Chris Evert Thread - Page 55 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #811
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
It does ring alarm bells with the way Evert pushed John Lloyd and the consequent break down in their marriage. I know that you cant compare Lloyd with Norman in any way. The latter one of the greats of the game of golf. But why does Evert and Norman feel the need to take this all so seriously? His career at the upper levels is finished and you would think that they would enjoy life a little bit more? Why is it so serious now? I am not criticising Evert and her drive- this is what makes her an all time great. But I think an elderly man so unhappy on a golf course with a face so strained is not an edifying sight.
I think it's the nature of the beast. It is what makes great champions, they never like to lose. Yes it's Senior Golf, but you can bet every player out there, is in it to win it. Also there is a lot of money at stake. Great players always like to win, it might only be at cards or tiddlywinks, but the desire is still the same.

As for Greg and Chrissie having fun, they seem to be having a lot of that! They have just come back from a month Down Under, but next week, Greg has said, it's back to work.
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #812
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I know people with morals may question some of her life style- breaking up marriages etc- but that is her personal life and not reflective on her qualities as a champion.
i have morals, and have always loved how evert chooses growth and continuance instead of accepting a rut and getting comfortable. it's totally in line with her championship quality that she continues to go toward the new growth. of course some one would say that leaving a relationship is giving up, but it could also be seen as giving up to stay in a dead relationship. as 1970s love-coach leo buscaglia used to say, "we do not love but love loves through us." ie, not something we control or dictate the nature of. everlasting love is great if you can find it, but just as great is growing through new relationships and influences.

i know this is singing to the choir, for most of us - but i hate the idea presented that 'those with morals' are the stuck traditionalists who place religion before spirituality. so my trap opens almost on automatic when i hear those references! most 'seekers on a path' in life have every bit a sense of 'morals and ethics' as the dogmatic 'religious' folk who wish to own those words, but who probably -- due to the rigidty and judgmentalness of their positions-- actually have less of a right to bask in the glow of ethical superiority.

Last edited by daze11 : Jul 25th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #813
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

God save us from religion

Titles (7) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome, YEC Singapore
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #814
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

I hate when people talk about growth and this "rut" thing. Everybody is societal dependent and its not like Chris broke a social taboo like Richard Crenna did in "Doctors Wives" with Dianne Sands.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #815
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
I hate when people talk about growth and this "rut" thing. Everybody is societal dependent and its not like Chris broke a social taboo like Richard Crenna did in "Doctors Wives" with Dianne Sands.
deeear trivfun, DEAR dear trivfun, NOR the type of growth mae west so often experienced with men!! she practically invited ruts for people to work through!! she certainly made societal dependence work for her. ...but i too will keep on topic.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #816
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I think it's the nature of the beast. It is what makes great champions, they never like to lose. Yes it's Senior Golf, but you can bet every player out there, is in it to win it. Also there is a lot of money at stake. Great players always like to win, it might only be at cards or tiddlywinks, but the desire is still the same.

As for Greg and Chrissie having fun, they seem to be having a lot of that! They have just come back from a month Down Under, but next week, Greg has said, it's back to work.
Oh I understand that is why these people are such great champions. But they have had an emotional roller coaster to come together in life, and it would be sad at their ages if competitive pressures gets in the way of their happiness.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #817
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
God save us from religion
Absolutely- and David Cameron.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #818
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
i have morals, and have always loved how evert chooses growth and continuance instead of accepting a rut and getting comfortable. it's totally in line with her championship quality that she continues to go toward the new growth. of course some one would say that leaving a relationship is giving up, but it could also be seen as giving up to stay in a dead relationship. as 1970s love-coach leo buscaglia used to say, "we do not love but love loves through us." ie, not something we control or dictate the nature of. everlasting love is great if you can find it, but just as great is growing through new relationships and influences.

i know this is singing to the choir, for most of us - but i hate the idea presented that 'those with morals' are the stuck traditionalists who place religion before spirituality. so my trap opens almost on automatic when i hear those references! most 'seekers on a path' in life have every bit a sense of 'morals and ethics' as the dogmatic 'religious' folk who wish to own those words, but who probably -- due to the rigidty and judgmentalness of their positions-- actually have less of a right to bask in the glow of ethical superiority.
Well said Daze- that is superb. I adore Evert and feel the same way you do about her search for growth and the futility of sterile relationships. If I am being honest I was in a playful mood yesterday and decided to play devils advocate and see who would respond. As it is you have done so in a lovely prose. I just wish that some of the conservatives to whom you refer could even attempt to argue your rationale- they would fail.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #819
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I dont have a clue but I respect you so I take your word for it.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #820
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
deeear trivfun, DEAR dear trivfun, NOR the type of growth mae west so often experienced with men!! she practically invited ruts for people to work through!! she certainly made societal dependence work for her. ...but i too will keep on topic.
I know I dont see why you should be able to go off topic when I was given into trouble for doing so. That is the difference- Everts thread like her game beautifully tailored and controlled. No frills. No emotions. The Navratilova thread- controversial, diverse, attacking, non controlling. Most interesting and reflective of the two players. Freudian or what?
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #821
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Absolutely- and David Cameron.
Careful, you'll get told off again.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #822
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
Careful, you'll get told off again.
I know- I better behave myself Samn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #823
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Oh I understand that is why these people are such great champions. But they have had an emotional roller coaster to come together in life, and it would be sad at their ages if competitive pressures gets in the way of their happiness.
The commentors at the golf today, think Greg should play more golf not less! They think he does fantastically well to get so close, but that he needs to be more match tight.

Greg has said,he is cutting his travelling back next year from 42 weeks, to 20. That is so he can spend more time with Chrissie and his family. So maybe they have come to the same conclusion as you, being together is what counts the most.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #824
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
I'd like to ask what social taboo, but I know that is not allowed, so I will take your word for it!

Last edited by chrissiefan : Jul 26th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #825
country flag daze11

My two cents on is that the threads are used for chatting and discussion but also as something people like to go back over and read, on a particular topic. It does get difficult if we start having to sift through pages of personal communications when you refer back to the threads for research. We see this in how threads re-emerge disappear and re-emerge; somebody remembers a discussion from 6 months ago and brings in new information, or someone comments in a new thread about an old topic, and we bring that thread back up...which usually does get folks to read a few pages to catch up.

So lots of us understand we make personal connections here, and why shouldnt we, but many of us do engage in plenty of personal messages for that reason; thats why we have an inbox. offense should not be taken.

IMO, it's all of our jobs in the forums to keep things generally on track for organizations sake. In 'GM' it doesnt matter as much because they will prattle on about anything and rarely even consider formulating an opinion before spouting one out!! things are a little more refined in BFTP. at least, it seems that way to me.

sometimes i'll be talking to someone about the tracy-chris rivalry, for instance, and i'll think 'ooo! someone made a really good point about x, y, or z...lemme see what that was again!' and I go scrambling for the thread. If i am scrolling through 3 pages of conversations on vacation spas etc, it is cumbersome. No hard and fast rules, but just a general guide line I try to stick by for this reason.

Last edited by daze11 : Jul 26th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.