Bad blood between Russian girls? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #31
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
The word they mean is: taunt. To ridicule, to insult, to make fun of.
It's certainly possible that Maria's father was being childish and vulgar, but I still doubt that there was a fight that needed security to break it up.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #32
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Because Tennis Magazine wrote about this supposed incident between Yuri Sharapova and Glen Schaap doesn't mean it happened. As GL pointed out, no other media outlet in the world reported anything unusual about the Maria Sharapova victory over Nadia Petrova. And if Nadia made an obscene gesture to Maria you can be sure the media covering the match would have jumped all over that.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #33
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
There really shouldn't be any articles about Masha's dad taunting anyone. That's Jim Pierce and Damir Dokic behavior.
Maria's dad shouldn't say one unfriendly word to these women.
Nadya's a professional athlete. Who is he? Some athlete's relative.
His name shouldn't be in a tennis magazine unless it's a profile of Maria.

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #34
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
GL, Jim Pierce and Damir Dokic did much worse than what Yuri Sharapov allegedly did. The key word is allegedy. And you yourself said that you never read anything about this incident and you read reports on the Maria Sharapova - Nadia Petrova match back in August. And that makes me dubious about what Tennis Magazine reported. I would think this supposed incident would have been talked about and covered a great deal. But it wasn't.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #35
VeraNuVirgosFan

VeraNuVirgosFan has disabled reputation
I’ve just got to read this thread today. What do you mean by saying “Bad blood between Russian girls?” ?

And even if we believe the Tennis magazine’s article, still Maria did nothing wrong. Yes, she pumped her fist. But so many other tennis players (both men and women, and also some top players) out there who pump their fist when they win a point/game/set/match.

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра
Vera – You are my #1!! Я тебя так благодарна!!

* Maша Sharapova * Nicole V * Venus * Лена Dementieva * K-Lina Šprem *
VeraNuVirgosFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 02:49 AM   #36
VeraNuVirgosFan

And also, Masha has come a very long way to becoming who she is now – when she first arrived in America, she almost had nothing. But Masha has “always been really strong inside and tough mentally”, and she has set her goals very high. So if a few players on Tour don’t like her or if she doesn’t get to play the Fed Cup, I don’t think it would worry her much.

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:05 AM   #37
country flag goldenlox

There are so many Russians who are so close in ability that competitive fires will burn.
This article was about a player's relative, and they should not insult other players.
But there's no proof anything was said.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #38
the cat

Maria Sharapova has the competitive disposition to be a top tennis player. She is a fierce competitor. But she is a kind person, too. She showed that with her genuine concern for the health of the injured Milagros Sequera after their Quebec final. A photo of Mashara's concern and kindness towards Sequera is located at www.mariaworld.net/quebeccity039.jpg

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:27 AM   #39
VeraNuVirgosFan

Yes, it must be true about Maria having fiercely competitive nature.

After losing to Maria at DFS Classic in Birmingham, Dementieva said: “Maria is a very good fighter and plays every single point from first to last.”

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:35 AM   #40
country flag goldenlox

Most of these girls are competitive. And when they're starting their careers, they all believe they'll become #1.
Each is limited in some ways. But a lot of Russians are going to have really good careers.

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:50 AM   #41
VeraNuVirgosFan

goldenlox, you wrote that when the Russian girls “are starting their careers, they all believe they will become #1.”
But do they really say it as their goal, as Maria does, or not? (I’m just curious to know.)

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #42
country flag goldenlox

Every young player doesn't get interviewed and quoted. But Kournikova is famous for quotes like that. So was Hingis. As players mature, they learn that these quotes sound arrogant, or sound like an insult to the current top players.
I think that Maria won't talk like that in a few years.

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:26 AM   #43
VeraNuVirgosFan

goldenlox, thanks a lot for your insightful viewpoints.

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:46 PM   #44
the cat

The way the Russian girls treated a heartbroken Vera Zvonareva after she lost the deciding Fed Cup match was deplorable! And I'm sure the very likable Vera won't forget it.

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM   #45
country flag goldenlox

You're right. Nadia and Lena didn't win any matches. Nastya didn't win on Thursday.
Don't blame Vera, each player has to do more next year. And in following years.