The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 22 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM   #316
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute
Has she ever played an exhibition with
Aranxta or Mary Joe?

Since she retired.
samsung101 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM   #317
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Gabriela's perfumes are made by a German company. They started in 1.989 and there haver been 14 of them; every year a new one is released. The last one is called Elegance, and Gaby looks gorgeous in the ad picture (see the first page of this thread!)
Yeah, it all is very professionally done, and they are not distrubuted to the States, I don't know why because I have always read she used to be very popular there. Is still so Samsung? The perfumes do very well, especially in Brazil and Europe (Germany above all)
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM   #318
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute
In the USA? I would say not that popular today,
or in any recent past.

I think tennis fans know her, and the name is
easy to recall from the 80's, 90's. But, famous
here now? No, I don't think so at all. I have
not seen her on American tv for anything in
years, or in magazines, anything like that.
I can understand why her stuff isn't sold here.
Not that I have ever seen anyway.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #319
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
In the USA? I would say not that popular today,
or in any recent past.

I think tennis fans know her, and the name is
easy to recall from the 80's, 90's. But, famous
here now? No, I don't think so at all. I have
not seen her on American tv for anything in
years, or in magazines, anything like that.
I can understand why her stuff isn't sold here.
Not that I have ever seen anyway.

I mean, popular among tennis fans. Yet she's hardly ever seen on TV or magazines here in Argentina, she's really discreet and doesn't like to be under spotlights. You only see her pics at perfume shops. And she shows up in any tennis event here (they're not many unfortunately), as Buenos Aires ATP event in February and Davis Cup series
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #320
country flag samsung101

Not really popular. Known as a famous
tennis player - Graf rival, etc.

But, what would she show up for anyway?
She was famous for playing tennis, and her
best days were nearly 15 years ago. It would
be nice if she were more involved with a big
charity like Agassi is.

I don't recall her being a very talkative person,
or comfortable with interviews, like the Williams
Sisters are. More like Edberg I guess, quiet.
You don't see much of him these days either.

What other famous Argentinian female athletes
are there? Do they lead more public lives?
Vilas, Clerc, do they stay in the public eye a lot
more?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #321
country flag samsung101

Has she ever been in the news or gossip magazines
for anything bad?

Drop dead drunk in a bar, dating a complete sleaze
ball guy, using bad language, hating her parents,
that type of thing. Tara Reid or Oksana Baul or
any NBA player over here.

I think that's probably a goal too - just stay out
of trouble! Or maybe that's an American thing,
so many famous people only get in the news when
they do something bad or sleazy or crazy.

How is Argentina these days? Is the financial
crisis over, or better? I hope so. I'd love to visit
Argentina some day, it looks great. I think the
dollar goes far there nowadays too.

Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #322
country flag jamesuk

jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold
How popular was she with other players?

Vaguely remember Seles being upset after kiling her at the Canadian Open 95 since Gaby had been supportive of her ranking freezing thing???

I remember her totally unemotional when that paint bomb got thrown at her during the LA final 88, like a robot!
jamesuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #323
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
What? Please give a few details!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk
I remember her totally unemotional when that paint bomb got thrown at her during the LA final 88, like a robot!
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #324
country flag samsung101

1988, that seems like a 100 years ago!

Never heard of this story.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #325
country flag jamesuk

jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold
As she was almost about to lose at the end of the 3rd set, some guy threw some paint bomb thing at her as she was starting to serve. Play stopped and they cleaned up the court for a bit then they continued. It is funny to hear the overly dramatic commentators fear for Evert's safety as she is watching it all go on standing by the net "Someone please get her out of there!!!!" All that was needed was for one of them to say Oh the humanity!! or Wont somebody PLEASE think of the children!!!!
jamesuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #326
country flag samsung101

I never heard of this.

What could she do? Just ignore it I guess.
Deadpan, stoneface, game face. She toughed
it out..ha ha.

Nowadays, that would be considered dangerous.

Then again, Argentina Davis Cup matches have
included brawls and chairs being thrown, so she
may have been used to that kind of thing.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #327
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Posted by Jamesuk It is funny to hear the overly dramatic commentators fear for Evert's safety as she is watching it all go on standing by the net "Someone please get her out of there!!!!" All that was needed was for one of them to say Oh the humanity!! or Wont somebody PLEASE think of the children!!!!
Thanks for sharing JamesUK-Sounds like a funny moment. Was he in support of some cause or just a nut wanting attention?
Rollo is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #328
country flag samsung101

It was Los Angeles, that's an everyday thing!
Ha ha.

Please share any other stories you may have
about Gaby.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #329
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101

Please share any other stories you may have
about Gaby.
Not really a story as such, but when Pam Shriver played the 14-year-old Sabatini at Hilton Head in 1985, the American fans in the stands all rooted for "the divine Argentine" (as Bud Collins used to call her). Shriver joked in her book that if Americans wanted to root for a foreigner over a "born on the 4th of July, proud to be a Yank" American girl, then so be it.

Oh, and Mike Lupica called Gabriela Sabatini "the best name in tennis" in his annual "Best and Worst of Tennis" list in 1987. (Poor Carling Bassett won top honours for the worst name in tennis.)
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #330
country flag samsung101

It is a good name. Agassi has a great name too - AA.

Most of the new Russian players have names that are
almost impossible to pronounce or spell!
Closed Thread