Chris Evert Thread - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #121
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Great pic. Did anyone actually see this ceremony? I wonder if the ever blonder tracy tried to trip the Legend from Lutherville?
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #122
macn

macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I watched it in disbelief. I was shocked because I could remember at least a dozen matches previously between these two where Chris just dissected Zina's game like a surgeon, but Chris was totally flat this day. I hated to see it purely from a tennis standpoint, because nice as Zina was (and is)- her game was a conglomeration of bad tennis- choking up on the racquet, bad technique on virtually every stroke, and volleys that were often hit as if she wasn't sure where to go- and most of the time she had no clue. I applaud the work she does with inner-city clinics, though!
I saw that match and Zina had an answer for everything Evert tried to give her. Chris has stated that Zina sliced and used spin on the ball and she couldn't handle it. Zina beat Chris on clay which was a major feat. Zina managed to beat the legends at the majors. Graf, Goolagong and Seles at Wimbledon, Navratilova and Evert at the U.S. Open.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #123
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Good point Macn. Zina couldn't be that a bad player as she had beaten all the top players on various occasions. Still I was surprised that she beat Evert that day and Evert played worse than in her match vs. Seles the round before. Still she should have used a 5:2 lead in the first set.
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #124
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Picture time. Evert made tons of mag covers.

Newsweek -1972.

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:48 AM   #125
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool People Cover from 1975 with BJK.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:49 AM   #126
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Don't know the year-1980? 1981? My guess is 1980.

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:54 AM   #127
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1973 British mag

And Sports Illustrated with Connors when they were the "Love Double" in 1974. Hewitt and Clijsters pale by comparison!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ll.jpg (46.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg sport10.jpg (91.1 KB, 95 views)
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #128
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Loving those covers! Thanks Rollo.

I am going to look on eBay for the People mag. I have the SI with Chris and Jimminy Glick.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #129
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute
Here's great pic of my girls Chrissie and Carling Bassett-Seguso. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EvertBassett8431.jpg (32.1 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by carling : Dec 15th, 2003 at 02:14 AM.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #130
arefriendselectr

arefriendselectr is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Picture Of Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
1973 British mag

And Sports Illustrated with Connors when they were the "Love Double" in 1974. Hewitt and Clijsters pale by comparison!
Rollo, you hit it on the head when you said "Hewitt and Clijsters pale by comparison!"
Here's another example of why Chris shall never be matched on the court.
Enjoy!

arefriendselectr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #131
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Chris Evert........

I have to say that I didn't fully appreciate Chris while she was around. I've always liked a more risky type of game - especially a serve and volley game. I didn't root for often, but I did make an exception at the '85 French...that was too tempting. Besides, I didn't want her to retire. I really enjoyed seeing Martina and Chris play. Now that they're gone (from singles) there's nothing like it. I don't think any two players ever played such high quality against each other like they did.

Now when I see Chris play, I realize that she was aggressive. She forced so many errors and was a good athlete.
HanaFanGA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #132
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by carling
Here's great pic of my girls Chrissie and Carling Bassett-Seguso. Enjoy!
Here's a question for all you researchers: I actually got to see Chris Evert and Carling Bassett play doubles together in the mid 1980s. It was at the Amelia Island event and their opponents were Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals, whom they defeated. What year was it?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #133
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
i hate to admit i may know this, but i have the results from a lot of her doubles, in which she appears to have played with carling frequently in 1985:

Family Circle Magazine Cup playing with Carling Bassett

Canadian Open Players Challenge playing with Carling Bassett

U.S. Open Championships playing with Carling Bassett

And the only other option is 1984. 1986 was mostly Turnbull & Anne White exclusively. 'Amelia Island' back then (in 84) was right after 'Family Circle Cup' and by the French that year, she played with Pascale Paradis.

So I'm putting my $$ on 1985 Amelia Island.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #134
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
i hate to admit i may know this, but i have the results from a lot of her doubles, in which she appears to have played with carling frequently in 1985:

Family Circle Magazine Cup playing with Carling Bassett

Canadian Open Players Challenge playing with Carling Bassett

U.S. Open Championships playing with Carling Bassett

And the only other option is 1984. 1986 was mostly Turnbull & Anne White exclusively. 'Amelia Island' back then (in 84) was right after 'Family Circle Cup' and by the French that year, she played with Pascale Paradis.

So I'm putting my $$ on 1985 Amelia Island.
Thank you! I'll never forget that night, because it was drizzling just enough to be annoying, but not enough to stop play, and the match was very much youth and beauty vs. the experienced old gals, who were very much out of their element on the wet, slow, green har-tru. Chris and Carling clacked their racquets at the net several times, and even began laughing about it (neither was a volleyer waiting to happen). The featured singles match was supposed to come on afterward, but Hana Mandlikova came out, inspected the wetness of the court, and pretty much told the officials the court was unplayable, and so that doubles was all we got to see that night. Such a beautiful venue, though, and one of the only places I know where the stadium was built around the beautiful old trees.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #135
tommystar

tommystar has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Here's a question for all you researchers: I actually got to see Chris Evert and Carling Bassett play doubles together in the mid 1980s. It was at the Amelia Island event and their opponents were Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals, whom they defeated. What year was it?
Amelia Island USA
WT 15 Apr 1985 to 21 Apr 1985 Entry : DA Clay (O)
Chris EVERT (USA) / Carling BASSETT (CAN)
32 W CASALS (USA) / KING (USA) 6-7 6-2 6-1
16 W MONTEIRO (BRA) / VERMAAK (RSA) 7-5 6-3
QF W HANIKA (FRG) / TEMESVARI (HUN) 6-4 6-7 6-3
SF W GARRISON (USA) / MC NEIL (USA) 0-6 7-6 6-4
FR L FAIRBANK (RSA) / MANDLIKOVA (TCH) 1-6 6-2 2-6
tommystar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote