Chris Evert Thread - Page 96 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #1426
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi67 View Post
Good point. The press certainly had a problem with King and Navratilova, whether it was their athleticism or sexuality that caused the bias I don't know. The public have always seemed to like beauty with their athleticism, and many of the greatest players have obliged!
MimiI guess it is just that the majority of people are happy with stereotypes as it reinforces their lifestyles and beliefs. Thus to see a beautiful woman like Evert is great as is a masculine man like Newcombe for instance. I think it is a little different now and diversity is more tolerated but it was vital in the 70s that Evert was around to maintain the interest in the game.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1427
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
this is the point that chris played against martina - where, after winning, she threw her arms up in victory!
DazeShades of Paris 85 in that image dont you think?
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #1428
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

http://www.cameraworkusa.ndedit.com/...20Classic/Gala
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #1429
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54 View Post
Thanks for the link Pinapin.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1430
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
this is the point that chris played against martina - where, after winning, she threw her arms up in victory!
Great Pic, thanks Daze Chrissie looks really happy to have won that point!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1431
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54 View Post
Thanks for al the pics, Pinapin, it looks like a great time was had by all!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #1432
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Great Pic, thanks Daze Chrissie looks really happy to have won that point!
SueIt really does remind me of her reaction when she won the French Open in 1985!!!!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1433
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
SueIt really does remind me of her reaction when she won the French Open in 1985!!!!
Macky Considering that was over 20 years ago, Chrissie is still looking pretty good!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1434
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselinersChrisE View Post
Hi Daze, thanks for such an interesting article on Chrissie's charity event. Truly magnificent that she has raised so much money for charity and good causes! I always knew there was a caring soul behind her "Ice Maiden" persona. I also love reading your insights and perceptions about Chrissie's personality - very perceptive and interesting.

Great also so to see how Martina is supporting Chris - a true and genuine friend! I notice Pam Shriver is always around too - which is nice. I remember watching Martina in 78 beat BJK in the Eastbourne semis and thinking if it was not for Chris Evert or Evonne Goolagong - Martina would have been my favourite player. She was so exciting then and on the crest of a breakthrough, with very interesting personal history. Glad though that I supported and still support Chrissie! She has to be one of tennis' most Romantic Champions!

Chris does look a little drawn in the photos - but then organizing such an event must be stressful especially at a time when her love life is in crisis. Hope Chris comes through all this.
funny, martina was my 2nd fav player in the late 70s, though i didnt know goolagong as well then so she is my 2nd favorite, having the broader knowledge now!

when navratilova beat chris in the 78 final, i was totally voting for chris, but i thought, 'if someone else should win, it should be martina - she deserves to get one!' though i was not happy that she repeated it in the 79 final.

i even liked martina thru 1981... nancy lieberman was just bad news for her, though she did bolster navratilova to historical heights. its just that nancy sold martina a view of chris that was entirely untrue. chris was NOT laughing all the way to the bank and the record books, taking advantage of navratilova's laissez-faire attitude. she was always just challenging herself, as her greatest competition, to rise to her challenges and being a winner. but it was never personal. but lieberman convinced martina that chris was psyching everyone out, and that she had to learn to hate chris and make her life about beating her. i hate that it got personal, and i thought martina changed in many ways that made her less appealing as a person... so thats when things changed for me.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1435
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Macky Considering that was over 20 years ago, Chrissie is still looking pretty good!
Good Morning SueI agree. She may have looked a little drawn when dressed up for social occassions but she looks great and relaxed out there on the court!!!!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #1436
country flag iainmac

Quote:
funny, martina was my 2nd fav player in the late 70s, though i didnt know goolagong as well then so she is my 2nd favorite, having the broader knowledge now!

when navratilova beat chris in the 78 final, i was totally voting for chris, but i thought, 'if someone else should win, it should be martina - she deserves to get one!' though i was not happy that she repeated it in the 79 final.

i even liked martina thru 1981... nancy lieberman was just bad news for her, though she did bolster navratilova to historical heights. its just that nancy sold martina a view of chris that was entirely untrue. chris was NOT laughing all the way to the bank and the record books, taking advantage of navratilova's laissez-faire attitude. she was always just challenging herself, as her greatest competition, to rise to her challenges and being a winner. but it was never personal. but lieberman convinced martina that chris was psyching everyone out, and that she had to learn to hate chris and make her life about beating her. i hate that it got personal, and i thought martina changed in many ways that made her less appealing as a person... so thats when things changed for me.
DazeIt is sad that Lieberman got in the way of what had been, and would be, a great friendship. I think it is telling re the emotional vulnerability of Navratilova that she was so easily persuaded to adopt the attitude she did. I wonder if she looks back and regrets it or just sees it as a fundamental part of her rise to be the greatest player of her era???
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #1437
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
Good Morning SueI agree. She may have looked a little drawn when dressed up for social occassions but she looks great and relaxed out there on the court!!!!
Good Morning Macky She was probably glad to have a day away from all her troubles! What better way to do it, than meet up with old mates, and hit a few tennis balls!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1438
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
DazeIt is sad that Lieberman got in the way of what had been, and would be, a great friendship. I think it is telling re the emotional vulnerability of Navratilova that she was so easily persuaded to adopt the attitude she did. I wonder if she looks back and regrets it or just sees it as a fundamental part of her rise to be the greatest player of her era???
At the time Chrissie was really hurt by this! I think at the time, they had a "kill Chris"" thing going on Martina, has said sorry, but that doesn't change the hurt, that was felt at the time.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #1439
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Good Morning Macky She was probably glad to have a day away from all her troubles! What better way to do it, than meet up with old mates, and hit a few tennis balls!
SueThat is for sure it is the most therapeutic thing to do. And she always loved to compete so being out there in the fresh air with her mates blasting the ball would be better than any medication or drink in invigorating her mind!!!!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1440
country flag iainmac

Quote:
At the time Chrissie was really hurt by this! I think at the time, they had a "kill Chris"" thing going on Martina, has said sorry, but that doesn't change the hurt, that was felt at the time.
SueI suppose Navratilova was still a pretty lonely person in a way. It has never been said definitively but she must have been in love with Lieberman. Like Chrissie would know better than anyone love can lead to some irrational thoughts and behaviour!!