The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #256
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm happy so many Gaby fans have found this thread.

Question: Has anyone ever seen the expensive photo book of Gaby by a Japanese photographer? Last time I checked it cost about 50 US and the one copy on Amazon was for over 200!

It's called Dancing on the Court (1997)
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #257
country flag Joey_82

Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercub
I always thought it was interesting Graf and Sabatini played doubles together. If I remember, it was thought at the time to be a WTA scheme to get more people to watch doubles, but I bet they liked playing doubles together. As teenagers they were both very shy, so didn't really expect each to be social off court--Gaby didn't even speak much English. Maybe that's what Graf meant, she thought Gaby would be shocked to be asked to dinner. The partnership ended when Gaby wanted to play more doubles; Steffi didn't, and the split was amiable. By the way, Ms. Sabatini speaks three foreign languages now; English, Italian and some French.

Well they did win Wimbeldon together so they must have been good.
by the way, Gaby now speaks English Italian Spanish and Portugues fluently and understands and speaks a bit of German. Learning languages and singing are her two passions after tennis I read once.
She's something.
Joey_82 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #258
country flag Joey_82

Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all Joey_82 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo

Question: Has anyone ever seen the expensive photo book of Gaby by a Japanese photographer? Last time I checked it cost about 50 US and the one copy on Amazon was for over 200!

Hey Rollo,
I saw that book at amazon as well. I typed the authors name online and found that on one of Gabys websites, they did an interview with the guy and you could buy it by emailing him directly I believe. It's a good interview.
check it out:
http://www.geocities.com/rulagaby/AR...interview.html
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #259
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I always thought it was interesting Graf and Sabatini played doubles together. If I remember, it was thought at the time to be a WTA scheme to get more people to watch doubles, but I bet they liked playing doubles together. As teenagers they were both very shy, so didn't really expect each to be social off court--Gaby didn't even speak much English. Maybe that's what Graf meant, she thought Gaby would be shocked to be asked to dinner. The partnership ended when Gaby wanted to play more doubles; Steffi didn't, and the split was amiable. By the way, Ms. Sabatini speaks three foreign languages now; English, Italian and some French.
Hey tiger,
thanks for letting us know.I never knew why they broke their doubles partnership.They really seemed to get on well in their last exho.
Well Gaby seemed to get to get on well with almost every player on tour.She's such a nice lady.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #260
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo

I hasdn't heard about this book earlier.Thanks for letting us know.But It's too much expensive.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #261
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I always thought it was interesting Graf and Sabatini played doubles together. If I remember, it was thought at the time to be a WTA scheme to get more people to watch doubles, but I bet they liked playing doubles together.
From what I've read the idea of having Graf and Sabatini play doubles together was Peter Graf and Osvaldo Sabatini's brainchild. They thought it would increase their daughters' commercial appeal if they played together especially since the two of them were being touted as the heiresses apparent to Evert and Navratilova.

Quote:
As teenagers they were both very shy, so didn't really expect each to be social off court--Gaby didn't even speak much English. Maybe that's what Graf meant, she thought Gaby would be shocked to be asked to dinner.
Yes, this is what I thought Graf meant. She did say once that she and Gaby could spend hours together in a room without speaking a word to each other. That was when they were both shy youngsters, though.

Quote:
The partnership ended when Gaby wanted to play more doubles; Steffi didn't, and the split was amiable.
According to a story I read, Gaby decided to end the partnership when Carlos Kirmayr came on board as her coach and he advised her to stop playing doubles with Graf because he thought it contributed to what he thought was Sabatini's mental block -- and consequently her lopsided head to head -- against her doubles partner. They played together for the last time at Wimbledon 1990.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #262
country flag tigercub

tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice
It's so funny, trying to remember stuff from 20 years ago...Anyway; the tennis dads Peter and Osvaldo, what a pair they were! Mr. Graf was just a nightmare and Mr. Sabatini always struck me as a bit sinister under his pleasant exterior. Both seemed very controling so maybe the doubles thing was their idea. I remember Gaby (coached by Kirmyer) wanted to play more doubles to become more proficient at net. I didn't think the doubles split had anything to do with "mental edge." I just remember in an interview, Graf, when asked why they split just said "because Gaby wants to play more than I do", or something like that...who knows. They were fun to watch as a team though, as were the Graf/Sabatini singles matches.
tigercub is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #263
country flag tigercub

tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice tigercub is just really nice
Of course, if you are a lesbian, you like to think it was "sexual tension" that broke them up...hehe.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #264
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Of course, if you are a lesbian, you like to think it was "sexual tension" that broke them up...hehe.
Let's face it, Steffi would have been on top in THAT relationship.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #265
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Stupid poll in GM at the minute:

Who is the more beautiful - Graf or Sabatini - sheesh!
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #266
country flag Gabriela azsab

Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice Gabriela azsab is just really nice
yeah and another one with her and kournikova, but someone said it exactly as it is: Gaby is a woman, was a woman ad Kourni age, but Anna is a girl. So no competition.

And we know they are both not lesb. Graf married with kids, and Gaby with boyfriend (here we say novio, which is a bit more than a boyfriend) for 5 years now.

But Gabys father wan't harsh at all. He was a good guy, Gaby always said, she discribed him in her book, as a teddy bear kind of man. Maybe Grafs father was a little more harsh I think.
Gabriela azsab is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #267
country flag Joey_82

the voting there is really close, I wish Gaby will win it
common Gaby fans vote for Gaby

Who is he? Gabys boyfriend, howcome no one ever mentioned him?
is he the same one from her last pictures at the ATP tourniment?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #268
country flag tigercub

Gaby's novio is Marinao Grisolia; yes, the same guy in the picture from the ATP (couldn't she have done a bit better?) I don't know anything about him (like age, what he does for a living etc.) I do know he has the same last name as a very longtime friend of Gaby, a woman named Lujan Grisolia. Don't know if he is a cousin of Lujan or what. Ms. Sabatini is just very private I guess, that's why he is not mentioned much? Personally, I think she is deeply in the closet. I wish her well...
Nice to learn Mr. Sabatini is a "teddy bear", and was not a scary tennis dad.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #269
country flag gabsab1670

gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice gabsab1670 is just really nice
Wink Gaby's boyfriend

Yeh, Gaby's boyfriend is called Mariano Grisolia, they knew each other at the end of 2000 and, since this day, he's her boyfriend. Some magazines here in Argentina published a few articles talking about them in 2001-2002 but then, they completely disappeared of the media, they're both very discreet, quiet & reserved. Gaby never liked to talk about their boyfriends, she does respect their private life and doesn't want the journalists to bother them, it's normal. She often appears with him in public in particular in Argentina but he also travels with her when she does promote her perfumes or when she plays exhibitions... He's not the most handsome man I ever saw but is the look that much important ? I don't think so, he's surely a good guy because Gaby chose him to be her boyfriend and maybe soon her husband... Qualities like honesty, sincerity, seriousness and intelligence is much more important than the look if you want your relationship to last more than just a few months... Vamos Gabriela !!!

Here are 2 links where you can see a few articles and pics about Mariano and Gaby :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/messa...eid=1108578168

http://www.network54.com/Forum/messa...eid=1110086894

Gaby is the most beautiful woman and I love her !!

Gabriel
gabsab1670 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #270
country flag Joey_82

Smile Mariano

Great! thanks you guys.
It's great to hear she is happy,as you say.
She does look happy in all her recent pictures. from the Atp at Buenos Aires
and the Davis cup. With him there.

Thanks tigercup and gabsab. Gaby fans are sure great detectives
how did you guys find all this information out?
and thanks for the links. don't understand Spanish but the pictures are nice.
Closed Thread