The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:59 AM   #211
country flag Itairpac

Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough Itairpac is a jewel in the rough
Great Pictures

Veronika, great pictures, thanks for sharing!!! Haven't seen Gabriela in a while. I appreciate the memories!!!
Itairpac is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:00 PM   #212
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Have you all heard about that exho match she'll play against Graf?

Here's a photo to celebrate her "comeback":

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM   #213
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Graf, Sabatini to clash in Berlin

Graf, Sabatini to clash in Berlin

Friday, 27 August , 2004, 05:22

Berlin: Legendary German tennis ace Steffi Graf is to pick up her racket once again to face long time Argentine rival Gabriela Sabatini in a charity match in Berlin on September 25.

Graf, 35, retired from tennis five years ago but is set to grace the court once again with the match proceeds going to her 'Children for tommorrow' foundation.

"We are delighted this match is taking place here where she began her great career," explained Eberhard Wensky, tournament director of the German Open.

Graf, married to top men's player Andre Agassi, won 22 Grand Slam titles in a glittering career.

The first of those was back in 1986, when she was just a raw 16-year-old, as Graf triumphed over Martina Navratilova in the final of the German Open in Berlin.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM   #214
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the article veronika - you've given me a new avatar.

Go Gaby on the 25th September !!!
Kart is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #215
country flag Karlos1964

Karlos1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,
I'm new to this site/thread and just wanted to introduce myself.
Firstly I'm a huge Gaby fan. I can also offer a fairly (and I hope unique) insight into Tennis. I am a Professional Sports Photographer and I travel all over the world to Photograph Tennis. So, yes, I've taken pics of Gaby at Wimbledon, Roland Garros, New York, Melbourne, Miami to name but a few, going right back to Wimbledon 1985 I think it was, when Gaby was just 15.

I would be happy to share some memories on this forum...
Karlos1964 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #216
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Memory:
Living on Amelia Island, I often volunteered at the Bausch and Lomb. My first B&L was Gabby's last in '95. She lost in the final to Conchita. That year had one of the weakest fields the tournament had seen. My wife and I sat courtside for one of her matches. She was much more beautiful in person that she was on tv. She cruised through the tournament until Conchita dominated her in the final.

I was in the Publix Supermarket during the tournament and who should come down the aisle pushing a cart but Gabriela Sabatini?! I just hadn't imagined her shopping for groceries during the tournament.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 11:37 PM   #217
country flag Bероника

Watching Gaby the other day playing that exhibition match vs Steffi,it made me even realize even more how much I miss Gaby There's just no one like her in today's tennis.I wish today's players had half the class,charm,art and grace Gaby had.But I know this is not going to happen

Hi preacherfan! and thanks for sharing with us your Gaby experience.You should be happy.You were closer to Gaby than most of us will ever be.

By the way,I finally bought one of famous Gaby's perfumes.I like it,but I don't use it very often as I bought it abroad (it's impossible to find it here in Spain ),and I don't want it to end too soon.

Anyone else saw this match?
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #218
country flag Bероника

Some photos of the match:

(this is one of the best pics i've ever seen of her)

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #219
country flag Bероника

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #220
country flag Bероника

Seems like old times: Graf beats Sabatini

Five years after her retirement, Steffi Graf was smacking forehands again.

The tennis great returned to the court Saturday and defeated former rival Gabriela Sabatini 6-1, 7-5 in a benefit match in Berlin for the Children for Tomorrow organization.

Graf has kept a low profile since quitting the tour. She prepared hard the last four weeks for her one-day return, training with Darren Cahill, coach of husband Andre Agassi.

“I was incredibly nervous at playing this match,” Graf said. “I tried to catch up on all the things I haven't done these past five years.”

Graf, 35, has been raising two children with Agassi and had turned down all offers to play publicly. She relented this time after promoters promised that proceeds would go to children who are victims of war and persecution.

“That's really close to my heart,” Graf said. “That made up my mind.”

The match was broadcast live on TV across Germany, where Graf remains one of the country's biggest sports stars.

Sabatini also worked out for the benefit, but she admitted she didn't have much chance against Graf, winner of 22 Grand Slam titles.

“She's just hitting the ball very well,” said Sabatini, who won just 11 of their 40 career meetings. “It was like old times. Nothing's changed.”
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #221
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Me thinks Gaby made a deal with the devil!!The older she gets the better looking she gets!
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #222
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Karlos-do share!

Welcome to the Blast

When did you start photographing tennis?
Was it obvious to you from the start that the camera "loved" la bella Gabriella?

I always thought she just oozed drama when caught on still film. Those expressive hands, flowing hair..

We look forward to more posts
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #223
galadriel

galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for this great photos,Vero
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #224
country flag Karlos1964

Karlos1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
I started Photographing Tennis about 20 years ago (non professionally) and remember can Gaby's first Wimbledon, 1985 I think it was. It was obvious that even at the age of 15 she was a natural in front of a camera. I have some photos at home of Gaby from Wimbledon 1985.
Wimbledon was always the most interesting tournament to do and the British Tabloid press loved Gaby so much. I remember on many occasions on Centre Court or Number 1 court the Photographers seats might only be half full for the match before Gaby but as soon as Gaby appeared on court they filled up very quickly..!
I have been very lucky at I have been able to Photograph Gaby at the slams and places like Key Biscayne, where she always had a good following as it was in theory her home tournament.
My biggest regret? Without doubt, not being at the US Open in 1990 to see her lift the title. I had only just turned pro and wasn't trusted on foreign trips at the time!
My biggest disapointment? There are 2. Watching Gaby lose in the Wimbledon final in 1991 (it actually hurt to have to take pictures of Steffi with the trophy) and also the Lipton 1995 semi final v Kimiko Date. Gaby was a set and something like 5-1 up but lost in three. It really hurt to see her suffer in that thid set.
I am fortunate enough to know Gaby on a "nodding basis", she knows who I am and I obviously know who she is as I've photogrpahed her on 100's of occasions. A friend of mine, an australian photographer, actually knows her quite well as he worked with her on many occasions for Prince racquets.
To my mind she was, and still is, much more photogenic than Kournikova or Sharapova and the Tennis Circuit is much the poorer without her.
Karlos1964 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #225
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Karlos, I remember seeing highlights of Gaby's Wimbledon debut in 1985. After Hilton Head that year, I wanted to pay particular attention to her and how she did. It seems like I remember her winning a struggle on the old Court 1 that year against maybe one of the young British players.

I was thrilled the next year when she got to the Wimbledon semis. I loved watching her beat another one of my favorites, Catarina Lindqvist, in the quarters that year.
HanaFanGA is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread