The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 23 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #331
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Hey guys, she was not used to that since here we have very lively crowds but they like and respect great players, even if they beat ours. Just to make things clear, it was in an Argentina-Chile Davis Cup series that chairs were thrown over the court, but it was played IN CHILE. Please be careful when you write nasty things about other countries, maybe they don't look much different at American eyes, but WE ARE NOT THE SAME, and least of all about Chile, which most Argentine people (including me) dislike.
But it's all OK, I'm not mad at this
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #332
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute
It was meant as a joke. Lighten up. Davis Cup matches
in Latin America, going back decades, have been known
to get out of hand. Ditto for some soccer matches.

Hey, we had the NBA players going into the stands
to choke a fan, as annoying as the fans were, they
didn't deserve that. So, it's all over the place.

I was kidding, that exhuberant fans are not
uncommon...neither are really dumb ones.
samsung101 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #333
country flag Joey_82

Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all
Hey guys
nice to hear gaby stories here.
got any more please, would love to hear to them.
thanks.
Joey_82 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:47 PM   #334

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101
Has she ever been in the news or gossip magazines
for anything bad?

Drop dead drunk in a bar, dating a complete sleaze
ball guy, using bad language, hating her parents,
that type of thing. Tara Reid or Oksana Baul or
any NBA player over here.

I think that's probably a goal too - just stay out
of trouble! Or maybe that's an American thing,
so many famous people only get in the news when
they do something bad or sleazy or crazy.

How is Argentina these days? Is the financial
crisis over, or better? I hope so. I'd love to visit
Argentina some day, it looks great. I think the
dollar goes far there nowadays too.

Thanks for the information.
Thanks for your interest. We are better in Argentina now, but we are not fine. We still have a lot of
troubles to deal with, and unfortunately most of our politicians think only about their pockets, there's enormous corruption here and it's hard to make a good living, even for high level workers (I am a young lawyer myself and sometimes I have to save some coins and stop from buying tennis balls!)
To change to a nicer subject, Gabriela's never been involved in "scandal" here. Most people like and respect her, besides she is really discreet and leads a very simple life, not much show-offy, she is not usually seen on TV or in magazines either. She is only working on her business and to some extent on local tennis development, 'cause she gives some money regularly to Tennis Association to help juniors training and travelling (but she doesn't want the Association to make a fuss about it). The worst comment I ever heard about Gaby on TV was made by a direputable gossip show host who hinted scornfully about her sexuality (yes, people can laugh about someone's preferences here if they are not "normal"), and I have to say that there's a common feeling among ordinary people here that she might be or have been a lesbian, yet she dated even with famous men as Ricky Martin, and she apparently has a boyfriend from some time now. But she is generally respected and loved for her unique talent, her so-called beauty and her affable nature, yet there are some who speak of her in a "reproachful" tone of voice for not having reached world N°1. Besides, she's never had a "diva" attitude, which is something typical of most Argentine people, especially the famous ones: she is one the most famous people born here and yet she's not like that at all.
Buenos Aires biggest newspaper once pubished an article on Gabriela that started quoting a tango lyrics:
Era más clara que el agua, que el agua clara
Era más fresca que el río
Naranjo en flor...
Así es G. S.
(She was clearer than water, clear water
She was fresher than the river
An orange-tree in bloom...
Gabriela Sabatini is like that)
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:54 PM   #335

By the way, have you ever seen her play? How great was she?
I'd have loved to see her and Steffi and Martina and Mónica, but as there are no tournaments here it was impossible (but fortunately I could watch Gaby play once during a Fed Cup series as I live in Northern Argentina, she was awsome!)
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:49 AM   #336
country flag Joey_82

Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all
Talking

Gabybackhand, thanks for that nice Gaby bit.
I really love reading what other fans hear or read or even when they see Gaby and specially those who are from Argentina, I love Argentina, thats why .

Gaby was never like a diva, thats true. But she is respected and loved soo much, she held herself in such a unique grand way. And I admire her for keeping her private life so private, and being successful at it. Specially when she has a famous family. I wonder if we will even be told when she gets married. Her fan boards are saying something about it being soon, I don't know how they know, but I'd love some new pictures and articles about Gaby.
miss her much.

I hope things in Argentina will start to look up soon. Thigns around the wolrd are all not soo good these days. It's scary.

I loved that bit, you mnetioned about the newspaper that wrote that article about Gaby.

Always love to hear Gaby bits. Thanks.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:03 PM   #337
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the information about your country.

Argentina is very important to the entire region,
and I hope it continues to get better. Politicians, they
all have the 'answer', and yet, few get anything done.

I hope for the best for your country, and for you too
in your work! Keep us updated, it's fun to know what's
going on. We don't get much information about
Argentina in America, unfortunately.

Gaby's allowed that kind of talk to go on by not leading
a very open private life. Compare her to Anna Kournikova
or Hingis who were always with a different guy in public
doing something outrageous. Being a female athlete,
I think being called gay comes with the territory, true
or not. Not many female athletes escape that rumor.
Sometimes it is true, sometimes not.

Mike Piazza and Steve Young and Troy Aikman, American
athletes, all were teased or had rumors about them
being gay, and waiting so long to get married. All got
married over 35. They just put up with it. But, it's
probably even worse for a pretty Latin woman to deal
with.

In her case, I think she would just live her life entirely
out of the spotlight if it were true. I think she would
probably not have the big business things she has, and
promoting things in Europe, if she were. Because it only
invites attention, and if you're trying NOT to be seen as
something, why bring more attention to yourself. She has
a load of money,loads for a lifetime.

As a fan, I'd like to see her have a family of her own,
married or not. She seems happy w/Mariano right now.
I'm sure their families are pushing it on them too!
Ha ha.

Yes, like Janet Jackson, I would not be surprised to find
out she is already married, and just did not want to share
it with everyone else. Anna K. did that too didn't she
with the hockey player.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM   #338
country flag samsung101

I'm a baseball & football fan, and all three of the guys I
mentioned led very quiet private lives. They were called
gay because they did NOT have lots of wild girlfriends,
have kids outside of marriage, get arrested, or do drugs,
or other things a lot of professional male athletes do
in America (not all, but the infamous ones). Piazza
married a Playboy playmate recently, and he's still
getting dogged by the 'gay'rumor. Same for Troy
Aikman. Some weirdos even call Agassi gay, even now
when he's married with 2 kids! You can't win sometimes.
I heard people saying that about Annika Sorenstrom, and
she just got divorced, and leads a very quiet life.

As for the fansite mentioning Gaby being in the marrying
mode, she has a chat about twice a year at her perfume
site forum. In the past people asked questions about
boyfriends & marriage, & she usually ignored those. But,
last time she hinted that you just never know when that
could happen, any time, something like that. With an
exclamation point. That was taken as a 'maybe', by fans.
Wishful thinking? We all want the best for her, so I'm sure
it's about 50/50 on that one.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:47 PM   #339
country flag samsung101

But, if you do get any information about her
being drop dead drunk in a bar, let us know!
Ha ha!

Thank you for posting the pictures. Very nice.

The other thread about boyfriends/husbands has
a few on Gaby too.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:54 PM   #340
country flag samsung101

I never saw her play personally.
I only paid attention to tennis at all
around 1994. So, I only saw her play
the last few years of her career. Which
were not her best. But, she seemed very
nice.

I'm a big fan of Agassi and Graf and
now Nadal and the Williams Sisters.

I prefer football, baseball, and basketball.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM   #341
country flag Joey_82

samsung101, I really enjoy reading your posts. thank you.

Regarding what her fans are concluding from her chats, I read more posts from the past on her unofficial message board, they talk a lot about her and Mariano, plus it seems they concluded that they even split up somewhere in 2003 or so, then got back together. That board is very amussing to read and has so many information about Gaby, hats off to the owner of that board. I enjoy it a lot.

So it seems you are right, it is all a guess from her fans hoping it was true or wishing it to become true. Maybe, I guess we will never know. But you do have a point about her going public with more business ventures and other public appearances. She wouldn't do it if she was trying to hide it all away. Who knows. I'm just glad I found so many Gaby fans on the web.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:25 PM   #342
country flag samsung101

Keep us abreast of Argentina! It's fun to read. It
really looks like a beautiful country.

Yes, I've heard that about Argentina - portenos.
They look beautiful, and know it, and show it.
Nice that Gaby isn't too full of herself.

The perfume things are big shows in Germany and
elsewhere, and the exhibtions have been on tv and
in magazines. That's not exactly hiding out or doing
things that won't draw attention.

German tabloids are well known for getting dirt on
people, and I don't think a lesbian lifestyle would be
hidden for long there or anywhere else. Wouldn't
they out her just to squash the 'sex symbol' image?
Germany and Argentina have a natural rivalry going
in most things.

Rula Azar's site and Isa's site too (isa1077) have a few
articles of interviews with Gaby in magazine & papers
where she is asked directly about lesbians and gay rumors.
She answers them. She didn't make them off limit questions to reporters. She does not seem to be trying
to hide anything. I know stars like Tom Cruise forbid
those questions from even being asked.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #343
country flag samsung101

I did go back and read at Rula Azar's site (and I think
'isa1077' site) the articles, and yes, she was asked what
she thought of being rumored to be gay, or if she was gay.
It was in spanish, so it's rusty for me.

Can you imagine a male player being asked that
question? Would never happen.

She answered the questions directly. Give her
credit for that.

She should either win an Academy Award for lying,
or a hug for putting up with the pressure on her
personal life.

She said it hurts her to hear such rumors, and even
talked about the stories in the bar or party in Florida and
Italy. Confronting reporters directly about these things
too. She said she has gay friends, played doubles
with some gay players, not a big deal to her. But, she
likes men she says. Just not going to do anything
open about that either.

Just my two cents, if she is gay, I think she would not
do anything to promote the rumor or idea for reporters
or fans. I think she would do the exact opposite to fend
off such stories. I think her family would not be happy
about her living that way openly either. As much as they
love her, and maybe I'm wrong, they seem to be
a very traditional Latin American Catholic family.
I cannot see her parents happy about a gay daughter
and daughter in law, can you?

Do you know if they are still close? Or is there a public
rift in Argentina? I've seen nothing to show that.
But, we don't get much news on her.

It would be pretty funny if she was asexual and could
care less about men or women!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #344

Yes, the Sabatinis are kind of a traditional family, but their ancestors were Italian as many people's here too, and they all like family and big familiar dinners full of pasta and all that stuff. But she is still very close to them, for even if she's been living alone for some 3 years, her appartment is across the street from her parents'. She is very close to her brother too, Osvaldo (Ova as she calls him) has always been her best friend, she is godmother to his eldest daughter and Gaby is very good friend of her sister-in-law, Catherine Fulop, a Venezuelan actress who came here about 15 years ago; she is a gorgeous woman and is regularly chosen the sexiest woman in Argenine TV. She hosts a gym TV show too, she is 40 and she is really HOT! But Gaby is beautiful in a unique way maybe.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #345
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101
...It would be pretty funny if she was asexual and could
care less about men or women!
Or a hermaphrodite with both options at her South Beach disposal!