rod Laver.

About Kournikova she says:"I think people compare her to me mostly because of what she does outside courts.THere's no doubt she's very beautiful and a lot of companies want to work with her,like they wanted to work with me earlier.In tennis courts,however i think we're different.I don't know why but she never lives to the expectations.But she has the game to be on top.In fact she was top-10 for some time.Maybe she has not enough confidence,maybe she's not that interested".

If Sabatini could go back to the last 80's and early 90's when she shine on tour,she says she would change some of her attitudes back then."i was watching some matches the other day(Miami tournament),and i realized how many people follow the game.Then i thought:i wish i had known better how much attention we raised,how important we were for people.I never realized that when i played.".
She thinks it's good that today's tennis stars are as famous as Hollywood stars,and love affairs betwween tennis players and singers as Enrique Iglesias or golf players as Sergio García:"I think it's good cause it brings a lot of attention and spotlight to tennis".
About her relationships with men she says:"Sometimes i feel like men intimidated by me.They don't dare to approach me.Specially in Argentina,i'm seen as a very strong woman there.I understand that HIngis goes out with another sport star because in such a relationship there's no fears,both live in the same position".
About herself she says she's not interested in marrying for the moment.SHe loves her freedom."Last year for example i lived 3 months in Paris.Then i thought if i've had children or family i couldn't do such things.Family and husband can wait".
About her singing career she says:"I still have singing lessons,but i don't have any solid project about it.I don't want to start again the stress travels and promotions.I want to be quiet for some time now".
About her country,Argentina and crisis,this is what she says:"I think in Argentina everysecond,and what i can do.I hate polititians who steal and lie.I think it's good and positive that all the people demonstrate in the street cause it helps to relieve all the anger and frustration".
About tha fact that she lives some months in Europe or Usa and then some time in her home country,she says:"Knowing how life is in my country,when i am in Usa or Europe i see it as an unreal world.Argentina is much more real to me.What i feel really sad about is all those friends and close people that have lost their jobs.Sometimes i feel like the situatoon so depressive in Argentina,i want to go away".
She also says she wants to start a foundation to help people in home country,specially for children or hungry people.
Asked about Steffi GRaf,her big rival,she says:"I saw her a year and half ago cause we wanted to play an exhibition match.She looked very happy and sounded good to me.And thenm we haven't talked since then".
She says she was a little surprised when she heard about GRaf and Agassi's marriage."If their son plays tennis he'll be serious to watch".
About soccer world cup:"I'm big soccer fan.I think Argentina,France and Germany are the favourites,and Brazil will be the big disappointment".

Ok,this is it,i hope you all enjoy it.I'm happy she looks so happy and satisfied with her current life,but i keep missing her on Tour.
lol about her soccer predictions.She looks also very beautiful in the photos,but sorry that i don't have scanner otherwise i'd post them here too.
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #98
country flag dhenni

dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point dhenni is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, Veronika!
dhenni is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:32 PM   #99
galadriel

galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you ,Veronika
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM   #100
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
WOW, I never knew she lived in Miami. Thanks Veronika!
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:12 AM   #101
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
At The Thought of Gabby!
Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:54 PM   #102
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Gaby was a very terrific and beautiful athlete..her 1 handed backhand was gorgeous to watch and I'm very happy that she at least got to win 1 Grand Slam (Known as of the "One Slam Wonders")..anyway sadly most people remember her as the player who chokes (like Jana Novotna) especially that 93 French Open match against Mary Joe Fernandez in which I think took a lot out of her, and the player who lost valiantly in that 91 Wimbledon final...

But for me, I see one of the most beautiful players in tennis history who put a lot into South American tennis, a player who is nice (she was the only won who supported Monica to be #1 after her absence from tennis), and was very gracious player with a great game to watch...AND also for giving my Arantxa a tough time in her early part of the career..including a double bagel! lol but they certainly had a great rivalry, Gaby led Arantxa in head to head 12-11, but anyway most of all, Gabriela Sabatini is and will be one of the best players of the 90s! Good luck to her in her life!
Julian is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:30 AM   #103
bwguy

bwguy has disabled reputation
This article is in tomorrow's (July 2, 2002) Times (London):

Model competitor setting example by continuing to court success

by Alison Kervin

IT IS a brilliant, sunny afternoon at Wimbledon and a tall, dark-haired woman is standing on the veranda above the members’ enclosure, surveying the scene beneath. While she watches, she is being watched. Dozens of pairs of eyes are trained on Gabriela Sabatini, the glamorous former tennis player, who looks as head-turning now as she did ten years ago when fans flocked to watch her play, warm up or train. Now 32, she is slimmer than she was as a player and every bit as captivating.

While she looks down on to the show court below, oblivious to the attention being bestowed upon her, people wander up, look at her, comment on how good she looks, then turn and walk away.

Sabatini smiles appreciatively as people approach her, thanking them for taking the trouble. Her primary interest, though, is in watching the culmination of the match taking place below, featuring Anna Kournikova. “She’s a good player,” Sabatini said, shaking her head. “A very good player. But she isn’t going to win anything playing like that. C’mon, Anna. Some work, please.”

This is an interesting scene — the woman considered the great beauty of her playing days looking down on the woman now considered the most beautiful on the tennis court. There are differences between the two, though. Sabatini never courted publicity, while Kournikova bursts into life before the lens, attracted to it like a moth to a flame. Sabatini just cannot understand why someone with Kournikova’s tennis abilities does not put the modelling on the back-burner and throw everything into her game.

“She needs to get down and really focus on her tennis now,” Sabatini said. “She can do the other stuff later. How could she not want to be the best she can? I know she says she’s training hard and I’m sure she thinks she is, but — just look. It’s not working.”

Sabatini engrossed herself in tennis to such an extent that some doubted she had any personality at all. She was described as having “tennis elbow of the personality” when she walked on to court without a smile and conducted her media relations with a seriousness and brevity the press could barely believe.

Pam Shriver once said that, during a tournament in Brighton, she tried to break the ice by joining the Sabatini entourage for breakfast. “I must say, they were awfully quiet breakfasts,” she said later. “There may be an outgoing side of her, but it doesn’t come out in the locker-room or anywhere around tennis.”

That Sabatini kept herself to herself made her appear a little aloof and mysterious, which simply added to the mystery and charisma that surrounded her — the dark-haired girl with the soulful eyes, turning her back on everyone. “She’ll be walking around the court with her head down,” Shriver said, “and suddenly she’ll look up and smile and she has this incredible aura around her.”

Sabatini heard what was being said but never felt the need to explain herself. “I won the US Open because of my tennis,” she said. “I have no problem with my personality, I just didn’t feel the need to show it to everyone when I was on the court. If you’re trailing in the world rankings, even the most beautiful face is useless.

“I know a lot of people wanted me to be more expressive and, I suppose, have more fun — but tennis was not like this for me. It was more serious. When I stopped playing, I lost a stone in muscle straight away. I was training so hard. It was incredible, looking back, but it worked. I was able to reach my tennis potential, which was important to me because I had been involved since I was very young and wanted to be the best I could.”

Sabatini began playing when she was 6 after being given a racket by her parents, Osvaldo and Beatriz, hitting a ball against a wall because she had no one to play with. She describes the day she received her first racket as “that day which changed my life for ever”.

When she was 8, she began working with Daniel Fidalgo, a club coach who spotted her potential. A couple of years later, she met Patricio Apey, a coach who took her to Florida for professional training. Apey is still her manager.

Once she moved to Florida, her career blossomed. Her first Wimbledon was in 1986 and, despite lacking grass-court experience, she became the second-youngest player to reach the semi-finals. Sabatini’s world ranking moved to just outside the top ten. The next year, she reached the semi-finals of the French Open for the first time.

In 1988, Sabatini reached her first US Open final, losing to Steffi Graf. In Seoul later that year, she represented Argentina at the Olympic Games and, in 1990, she won the US Open, beating Graf, going on to reach the Wimbledon final the next year.

“In 1989 I won a tournament in Filderstadt and they presented me with a Porsche. Unfortunately, my brother crashed the car soon after I won it. Isn’t that just typical of young men! When I heard about the crash, I was obviously very concerned that my brother was OK. I didn’t ask about the car at all. People thought this was odd and they wrote in the newspapers that I must have a heart after all. Again, it all surprised me. Of course I had a heart.”

Sabatini’s best years were in the early-1990s. She had reestablished herself as No 3 in the world rankings and in both years she won five tournaments. In 1991, she became the first woman athlete to sign a multimillion-dollar contract with Pepsi and, in 1992, she had a rose named after her. “Wasn’t that lovely,” she said. “Imagine hearing that a rose is to be called your name.”

Then, at a press conference at Madison Square Garden, she announced her retirement at 26. She simply said she was done, posed for a few pictures and left the competitive arena for ever. She said simply that she had had enough and it was time to move on. She has barely lifted a racket since.

Today, Sabatini has a thriving business promoting a range of perfumes in her name, a new range of watches and a clothing line that is particularly popular in Germany. She lives in Argentina but also has a house in Key Biscayne, Florida. “I don’t miss tennis at all,” she said. “I stopped because I needed to become normal again — I wanted time to have some sort of life, see friends and family and not wake up every morning knowing that all I would be doing is hitting a tennis ball.”

The women’s game has changed greatly since those days. “There’s so much power, such big shots now,” she said. “I was a muscular player, but the girls today are incredible. Everything’s improving — technology, strength.”

Sabatini says that her one desire now is to settle down and start a family, but she has yet to meet the right man. “With tennis, you travel so much that you aren’t able to begin relationships. It is funny, though, because in the newspapers you read all the time about men you are supposed to be having relationships with, whereas you are at home or in a hotel, tucked up in bed at night to prepare for the next day.”

If she fulfils her dream and has children, would she like them to follow in her footsteps? “That is a hard question. I think tennis life is a hard life and it does not suit all people. But I have had much from the sport. If I had a daughter, I wouldn’t buy her a racket, that’s for sure. But I would help her in any way I could if she decided that’s what she wanted to do.”

Sabatini attends few tennis events these days, so her appearance at Wimbledon is all the more cherished by those she encounters. “Hey, Gabby. I used to have pictures of you all over my wall,” one man says. Sabatini looks embarrassed, so the man apologises. “No, don’t worry,” she quickly responds. “You said ‘used to’. I was just wondering why you took them down.”

“Wow,” the man says. “I think I’ll put them up again.”
bwguy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:35 PM   #104
country flag Bероника

Thanks bwguy for posting this article.Very interesting! I miss Gaby very much.
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:16 AM   #105
country flag Bероника

[IMG]http://www.**********************/gaby9.jpg[/IMG]