Chris Evert Thread - Page 99 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1471
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
what do you think would make it stand out more? i actually lose sleep at night that people sit around re-playing 5 minute youtube clips about 1 1/2 inches tall, when they could be watching the full matches on a full screen. did you ever notice the 'evert museum' part that is next to it???
Daze, it does stand out! I don't know why I didn't notice it before! Maybe it's a case of "people only see ,what they want to see"! I did notice the "Evert Museum" notice, next to it, which just makes it harder to explain, why I didn't "see" the other one.
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #1472
country flag BaselinersChrisE
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough

1973 Evert(4) bts Court (1) Wimbledon

I really enjoyed watching this match. Chrissie the Ice Cool Maiden bts the No 1 playear at Wimbledon and how much she had improved after her debut in 1972. Chrissie was so cool in this match and it was lovely to see her sitting on the umpire stand, using it as a chair. Her passing shots were exquisite and she passed Court routinely. Court's record at Wimbledon in the singles is nowhere as good as Evert's and I don't really understandy why Court is ranked above Chrissie at Wimbledon. Yes the Grand Slam counts but Court hated Wimbledon and her nerves were very evident in this match. Great to have the commentary from good old Dan Maskell and Anne Jones. There was someone called Billy who was he? Bill Trelfall? Shame Chrissie could not beat King the next day! But BJK like Martina was the Queen of Wimbledon! Still Evert beat Court at Wimby a huge achievement 6 1 16 61 Quite and odd soreline but I feel Chrissie was easily the superior player to Court at Wimbledon. Agree that King and Navratilova were above her but she had her chances to beat them. Intersting enough Chrissie only lost finals to the creme de la creme: King, Goolagong & Navratilova.
BaselinersChrisE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1473
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
when you go to the front page, it is a big box at the bottom, where it also says 'evert museum' ... have you not seen either of those? ...there at the bottom? and there i thought you were always on the look out for bottoms.

tell me where it would have to be to catch your eye. i thought it was 'slap you in the face' obvious but proof is in the pudding how many people keep not finding that.
DazeI do like bottoms- grizzly hairy onesNo seriously I think the reason is that I always went straight for the results and interviews. But worry not I have found and will be ordering soon!!!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1474
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I hate to admit this,but I have never noticed it, sorry Daze! Maybe it just doesn't stand out, I'm off now to have another look!
Good Morning SueThank goodness I am not the only one to have failed to notice it!!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #1475
country flag iainmac

Quote:
heck, i think i just may add a tab at the top with the other items in brown... people probably scan that with their eyes.
DazeWe are just silly Brits after all- remember we prefer the Times newspaper, a pipe and a pair of slippers. Technology and referencing on the internet leaves us confused!!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM   #1476
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselinersChrisE View Post
1973 Evert(4) bts Court (1) Wimbledon

I really enjoyed watching this match. Chrissie the Ice Cool Maiden bts the No 1 playear at Wimbledon and how much she had improved after her debut in 1972. Chrissie was so cool in this match and it was lovely to see her sitting on the umpire stand, using it as a chair. Her passing shots were exquisite and she passed Court routinely. Court's record at Wimbledon in the singles is nowhere as good as Evert's and I don't really understandy why Court is ranked above Chrissie at Wimbledon. Yes the Grand Slam counts but Court hated Wimbledon and her nerves were very evident in this match. Great to have the commentary from good old Dan Maskell and Anne Jones. There was someone called Billy who was he? Bill Trelfall? Shame Chrissie could not beat King the next day! But BJK like Martina was the Queen of Wimbledon! Still Evert beat Court at Wimby a huge achievement 6 1 16 61 Quite and odd soreline but I feel Chrissie was easily the superior player to Court at Wimbledon. Agree that King and Navratilova were above her but she had her chances to beat them. Intersting enough Chrissie only lost finals to the creme de la creme: King, Goolagong & Navratilova.
Good post, I agree with it. Court was the greater player overall I have no real doubt of that. But at Wimbledon I cant see how Evert could rate below Court. Her record of consistency there is unbelievable. I mean apart from the 3rd round loss to Kathy Jordan she always got to the semifinals. Frankly that is incredible. As far as the semifinal of 73 was concerned Court was ill with a flu virus and should perhaps have pulled out of Wimbledon. But that in no way detracts from the historic achievement of Evert defeating her. Especially as the close run match in the French Open final must have been fresh in both their minds.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1477
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Good post, I agree with it. Court was the greater player overall I have no real doubt of that. But at Wimbledon I cant see how Evert could rate below Court. Her record of consistency there is unbelievable. I mean apart from the 3rd round loss to Kathy Jordan she always got to the semifinals. Frankly that is incredible. As far as the semifinal of 73 was concerned Court was ill with a flu virus and should perhaps have pulled out of Wimbledon. But that in no way detracts from the historic achievement of Evert defeating her. Especially as the close run match in the French Open final must have been fresh in both their minds.
Hi Iain, thanks for the replyAlways interesting comments

Further Musings on Evert v Court, King & Martina
I don't agree Court was the better player in singles overall. Doubles yes. Chrissie won more French Opens, won more US Opens and lead in the personal head to head. Tracy, Evonne, BJK and Martina especially gave Chrissie more trouble. I think she found Court a much easier opponent to play than say King or Goolagong. Also I feel Chrissie held off a clutch of more challenging rivals Graf, Austin, Mandlikova, Wade, King, Goolagong and Martina. In a head to head I would still pick Chris to beat Court at the peak of their powers.

Somehow, I feel Chris is not always given the credit for what a great champion she was by some critics. There was an interesting article written in Tennis Today on Wimbledon 82, where the writer wrote of the friendly triumvirate of King, Evert & Navratilova, Evert would come of worse in a final assessment of the greats. How prophetic that was then, even before Martina began her domination! BJK was very upset with Martina in 82 because prior to Wimbledon she openly said she was the Greatest Ever with detailed analysis in one newspaper where she stated the weakness of all her rivals. I remember thinking at the time, how over the top. Unfortunatley Martina's self prediction was to be proven true and now BJK also says Martina is the greatest ever, which I agree. To be playing fantastic tennis at 50 is a huge achievement. Just a shame back then in 1982 she did no have the grace to be a little more sensitive! Chris played Martina 9 x at Wimbledon, winning 2. I felt in quite a few of the matches (78, 82, 84, 85 & 88) she had opportunities but somehow could not convert. Martina's serve seemed to be the key. She would win easy points and in the 80s Chrissie struggled with the net rushing pressure/tactics. In a US Tennis article she said on grass she felt beaten before their matches began which I find a bit odd. She gave herself a 30% chance to win. So Chrissie's mental confidence in the 80s was low at Wimbledon from 82 onwards. She is human after all!

BJK also seems down on Chrissie in recent years - her comments towards Chris at the naming of BJK Tennis Center 2006 were a little mean. Chris was a great WTA President for about 8 years after the weak year of 76! In her 81 Biography she wrote how fond she was of Chris and that their rivalry/friendship meant the most. Time changes I suppose
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #1478
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't agree Court was the better player in singles overall. Doubles yes. Chrissie won more French Opens, won more US Opens and lead in the personal head to head. Tracy, Evonne, BJK and Martina especially gave Chrissie more trouble. I think she found Court a much easier opponent to play than say King or Goolagong.
I would especially agree, if you consider that the same court who won the grand slam (that is definitely an 'in form' margaret) was beaten in straight sets by a 15 year old evert. though different games match up differently against different players. kathy jordan is tougher to beat than court, if you ask chris.

court to her own admission always had doubts, and i think chrissie's endless self belief is probably what made her a better singles player, all technical capacities aside. still she also had more strokes and better touch. but if you prefer the merits of a serve and volley game, and consider it the truer way to play tennis, than chris does not match her there. court had wonderful agility and awesome power.

though i would also say the career of chris evert is itself a rebuttle to the notion that serve and volleying was superior. it was just more appealing to testosterone fueled men.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1479
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I would especially agree, if you consider that the same court who won the grand slam (that is definitely an 'in form' margaret) was beaten in straight sets by a 15 year old evert. though different games match up differently against different players. kathy jordan is tougher to beat than court, if you ask chris.

court to her own admission always had doubts, and i think chrissie's endless self belief is probably what made her a better singles player, all technical capacities aside. still she also had more strokes and better touch. but if you prefer the merits of a serve and volley game, and consider it the truer way to play tennis, than chris does not match her there. court had wonderful agility and awesome power.

though i would also say the career of chris evert is itself a rebuttle to the notion that serve and volleying was superior. it was just more appealing to testosterone fueled men.
Great thoughtful and perceptive points. Agree that Chrissie was mentally tougher. Kathy Jordan also posed great problems for Tracy Austin. In 82 she nearly beat Tracy in the 4th round at Wimbledon. Jordan was a bug bear for both players. In fact Jordan nearly knocked Tracy out in the 79 US Open 4th round!

Wimbledon is a great show case for the Serve Vollyer Style as the surface of grass strongly favours this. I remember Chrissie being interviewed in 1990 before the Wimby Final and she casually remarked how Wimbledon's grass suited Martina's style of play and she said Martina would be around for many years to come!

I love the Baseline style the most, but contrasting styles make tennis beautiful to watch. As Chrissie and BJK both said the crowds love the Basliner v the Volleyer, making tennis exciting.

Chrissie was the lone Baseliner in the 70s & early 80s until the arrival of Tracy Austin. I remember people dissing the two handed backhand style when I was teenage tennis enthusiast. But I loved the style of Chris, Jimmy & Bjorn. I remember imagining playing at Wimbledon and US Open when I played on the public grass courts in Wandsworth SW London in sunny and wet weather. Such a romantic tennis era

Now so many copy her two handed style, showing the huge mark Chris' style has left on tennis. I remember reading a Martina late 90s quote "Why are the so many Chrissies out there?!", indicating a little jealousy!
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1480
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't agree Court was the better player in singles overall. Doubles yes. Chrissie won more French Opens, won more US Opens and lead in the personal head to head. Tracy, Evonne, BJK and Martina especially gave Chrissie more trouble. I think she found Court a much easier opponent to play than say King or Goolagong. Also I feel Chrissie held off a clutch of more challenging rivals Graf, Austin, Mandlikova, Wade, King, Goolagong and Martina. In a head to head I would still pick Chris to beat Court at the peak of their powers.
Interesting musings. However, one has to remember that Court was suffering at that Wimbledon with a virus (and a bad back I think) and really didn't have the energy to fight such a tough battle in that Semi against Evert. This was validated by the fact that Court beat Evert on clay in the French Open Final and also on grass at the USO and finally on hardcourt in the WITC Final. So Court definately had the wood on Evert in that season, and had she have been healthy I also believe she could well have won that Wimbledon Semi.

The other thing to note, is that prior to Court retiring to have her 2nd child, she was 4-4 in her clashes with Evert. She only faltered in her battles with Evert after coming back in 1975. No surprises there - after 2 births Court was just a shadow of her former self. At the end of 1973 Evert was interviewed in the WITC Finals and she said she always had really tough matches with Court. Whoever won usually won in a tight encounter. But she said she either won easily, or lost easily to King. And I think that was more surface related. So to suggest that others gave Evert a tougher time is not accurate.

Court was one of the few women (along with Richey) who could really push Evert in a baseline battle and it was a shame Court had to retire in 71 and 74 because I think their rivalry could have been a magic one during that time period if you look at the great clashes they had against each other in 1973:

1970 Charlotte, NC SF EVERT 7-6, 7-6
1972 Bonne Belle Cup EVERT 6-3, 6-3
1972 Indianapolis, IN SF EVERT 6-3, 7-6
1972 Newport, RI SF COURT 6-3, 6-0
1973 French Open F COURT 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
1973 Wimbledon SF EVERT 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
1973 U.S. Open SF COURT 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
1973 Hilton Head, SC Final COURT 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..

Last edited by tennisvideos : Dec 4th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1481
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
what do you think would make it stand out more? i actually lose sleep at night that people sit around re-playing 5 minute youtube clips about 1 1/2 inches tall, when they could be watching the full matches on a full screen. did you ever notice the 'evert museum' part that is next to it???
Perhaps a Certain Someone should instead focus more on UPDATING!!!!his tennis DVD listings. Heck, the "1981 Italian Open SF & F – Evert d. Collins 6-1 6-2/ d. Ruzici 6-1 6-2 (combined edit, 1 hour in Italian) NEW!" match DVD option was "new" back when Chris and John were still tradin' off with Kreik & Trish.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1482
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
Perhaps a Certain Someone should instead focus more on UPDATING!!!!his tennis DVD listings. Heck, the "1981 Italian Open SF & F – Evert d. Collins 6-1 6-2/ d. Ruzici 6-1 6-2 (combined edit, 1 hour in Italian) NEW!" match DVD option was "new" back when Chris and John were still tradin' off with Kreik & Trish.
yeah that shows you how long its been since theres an update!! i'm a very busy person outside of tennis dvds, so at some point i decided that over 270 chris evert matches was enough. if chrisevert.net was a company, then its 'acquisition department' was let go with a zero budgetary allotment!! there are no plans for any more matches, but rest assured the first generation copies of 70% of whats there, predominantly the semi & final round matches, are originated from that collection.

hell, i wouldnt want anyone to think i was piggishly cornering the market!! best to leave a little wiggleroom for others to navigate in!!!

Last edited by daze11 : Dec 4th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #1483
country flag iainmac

Quote:

Somehow, I feel Chris is not always given the credit for what a great champion she was by some critics. There was an interesting article written in Tennis Today on Wimbledon 82, where the writer wrote of the friendly triumvirate of King, Evert & Navratilova, Evert would come of worse in a final assessment of the greats. How prophetic that was then, even before Martina began her domination! BJK was very upset with Martina in 82 because prior to Wimbledon she openly said she was the Greatest Ever with detailed analysis in one newspaper where she stated the weakness of all her rivals. I remember thinking at the time, how over the top. Unfortunatley Martina's self prediction was to be proven true and now BJK also says Martina is the greatest ever, which I agree. To be playing fantastic tennis at 50 is a huge achievement. Just a shame back then in 1982 she did no have the grace to be a little more sensitive! Chris played Martina 9 x at Wimbledon, winning 2. I felt in quite a few of the matches (78, 82, 84, 85 & 88) she had opportunities but somehow could not convert. Martina's serve seemed to be the key. She would win easy points and in the 80s Chrissie struggled with the net rushing pressure/tactics. In a US Tennis article she said on grass she felt beaten before their matches began which I find a bit odd. She gave herself a 30% chance to win. So Chrissie's mental confidence in the 80s was low at Wimbledon from 82 onwards. She is human after all!

BJK also seems down on Chrissie in recent years - her comments towards Chris at the naming of BJK Tennis Center 2006 were a little mean. Chris was a great WTA President for about 8 years after the weak year of 76! In her 81 Biography she wrote how fond she was of Chris and that their rivalry/friendship meant the most. Time changes I suppose
Great post- from the play I have seen I disagree re Evert beating Court if they were both at their best, but Chrissie is such an GOAT that you could be right. What did BJK say about Evert? I hadnt heard any controversy when the centre was opened? And yes I always thought that Evert and BJK were good friends???
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1484
country flag iainmac

Quote:

DazeI dont know if that is true- on the contrary the serve and volley game appeals to many people. Anyone can hit groundstrokes at club level for instance. By no means can everyone serve and volley. It is a beautiful thing to watch when done well.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1485
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Great thoughtful and perceptive points. Agree that Chrissie was mentally tougher. Kathy Jordan also posed great problems for Tracy Austin. In 82 she nearly beat Tracy in the 4th round at Wimbledon. Jordan was a bug bear for both players. In fact Jordan nearly knocked Tracy out in the 79 US Open 4th round!

Wimbledon is a great show case for the Serve Vollyer Style as the surface of grass strongly favours this. I remember Chrissie being interviewed in 1990 before the Wimby Final and she casually remarked how Wimbledon's grass suited Martina's style of play and she said Martina would be around for many years to come!

I love the Baseline style the most, but contrasting styles make tennis beautiful to watch. As Chrissie and BJK both said the crowds love the Basliner v the Volleyer, making tennis exciting.

Chrissie was the lone Baseliner in the 70s & early 80s until the arrival of Tracy Austin. I remember people dissing the two handed backhand style when I was teenage tennis enthusiast. But I loved the style of Chris, Jimmy & Bjorn. I remember imagining playing at Wimbledon and US Open when I played on the public grass courts in Wandsworth SW London in sunny and wet weather. Such a romantic tennis era

Now so many copy her two handed style, showing the huge mark Chris' style has left on tennis. I remember reading a Martina late 90s quote "Why are the so many Chrissies out there?!", indicating a little jealousy!
Hello, apart from the 79 Open match I dont remember Jordan posing Austin any difficulties. Even the 82 match was 46 61 62 if I remember.And Evert the lone baseliner till Austin? Dont tell that to Nancy Richey, Sue Barker, Kerry Reid to name a fewI did get the jist of what you are saying and you are correct.