Hospitals Owe Debt To Islam - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #1
country flag lakeway11

lakeway11 has disabled reputation
Hospitals Owe Debt To Islam

on the day of 9/11 i think it proper to give a little article on Islam...

Hospitals Owe Debt To Islam
By Steve Connor
The Independent - UK
9-11-3

Modern medicine owes much to the scholars of the medieval Islamic world, who pioneered the diagnosis and treatment of human disease, a science historian told the conference.

The very first hospitals were built around AD800 in Baghdad and they were much more sophisticated than the simple monastic hospices that grew up in Western Europe several hundred years later, said Emilie Savage-Smith of St Cross College in Oxford.

The largest Islamic hospitals were built in Egypt and Syria in the 12th and 13th centuries. Patients were treated in wards dedicated to different illnesses, such as gastrointestinal complaints, eye ailments and fevers. "The establishment of an extensive system of hospitals was one of the greatest achievements of medieval Islamic society. It was in the context of these hospitals that the teaching of medicine at bedside was first introduced by Arabic-speaking physicians of the 10th century," Dr Savage-Smith said.

"In Islam there is a moral imperative to treat all the ill regardless of their financial status. These hospitals were open to all, male and female, civilian and military, rich and poor, Muslims and non- Muslims." The hospitals had several purposes: as a centre of medical treatment, a convalescent home for those recovering from illness or accident, an insane asylum and a retirement home giving basic maintenance needs for the aged and infirm who lacked a family to care for them.

As well as translating and interpreting the works of classical Greek medicine, Islamic scholars wrote a vast medical reference library to understand disease, pain, injuries and childbearing.They described infectious diseases such as smallpox and eye conditions such as catar-acts and successfully did minor operations such as tonsillectomies.

For a thousand years, Islamic physicians kept alive the traditions of classical medicine from Greece and Rome.

© 2003 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=442206

"Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws." –-John Adams

"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision." - Orthodoxy, 1908

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." - Chapter 2, Heretics, 1905
lakeway11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #2
country flag GBFH
College Grad

GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Well someone had to start it.
GBFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #3
country flag Cassius

Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of
Yeah, before the crusades, Islamic scolars had mapped out the artery and vein network of the human body (and a bunch of other medical stuff that I've forgotten), and some even theorised that if you split an atom great energy would be released!
They thought that before the crusades.
Cassius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #4
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFH
Well someone had to start it.
thats just like saying someone had to get to the moon first
i still don't think they did ...... it was probably in Arizona somewhere.
cos the FLAG is moving about in the breeze
and everyone knows there is no WIND on the moon.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #5
country flag Cassius

Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of Cassius has much to be proud of
Also, on the film of Armstrong coming down the ladder on the moon's surface, the are no stars in the background.
And there's something about a '+' being on the camera lens, so anything filmed should be under that cross, but there's something which overlaps ABOVE the cross, which is impossible because the cross is on the camera's LENS!!!!!!!
Cassius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #6
country flag GBFH
College Grad

GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute GBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
thats just like saying someone had to get to the moon first
i still don't think they did ...... it was probably in Arizona somewhere.
cos the FLAG is moving about in the breeze
and everyone knows there is no WIND on the moon.
lmao
GBFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote